New Player in the UK but not new to Airsoft

BernieMac
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I moved over to London from Ireland and have been playing in Ireland since 2007/2008. I have most of my kit brought over with me except my AEG and pistol because I still need to get a valid defence  or someone who will accept my past years experience as a defence so I can get my name into UKARA (any advise on this while I mention it?).

I was/am a member of Apex Airsoft in Ireland, a team which I set up with my mates back when we started in 2007. Since then it is only myself and my brother who are the original members left, but the team is still going strong and do attend pretty much every milsim event held in Ireland and also skirmish regularly around the country. The team used to be made up of mostly marshals from Rathbeggan airsoft where we all worked and I helped set up in 2008. The team is now made up by a large number of Dublin City University Airsoft Society members and alumni, as well as a few other stragglers. 

I would be really interested in joining an active team in London that do visit other sites around but also do regularly train and attend large scale milsim events around the country. I am really excited about getting out to some of the larger scale events you guys hold over here as we don't have a lot of access to FIBUA sites in Ireland unfortunately. 

The picture is team Apex acting as a QRF at a 27 hour event in Bellurgan park. We were just about to be out flanked by an special forces squad who were inserted via helio as we tried to move in to secure our FOB. I am the second from left with the orange AK mag.

Anyway I am sure I will be seeing some of you on the game field at some stage but if you have any input on how I can get myself a defence without having to wait 2/3 months and if you know of any milsim teams looking for some experienced players let me know. :)

- BernieMac

1294361_10203136268154893_8521774280572995123_o.jpg

• Head Moderator

Welcome :) 

• Supporters

Welcome! I don't know any teams who play Milsims and play seriously, but if your ever north of north London, give us a shout, we will more than likely have our motley crew out causing havoc, only been together a few months so still just having a laugh!

• Supporters

Hi Bernie,

I float this as a question of my own rather than a suggestion: what would be the problem with spraying your RIFs with a coat of Plasti-Dip, bringing them in, then peeling the coating off at an appropriate time?  I can't see anything in the VCRA or Border Force manual about the durability of the day-glo colour.

• Root Admin

There is nothing about maintaining the coat like you say, and as VCRA only covers the point of sale and explicit manufacturing, I can't imagine there would be a huge issue. However, there are huge gaps in all parts of VCRA pertaining to airsoft so generally the 'don't be an idiot' rule is what we go by, because we don't want RIFs getting scrutinised again.

9 hours ago, Prisce said:

Welcome! I don't know any teams who play Milsims and play seriously, but if your ever north of north London, give us a shout, we will more than likely have our motley crew out causing havoc, only been together a few months so still just having a laugh!

Thanks Prisce, odds are I will be making trips out to different sites so will let you know if I am knocking about.

8 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Hi Bernie,

I float this as a question of my own rather than a suggestion: what would be the problem with spraying your RIFs with a coat of Plasti-Dip, bringing them in, then peeling the coating off at an appropriate time?  I can't see anything in the VCRA or Border Force manual about the durability of the day-glo colour.

7 hours ago, proffrink said:

There is nothing about maintaining the coat like you say, and as VCRA only covers the point of sale and explicit manufacturing, I can't imagine there would be a huge issue. However, there are huge gaps in all parts of VCRA pertaining to airsoft so generally the 'don't be an idiot' rule is what we go by, because we don't want RIFs getting scrutinised again.

Two interesting points. I wouldn't feel comfortable having a temporary coating on the AEG for fear that it could start to flake while being investigated by a customs official and I think its best to play by their rules as written down then try and skirt around it when you are face to face with them. Especially when they have all the power of the law sat behind them. 

I do know people have brought kit over easily and without issue when they have a invitation to a site, a game ticket and their flights etc for say a milsim event. This is perfectly fine in the customs officials eyes as the RIFs aren't being imported technically as they are going back to Ireland as proven by the return flight. In my case this won't work as I am a resident here, so my flight is a return to London which means I am technically importing it, even if I do not plan on staying in the UK for longer than 5 years, I obviously can't prove that.

What I would like to know is, considering  UKARA is a defence to prove you are an airsoft skirmisher which means you have been playing for longer than 2 months, I have over 9+ years experience as a player and marshal which I can prove in video and photos with a photo id to prove I am who I say I am, and have now booked myself into playing a couple of games at a site here in UK, surely that is enough to prove I am worthy of membership? Without having to wait out 2 months...as it means I will only miss out one on of the Stirling events coming up. Or have I missed the mark on that?

• Root Admin

There's no case precedent so basically you just need to be prepared to argue that you're a skirmisher and provide evidence that supports that. I'd say pictures and bookings are far more than enough, but I'm not the one you'd have to prove that to. So far no airsofter has been prosecuted under that part of VCRA either so yeh. Customs generally only accept UKARA though and I've heard of players from continental Europe shipping their guns over to UKARA registered friends in the UK to use when they play.

48 minutes ago, proffrink said:

There's no case precedent so basically you just need to be prepared to argue that you're a skirmisher and provide evidence that supports that.

Yeah that really is the ticket I think! Maybe I might pop into a shop and have a chat with the lads to see what they say. As I have said I don't want to get anyone into any trouble or bring a negative light onto the community...I just want to be able to get my kit over/get new kit so I don't have to pay for 2 months worth of rentals. :rolleyes:

Archived