Peep sight pointlessness?

Rogerborg
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

My CYMA M4 came with flip up "iron" (plastic) sights.  The rear sight is a small aperture peep sight:

KsAEK2Z.png

Don't get me wrong, it's a perfectly functional peep sight with both windage and elevation adjustment.  It's just that my understanding is that peep sights are intended for high accuracy use at ranges over 200 yards, which on a ~300fps airsoft carbine (and in CQB at that) seems a little... theatrical.

Any reason I shouldn't just drill out most of the rear sight to maximise the aperture?

• Head Moderator
14 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Any reason I shouldn't just drill out most of the rear sight to maximise the aperture?

Then it would not be realistic ;).  People pay good money for a RIF :).

• Supporters

It's OK, I don't need to go full R, I've been growing out my beard for Operator credits.

Drill it out?  Come on, I've got that Friday Feeling, something needs to get modified.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

It's OK, I don't need to go full R, I've been growing out my beard for Operator credits.

Drill it out?  Come on, I've got that Friday Feeling, something needs to get modified.

just saw this and thought of you
NGFkq2P.thumb.jpg.bd72ffa2c0d28bbaec68d72f75840f56.jpg

• Supporters

Striving for a flat trajectory?

OK, success.

Before:

H82iX53.png

After drilling out to 6mm and then filing:

cLUrXVf.png

Much easier to find quickly, which is what I'm after.

I've ostensibly got a holographic dot on the way, but apparently they're having to grow the dot from a seed and harvest it with a golden sickle at midnight on the Feast of Saint Pietrelcina, so it's irony or nothing for now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporters
On 15/09/2017 at 10:41 PM, EDcase said:

You'll love the holo dot when the planets align for delivery ;)

It finally arrived and was tested with some target shooting and then in CQB this weekend and wow, what a difference.  It's transformed my accuracy from "thataway" to "right there".

• Supporters

I put the Death Dot only on those marked by Kali.

I think I'm probably squinting, I assume that's not Operator Spec. :(

No magnification, I wasn't aware you could get open holo sights with zoominess.

Archived