Building dmr

Shaun Haynes
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I was looking get a sniper changed my mind. ( for a long story  I can't buy one  2nd  hand ) So I'm looking at building a dmr. I want it   be ideally an m4 platform as I already have  a combat machine cm16  so my loadout  is already  build around this and then I can use the same mags.

Any help on how much it would cost I would have to pay someone techy fees as I don't trust myself ? Or am I better to get one out of the  box. 

There are very few options for an out of the box DMR, as they tend to be built rather than bought.

As for paying someone to build one for you, it depends on how deep your pockets are. Getting a tech to install a M120 spring and lock the gun to semi auto only isn't gonna to cost too much, but that's not a DMR. Getting an electric gun to shoot as far and as accurately as possible, while looking, feeling and performing the part is expensive enough if you're doing the work yourself. Just off the top of my head to do it right there's  £300 just in internal parts if you're starting with something with a decent gearbox and receiver. Then you can spend at least that again on the externals.

And even once it's fully optimised and you're skint, you don't have much of a range advantage over someone with a properly sorted AEG...

Orgh right.  Not a lot  of difference between a decent dmr  and decent sniper then if brought from new. Will propbarly just invest in 2nd hand    adjusted  m4 ( something that closer to the 350 fps mark)   or see if   a 2nd hand dmr comes up then rather then build. 

I don't want to play with the cm as it works for cqb. Guess I could maybe buy a 2nd cm   and get a techy to play with the spring and gearbox.   And  put new barrel in it. After something with bit more range for open fields 

If you want more range and accuracy then switch to heavier BBS. What are you using at the moment?

My CQB gun works fine in woodland sites. I've got a stubby stock for CQB and I just fit a longer, full stock and a short outer barrel extension for woodland (just for the look). Then 0.25g BBs inside and 0.28g outside.

Try 0.25g. They leave the barrel with the same energy as the 0.2g, but because they are heavier that means they'll be moving a bit slower. But they will hold on to that energy for a lot longer, so by the time they get to 20-30m they will actually be travelling faster than a 0.2g BB. They will get to 40m before the 0.2g and then keep on going when the 0.2 is dropping out of the air.

The hop on your gun should lift 0.25g BBs fine, but spend £15 or so on a Modify or Prometheus flat hop rubber and it'll lift 0.28g no problem which carry a bit further still and will be more accurate.

DMR will often cost more than a Sniper - you have high torque motors, reinforced gears and lots of other moving parts to contend with.

My sniper build was £440 - I went with the cheaper JG option instead of the VSR and saved about £100 since nearly all the internals were coming out anyway.

The DMR quote was £700-800

If you want to go down the DMR route, then make sure your local sites allow up to 500fps. No good getting there then being turned away because your DMR is against site policy. As for a base body, I would suggest you spend a lot of time trying different platforms and find one you're completely happy with first, since you're going to be paying a lot of money on the build. Do you want to go AR-10? G36? SCAR? ACR? M14? Or something else entirely? The AR-10 is certainly the most popular, I guy I knew had a really nice SCAR GBBR DMR, but he dropped a shedload of money on it.

And the extra range and accuracy over someone with a 350fps AEG who knows what they're doing with it is low, and only really advantageous at certain sites.

Yeah my site allow the legal limit for dmr.   And besides that far to much money then I want to spend.

Didn't want to do down the sniper route as I don't really want to build a new loadout....    even though can get some   nice ones on the 2nd hand market for a fair price 

So look like will be  trying to get a   350 fps  aeg or at least a body that   make a 350.  (I want a spare aeg anyway) and I'll try the  heavier bbs  aswell 

Archived