Flat hop advice

ProPain87
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I'm planning on doing a flat hop, never done one before but looks quite simple. 

All the videos and advice say to use a firefly nub but everywhere seems to be out of stock. Does anyone know either where I can get one or a good alternative. I'd rather buy one  than make one from an eraser or anything unless the results are massively better. I also don't want to r hop,  they seem like so much hassle

Cheers 

I have seen them but a lot of people have said they are not very good when searching other threads and forums 

42 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

Modify flat hop and nub works fine.

I'm also struggling to find them in stock anywhere 

I'm happy to use the prommy one if I have to, which would be better black or blue, flat or curved? Other option is maple leaf nub and bucking 

Go for the soft, which I think is the blue one. Some people say flat, some say curved, but I've not tried them personally so I couldn't comment.

As far as nubs go the Nazuma works, but I'm tight and I resent paying that much for a small chunk of rubber /urethane when a piece cut out of a pink pencil eraser and glued to the underside of a hop arm that took 3 minutes to sand flat works just as well.

I have tried putting a curve on the underside of nubs, but a can't say there was any noticeable difference, except in the time it took and the number of little bits of rubber I threw away because I'd just buggered it up... again.

If you want to be fancy about it, buy a small sheet of 70 durometer urethane off eBay and make them out of that. It's a lot more durable than the pencil eraser.

Come to think of it, I'm sure I've got a piece of urethane in a box somewhere (one of the ones that hasn't been unpacked since the last time I moved). If I find it, send me a self addressed envelope and you can have enough to do some experiments on the condition you do a thread about your results. ;)

Sounds a fair deal, thank you! I'm going to try a few different nubs to see how I get on anyway.  Pm me your address and we can sort it out 

It's the other way around with the Modify. The hard is a bit poor (but OK as a R hop packing) and the soft is the shnizz.

• 2 weeks later...

Modify flathop is a good bit of kit, even if you can just source a nub and then cut down a normal bucking (which I've done on my other gun).

Archived