Newbie to airsoft guns

Brillo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi , 

joined yesterday and just looking for a rifle to plink about with in the back garden. I've always had air rifles but got rid a few years ago ( Theoben Rapid and MFR ) and a little go at Clays with my Franchie shotgun but never seemed to get much time out with them to warrant the expense. So, having been introduced to BB by my son with his HFC M190 pistol (with leaking magazine) and was really surprised at the range and accuracy they have. I'm quite exicted about getting my own =)

Been looking at all the reviews etc  to see whats out there and erring towards the more traditional style sniper rifles. Any personal recommendations would be great.

Thanks and hello =)

• Root Admin

Welcome. Please use the search and read the stickies for each section - there's loads of information there that'll help you. Reading them all will probably only take about 30 minutes.

As for sniping: I'd avoid it if you're new - it's one of the common pitfalls of new players as it's deceptively expensive to build a sniper rifle that outperforms a decent budget AEG and sniping itself usually requires very good knowledge of the site you're playing at and also a level of patience that doesn't let new players have much leeway to actually learn the game (what with being sat on the periphery most of the time). My advice would be that that you'll find in the stickies: Buy a good, budget AEG for about £150 (and a further £50 for BBs, batteries etc.) then go from there - it'll give you something to fall back on when you actually go and buy a sniper rifle later down the line.

Also, most of this is moot as you'll want UKARA registration first typically (again, more in the stickies) so you should rent a gun until then really.

Thanks for the reply proffrink. I've read some of the stickies, and the one about choosing guns but I'll read the rest as you suggest. I'm not looking to play the games (though never say never) but just for a bit of target practice in my garden and of a range up to approx 40-45m ish. I don't mind paying for something if it's good quality and that will be accurate from out of the box and that's why personal recommendations are important, saves splashing out on a dud . 

• Root Admin

Sniper rifles are great for backyard plinking, as are GBB pistols. You will need to buy one that's 2-tone though - many retailers will do this for you and some do it better than others, but I would advise against buying a gun that's pre 2-toned (i.e. brightly coloured plastic and not just sprayed) as typically that's an indication of them being complete crap.

Hello Brillo and welcome,

If you're just wanting to do some target practice in the garden then it is down to yourself really on what option you'd like to take, whether or not to just purchase as standard a somewhat accurate RIF or if you'd do that, as well as learn on how to tinker with an airsoft rifle to improve its performance if you feel somewhat comfortable with the proceddings.

As mentioned above aswell would have to be two-tone unless your willing to play airsoft to gain your UKARA, more info on that is in the stickies but I'd recommend giving it a shot ;)

Best Regards,

Cal

Thanks guys. I know I can buy a RIF from the shop and have it sprayed two tone, but could I buy s/h from the forum and have that sprayed at the shop ? I'm not sure about the rules/law about whether the seller would be allowed to do that and whether that would be enough 'defence' to enable the seller to sell to me ? 

Regards playing airsoft to gain my UKARA, that may be an option I might take later on if I find I'm interested enough. Hadn't thought too much about it tbh.

Cheers

Dave

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

Archived