Swapping two tone parts.

BradTheBlue

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

As far as I am aware this is a grey area. Without a UKARA you cannot purchase a RIF, but I think after purchasing it you can make adjustments as you see fit.

On the other hand, modifying it may be classed as manufacturing a RIF, without proper cause, which again is illegal.

Hence, big splodgy grey area.

• Supporters

But on the legal side manufacturing just means "to make", which is all you are doing.

If you want to risk it, and have a potential visit from the police, go ahead. I myself am quite happy inside the law.

If I was you, I'd go to 3 games in the 56 days(or 2 months) get yourself UKARA registered, and then voila, no more problems, unless it's firing hot, then be prepared for jail time!

Aye it'd definately count as manufacturing I guess. Not sure what the legality would be if the old slide was broken and unworking. Just get the defense I guess, easy enough.

On 03/08/2017 at 1:26 PM, BradTheBlue said:

If I was to buy two tone pistol and the slide was worn and I wanted to buy a replacement, would it be illegal if I brought a black slide replacement or would I need to get it with a two tone finish?

It would not be 'illegal' for you to buy the black part, only against that law if you were to fit it to the gun without a defence. If someone else with (or without depending upon how you read greater firearms law) a defence put it back together you would be in the clear - so long as there was no quid pro quo (exchange).

Else every time I take my TM G17 slide off I'd be manufacturing a RIF to put it back together and that would be silly.

• Supporters

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm not the worlds leading authority on anything, and was only trying to provide enough information that the OP didn't get in trouble with the law. 

Id rather be safe than sorry. I, personally, would still get a UKARA before doing any modifications or buying a gun, just so you have that defence.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporters
On 03/08/2017 at 4:30 PM, Prisce said:

On the other hand, modifying it may be classed as manufacturing a RIF, without proper cause, which again is illegal.

Hence, big splodgy grey area.

Seems black and white to me, chap.

VCRA 2006 S36

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—

(a) he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;

(b) he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;

• Root Admin

I believe we've already clarified that.

However, the nuance you're missing is what VCRA deems a 'valid defence' - though UKARA is accepted, there is no precedent for anything else. Some sellers - though I know we're talking about 'manufacturing' here - would accept pictures of you playing, a skirmishing site membership (without UKARA registration) and the like. That's where the grey is.

• Supporters

The nuance you're missing is that the wibble about "manufacturing" is irrelevant, since there's a crystal clear offence of "modifying".  Fite me IRL, and so on.

• Root Admin

The exclusion for that entire section is still related to a 'valid defence'. I'm not sure what you're talking about. The OP is asking whether any change from 51% bright colours is allowed - it's not without a valid defence. Be it through manufacturing, modifying or anything else. If you do have a valid defence then modify away as you're effectively exempted from all prosecution made through that part of VCRA.

What's with the 'Fite me IRL' nonsense?

• Supporters

A bit of levity, after coming in swinging.  Nothing personal, I appreciate you taking the time to answer this. I'm just salty after my first contact with the inane legislation around RIFs, which seems designed to inconvenience only the most scrupulously law abiding.

Quite apart from the "I bought it like that from some geezer" response to the essentially impossible-to-prove accusation of modifying, it looks like I could buy a two-tone, hand it to a kind fellow with a defence, they spray it or strip the day-glo off, hand it straight back, and no laws are broken or kittens harmed.  That's a pointless exercise even by Whitehall standards.

• 2 years later...

I'm well aware that this thread is probably dead but I have a question. If someone was to swap out a two tone slide and replace it with an aftermarket one for their backyard plinking pistol would that be wrong? (I'm asking on the behalf of a family member)

1 hour ago, KombatWombat said:

I'm well aware that this thread is probably dead but I have a question. If someone was to swap out a two tone slide and replace it with an aftermarket one for their backyard plinking pistol would that be wrong? (I'm asking on the behalf of a family member)

It’s an offence under the VCRA to modify an IF into a RIF without one of the defences 

Get caught and you're liable to a fine of £thousands

Para 36b

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/part/2/crossheading/imitation-firearms

• Supporters
19 hours ago, KombatWombat said:

The answer is exactly the same as it was 3 years ago, and isn't going to change no matter how many times its asked.

Why is your... family member... plinking with an airsoft gun rather than an air pistol?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.