G&G GC16 Upgrades

Danny_997
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi I have a G&G GC16 Warthog and I am looking at doing some internal upgrades. So far I have put a prometheus inner barrel in with my standard G&G green bucking and hop unit. 

I then bought a pro win hop unit and went to install that with the prometheus inner barrel and new hop bucking but I was getting really bad feeding issues, can anyone help to why I am getting feeding issues with the pro win and if there is a better hop up unit out there for the GC16.

Thanks.

The pro win is a great hop up but it's got very tight tolerances, I had trouble just getting it into my receiver. Because of this the placement in the mag well is crucial and if it is a bit off it won't feed right. I needed to file down the wings to get it to sit forward enough for the mag to engage perfectly to get it to feed. 

take your upper receiver off your gun and put a mag in, then use some masking tape over the edges of your lower and mark out exactly where your mag feed port sits when a mag is inserted.

then it's just a matter of doing whatever you have to do in order to get the hop unit feed tube to sit dead central on those marks. Use JB weld to add material or file/dremmel to take it away.

The Prowin is a pain in the butt and has some quite variable tolerances! I have one and it's in the only gun out of four that it'll actually work in.

I've spent a lot of time trying to get the damn thing to work, and the only reason I've still got it was the chance discovery that it happened to work in a particular gun.

If you want a rotary style hop up that isn't so fussy, then get a Krytac.

3 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

The Prowin is a pain in the butt and has some quite variable tolerances! I have one and it's in the only gun out of four that it'll actually work in.

I've spent a lot of time trying to get the damn thing to work, and the only reason I've still got it was the chance discovery that it happened to work in a particular gun.

If you want a rotary style hop up that isn't so fussy, then get a Krytac.

I have heard they are great when they work, I am not really looking for any particular style of hop up, just looking at what is the best for my gun. Where would I be able to get a Krytac hop unit from? 

37 minutes ago, Ninjacabbage said:

The pro win is a great hop up but it's got very tight tolerances, I had trouble just getting it into my receiver. Because of this the placement in the mag well is crucial and if it is a bit off it won't feed right. I needed to file down the wings to get it to sit forward enough for the mag to engage perfectly to get it to feed. 

take your upper receiver off your gun and put a mag in, then use some masking tape over the edges of your lower and mark out exactly where your mag feed port sits when a mag is inserted.

then it's just a matter of doing whatever you have to do in order to get the hop unit feed tube to sit dead central on those marks. Use JB weld to add material or file/dremmel to take it away.

Ill have a word with one of the tech's down at my local field next time I see them, I am not the best with the tech side, thank you though!

I've just had a quick hunt online and I can't find them for sale. My son bought one a while back, but I don't know where from.

I've tried a couple of different rotary style hop ups, including the Prowin and the SHS metal one which had similar problems to the Prowin. The SHS plastic one works fine though and they're only a tenner from ak2m4.co.uk.

The 'traditional' style ones seem to have the least fitment and function issues. Current favourites are the ASG Ultimate and the stock G&P units.

I've just ordered one of the new AirsoftPro M block units, so I'll do a review once I've fitted it to something.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to add to this thread but what length Prometheus inner barrel did you get for your gc16? I know the standard is 330mm i cant find the prometheus upgrade of the same length anywhere

Archived