Is my battery wrong or my charger etc wired wrong?

DonSmokey92
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My bulldog charger arrived and I'm not sure if my battery is wired wrong or if my tamiya to mini tamiya connector are wired wrong??     My battery is a 7cell 8.4v Nimh 1600mah ,,,,,,,,, my battery : red goes to circle .and my black cable goes to square ,,, ...... 
my charger : red goes to the square. Black to circle
,,, then my tamiya to mini tamiya adapter (from charger to batt) goes-- red square from charger- into red square in adapter but out the square on the mini end which happens to go into the black cable of the battery,,,,,,, my charger flashes red that battery is bad or below 6v but not that polarity is reversed?? So it goes charger-adapter-battery...

charger(out) :red/square black/circle 

adapter normal tamiya(in from charger):red/square black/circle

adapter tamiya mini (out from charger) red/square black/circle, 

battery (in from charger) red/Circle black/Square ,,,,,,, can anyone help? Sorry if my explanation is muddles or hard to comprehend I'm not very electrically inclined and it's my first airsoft gun let alone aeg lol please help

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

If you've got a cheap digital meter then you can check polarity, but red /positive, black /negative is universal.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to ditch the tamiya connectors and adaptors, and simply fit everything with Deans connectors. Few quid in connectors and heatshrink, bit of soldering and you've got lower resistance, more reliable connections that can handle higher current.

I don't have a soldering iron or any electronic knowledge, :/ and funding for all of the above I just spent on my aeg and charger etc,,, will my battery charge like this? Or is it dangerous? It worked when I bought it and used it,,, 

the charger doesnt say its reverse polarity (no led) it just says its below 6v or battery is bad (flashes red)   I attached image of leads connected (power is off until I'm sure it's not hazardous)

image.jpg

So should I change the way the adapter from normal to mini is sitting ? Because I hook up the croc clips to the corresponding wires (opposite to how the mini adapter is) and th led is solid red(charging normally) , I've uploaded a pic with croc clips where it states charging norm,,,, posted pic previously of the setup that says battery bad or under 6v. Is this the way it should be? Or should it be the way with the adapter (but then led flashes for bad battery or under 6v)  sorry to be such a dimwit but electrics one thing I'm wary of so I really wanna be sure I'm being safe , also this is the bat that came with my aeg from the shopimage.thumb.jpg.83e234c3b2da5e383dd9a6241a67a519.jpg

SOrry to be so impatient and if I seem inconsiderate  (I work nights) but I've been looking and it says everywhere that the tamiya plug on airsoft is back to front (like samurai said) but then that still leaves me confuddled as that means I do need to change the way the mini tamiya adapter is sitting on the charger end not the battery right?? If I change te batts connector it WILL be backeards won't it?? I honestly am sorry if it's slightly remedial what I'm asking, but I am aware that the types of cells/batteries are used in many applications but airsoft has back to front mini tamiya,,,, but why?  There must be an out the box charger/adapter so I know I won't mess up?, if the above pic is safe then I shall change the way the mini adapter is, if the above pic is not safe then I'm stuck again lol,, thank you for your replies so far at this untimely hour 

If you've swapped the polarity and the charger is indicating that it's actually charging them you should be good. Using the Croc clips isn't ideal, but it was a good way to check. Now get the adapter modified so the polarity of one of the connectors is flipped.

I've done it and the batteries charge fine and fire the gun at a decent rof, it was a bit of a struggle to get the connectors/cables out to swap them but I finally got it done and chrged and test fired, thank you all for your help :D sorry it was such a simple matter I just didn't want to blow the house up or set anything on fire XD 

Oh I do however have one final question if you don't mind,, I can't find anywhere an indication of what voltage battery my aeg can use safely without stressing it and wearing it down, it's a BO manufacture combat lt595 cqb version , it has a 8.4v 1600 mah nunchuck battery, I was wondering if there is Anywhere that it states the battery the manufacturer recommends? Will a 9.6v be too much for it? 

• Supporters

9.6v nimh or nicd or a 7.4 lipo is fine. A 7.4v lipo will give a ROF like a 9.6v nimh.

If you are buying a new battery, buy a lipo. Much better in any way possible. You will need a lipo charger for it but you can get an imax b3 from ebay for pennies.

• Supporters

If you buy a LiPo battery (and you should) then you will also need a new charger. Preferably a SkyRC iMax B6 (genuine, not a copy).

Thank you all again :) I am going to do some research/study/learning about batteries and the how they affect the motor and internals and performance also a lot about the precautions to take with batteries etc, but when I do upgrade to a lipo (will prob go 7.4 to be safe) I'll be sure to ask for help and post the result thank you guys again :D 

Archived