Advice for a big guy!

Greenie116
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, in 6"6' and little larger, I have tried plate carriers however they look tiny and doesn't really suit my size, I use a battle belt with shoulder straps which works well.

Does anyone have any experience or any knowledge of larger plate carriers or vests that fit bigger blokes? 

Thanks

I'm a wee bit shorter at 5'9" and have a warrior assault systems plate carrier and my missus reckons it looks like a boob tube on me so I get where your coming from.  when I started I tried british army osprey off ebay and that seemed much longer so may work nut it is heavy.  or possibly you could add a front section like this, velcros onto the front flap of a plate carrier and meant to cover the crown jewels

ddvmp_OD.jpg 

• Supporters

Being the same height as you, but possibly a little slimmer, I understand where your coming from. I just use a battle belt and yoke, it's all I need, I like to keep it light so I can move fast when necessary.

In your predicament, have you considered attaching the battle belt to a plate carrier, I know it's not the way it's supposed to be and all that, but it would look better as it would fill in the gap between the bottom of the plate carrier and your waist!

I'm 6,3 and a large guy. I currently use a 'Bulle' molle CIRAS vest. It fits really nice and still has room to go larger.

I've had it for a few years now and has never failed me. You can get them from www.flecktarn.co.uk.

On 12/09/2017 at 9:12 PM, gray134 said:

when I started I tried british army osprey off ebay and that seemed much longer so may work nut it is heavy.  

I have an Osprey Mk IV. Dirt cheap on eBay. Wouldn't recommend it for extended periods of time, however. It rubs against your neck, has a habit of sliding up your body and just in general not very comfortable to wear. I feel sorry for our troops that got issued them.. 

If a battle belt is working for you, stick with it. Unless you really want a plate carrier there's not much point in getting one. Alternatively there's chest rigs. Never used one so I can't give any opinion. 

I'm a big guy...and I was researching what kind of kit to get and a lot of the searches came up, that for larger guys..running a chest rig may be better than a plate carrier and the make 'Condor' came up a lot.

I purchased a Condor Recon chest rig + the hydro pack (Which clips into the chest rig) and the length of all the straps is impressive...allows you to really tailor the fit and the chest rig is very comfortable.

http://www.military1st.co.uk/search/combat-gear-chest-rigs/cfsearches/brand/cfvalues/condor/

Chest Rig.jpg

Archived