TM 416D Does it need upgrades?

Katana
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Okay so at the end of the month, I'm splashing the f*ck out on TM goodness with the 416 CAG style gun from fire support with mags and sights and all sorts of sh*t I'm going to regret in the near future financially XD. 

Now my question is does it need any upgrades or anything done to it?

At the moment I'm thinking an fps upgrade which fire support do offer which saves me doing it, however they want to replace the gears with Lonex ones as well which share the same ratio so the only thing I can see improving is the longevity but is changing the gears even necessary?

Should I get the AOE corrected when it fires at such a low ROF? 

Should I get it rewired because apparently the resistance is very high? 

Should I have the bushings replaced for steel bushings?

I would imagine nothing would be wrong with the piston and yet I see people changing the piston head over for a Lonex POM one. 

I can't find a BTC next gen spectre in stock anywhere.

Basically, there are a lot of different views out there on the internet and a lot of conflicting advice and I am just wondering what the best way to tackle these possible issues are as after using something that performed amazingly but kept going down during the game, I just want something that will work and not crap out on me in 6 months. Just need a clear cut answer as to which is the best route to take. Thanks Guys.

• Supporters

If you want your TM gun to run reliably for years and years and years... wire it to deans so you can run 7.4v LiPo instead of the proprietary SOPMOD batteries (which are awful) and leave EVERYTHING else alone.  Yes they're 'low' FPS (300 vs 330, are you really going to notice?!), but you'll still outrange 90% of everything else you see.  

Only exception to that is the BTC Spectre, when they come back in stock get one IMMEDIATELY, completely changes the performance of the gun and should be seen as an almost mandatory upgrade, but don't pay the silly £100+ prices people charge second hand, they're about £80 new shipped from the manufacturer when in stock. 

Kind of a longshot but do you know how often they come back in stock? I heard someone say they come in stock once a year or something like that. Also, what about the shimming and how does that come out of the box? Does increasing the fps to 330ish really have that much of a reliability hit? I have used a low fps gun before for a while and I saw a massive improvement when I increased my fps by about 40 in being able to hit moving targets much more easily instead of having this stupidly long lead over the guy and my range increased a bit too. I started being able to use heavier bb's as well. 

I'm definitely not disregarding your advice at all but just curious if I can get away with upping that fps or does it really impede it by such an amount that I should stay away?

WRT BTC, Frank has just got back from a month off and is trying to catch up with thousands of emails while getting the next batch of products ready. Try dropping him a line and see if you can get a heads up on when the next batch becomes available.

I've not got a Spectre, but the Chimera in my AK is great. The pre cocking is superior to the Gate Titan, and I prefer the microswitch trigger over the Gate optical sensors. Completely changes the feel of any gun it's fitted in.

• Supporters

I have the TM CQB-R, upgraded by FireSupport, and a TM Scar L, completely stock. Both are upgraded to Deans.

I would 100% recommend getting wired to deans. 

I do think that the upgrades offered from FireSupport are worth getting, the CQB-R has about 20ft more accurate range compared to the scar using same batteries/BBs, so it's worth doing in that respect.

I haven't got the spectre, but both the guys who have recommended it know what they are talking about so definitely listen to them!

• Head Moderator

Apart from buying two 7.4v LiPo batteries and having the my 416D wired with deans connectors, I have left the rest as stock.  It works fine, and the low fps means that I can play anywhere.

Archived