Two Toning

Tamaskan
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Okay so me and my mate have just started looking into air-soft and were wondering if it was legal to two tone your own guns, as in you buy one that's completely black and then paint at least 50% of it bright blue for example, we're only asking because we know the reverse is illegal for us at the moment, and if it is illegal is there anywhere we can get it done?  many thanks - Tamaskan

The VCRA (Violent Crimes Reduction Act) makes it illegal to own a RIF (Realistic Imitation Firearm) without a form of valid defence (i.e. a reason to own one), there are a number of different forms of defence from Theatre and Film/TV use, Museums, etc. Airsoft has also been allowed as a valid form of defence.

The easiest and simplest way that UK Airsoft retailers decide whether or not your Airsoft defence is valid is via a thing called a UKARA number (UKARA is the United Kindom Airsoft Retailers Association), basically. If you go to a UKARA registered airsoft site 3 times over a period of not less than 56 days (I believe it is), and as long as you remember to register with that site they will confirm that you are actually partaking in the sport and therefore you be giving an identification number which most retailers will ask you for in order to sell you RIFs.

If you have another form of defence (all the forms can be found by searching the piece of legislation on UK Govt sites) many retailers will accept that too.

However, as long as you are over the age of 18 you can purchase an IF (Imitation Firearm) i.e. a two-tone gun. Some sites will charge you for spraying a RIF two-tone but many do this as a free service.

So, the majorities advice here and on other forums is to hire guns when you go to play for your first three games then once you are eligible purchase yourself a RIF. However if you simply cannot wait to have your own then you will have to buy two-tone. Now, as for turning that two-tone gun into a RIf once you have a UKARA number I am not sure as to the legalities of that. I'm sure someone else can help you with that, but I generally think that it is not a good idea.

Hope that helps.

32 minutes ago, Tamaskan said:

Okay thanks Samurai but what do you mean "Without Defence"?

Hello, welcome to the forum.. 

By having a defense he means, having a UKARA skirmisher number,  To become a UKARA registered airsoft player you are required to take part in three games at the same UKARA registered game site over a minimum of two months, e.g. the third game being 56 days or more after the first. You must be over 18 years of age and be able to provide some form of identification such as Passport, Drivers License or Bank Statement.

there are also after forms of airsoft defense, if your a member on a military reenactment or Reenactment Society, Museum Curator, member of a TV / Film Production Team.

so if you don't have the airsoft defense and want to buy a airsoft gun your need to go down the IF (imitation firearm) route and buy a two tone which should not be an issue for you as your thinking about painting one, so you can buy it done like that..

there are other thing to consider to be honest but it's too much to go into lol..

so if your looking into getting into the sport and going to airsoft skirmishes check out some local games near you, buy if your looking to get a gun just for a bit of back garden fun, buying a two tone gun from an airsoft shop etc is the way to go for now. :)

ATB, Marc

9 hours ago, CARBr6 said:

The VCRA (Violent Crimes Reduction Act) makes it illegal to own a RIF (Realistic Imitation Firearm)

The VCRA doesn't make it illegal to own or possess.  It makes it an offence to sell a RIF to you if you don't have a Defence under the act.

If you possess a black airsoft gun then you can continue to possess it without needing the Defence.  If someone sells you a black airsoft gun then they are committing the offence

2 hours ago, Tommikka said:

The VCRA doesn't make it illegal to own or possess.  It makes it an offence to sell a RIF to you if you don't have a Defence under the act.

If you possess a black airsoft gun then you can continue to possess it without needing the Defence.  If someone sells you a black airsoft gun then they are committing the offence

This, spot on

@Tamaskan Many retailers offer two-tone services for RIFs, meaning you can choose whatever RIF you fancy and they will paint so it is legal to sell as long as you are over 18. 

15 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Cool.

Thanks for the correction.

Archived