Increasing fire rate and accuracy without too much of an fps gain

Clar3nce
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

so i m pretty new to tech work on airsoft guns and am just wondering what mods can give me a little better accuracy as well as a bit higher fire rate when using full auto.

i have read about the different versions of the gearboxes but would also love some clarification as to which version gearbox an AK-47 AEG would use or if it is Dependant on the manufacturer.

would like to try and keep a small budget but the rate i am enjoying the sport i doubt that will be the case for long :) .

any help is appreciated,

Clar3nce 

• Supporters

Which gun do you have? Make/model? Will help the tech guys here able to help you a lot more.

Hopefully your using a 7.4V lipo, with deans connectors on 16AWG wire.(If not do so as this will increase your ROF). If you are, consider installing a MOSFET and using 11.1V lipos.

For accuracy, it will depend on what you currently have. What weight BBs do you use? What make? What sort of distance are you wanting the accuracy at?

currently using a CYMA CM.028A ak47 with some tac rails. not running lipos as of yet but planning to switch to them with the coming weeks. also using .20 gram bb's  and as for distance im not wanting anything crazy in terms of range just hopefully better accuracy to 25-35ft with more consistency of where the shots are landing as they currently seem to be a bit erratic even after adjusting the hop-up and seeing if it made a difference 

• Supporters

Ok, then firstly, move up to a minimum of .25g BBs, I'd recommend ASG Blasters (good price and good quality) they are more stable in the air and the wind won't effect them as much (will also increase your range) which should get you better groupings. 

Hopefully you are cleaning the barrel of your gun regularly, this will help also. 

Changing to lipos will make a considerable difference, have a search of the forums for "lipo batteries" and you'll see why. If you can convert the connectors to deans (mini T) connectors you'll gain up to 10BBps for your rate of fire.

I personally don't know what the internals are like in the Cyma, but I would imagine that to gain a lot more, your going to have to spend a lot more and replace parts.

A tightbore barrel may help improve your groupings depending on what is in there as standard.

0.25g BBs will carry further, but 0.28g will go a bit further still and considerably improve accuracy. The standard hop set up might have trouble putting enough back spin on the heavier BBs, but a flat hop set up will sort that out. The Modify Soft Flat Hop and nub will cost you about £14 and is easy to install.

Don't bother buying a barrel. Your standard one will be fine after a good internal polish .

Moving to 7.4v lipos will give you a modest improvement in ROF, and a useful increase in trigger response. Lowering internal resistance by installing 16awg wire and Deans connectors will help further, and a basic Mosfet (Firestorm, £10 including decent wire) will be the finishing touch.

Internally, check out videos on adjusting angle of engagement and shimming.

You can easily get you gun shooting better than a lot at your local field for around £30 and a bit of work.

After that you're looking at motor and gears, improved air seal components, but mainly knowing how to get components to work well together.

• Supporters

Sorry you missread, or I wrote it wrong, I meant 10BBps from the deans+lipo. I read this somewhere I'll see if I can find it, 

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Prisce said:

Sorry you missread, or I wrote it wrong, I meant 10BBps from the deans+lipo. I read this somewhere I'll see if I can find it, 

Yeah...no. Whoever wrote that is massively overstating it, or their original connectors were just soggy string. 10% for sure but not 10rps. 

As for the OP, Prometheus purple hop rubber and a 7.4v LiPo are all I'd do on that gun. It's a V3 gearbox by the way. There's nothing wrong with them as such but it's such a cheap gun that they don't really warrant spending loads on.(in my opinion at least). As stated above, clean the barrel and give it a good polish, it's a reasonable barrel anyway. Heavier ammo is a good place to start too!

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Lozart said:

snip

9 hours ago, Hangtight said:

snip

18 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

snip

Spent a little while trying to find the post I read about this, and I can't find it.

All I remember was it was a blog that was recommended to me by an airsofter at my local site on my first game day, being keen and naive I believed he knew what he was talking about, so read that blog up and down. I remember the writing being some fancy italic font. The figure of 10bbps sounded amazing hence why I think it stuck with me.

Well I learnt something new today, thanks guys! And yeah, don't believe everything you read on the Internet...:/

ROF is all about basic physics - input energy to output energy. The higher voltage battery you have, the higher ROF you'll get. The less energy that battery needs to provide (ie from a lower rated spring) the higher ROF you'll get. One thing I do recommend for CQB players is to put a lower rated spring in the gun - often the velocity difference between 340fps and 280fps at close quarters is negligible, especially if you factor in the increased velocity brought in by a tightbore too.

Accuracy is all about the finish quality of components - keeping air seals tight, upgrading pistons, using higher quality barrels - sometimes people use tightbores, sometimes people use widebores - it's still all about basic physics.

Of course, with higher voltage batteries, you need better motors and thus gears to deal with it, otherwise you will put a high voltage battery in and blow up your gearbox within seconds. Theoretically, you could put in a super high voltage battery that fires almost as fast as your hop will chamber. But you'd need some super fancy motor and titanium gears to go with it though - be prepared to spend 3x the price of a real steel american M4, which when you remember this is all just a game, makes it a little bit ridiculous!

On 28 August 2017 at 4:37 PM, Hangtight said:

Don't bother buying a barrel. Your standard one will be fine after a good internal polish .

I did a search but nothing came up, is there a particular way of doing this?

Archived