Hello Im Scarecrow, aka Jim

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, Im Scarecrow aka Jim and ive done my first cqb a few weeks ago in Derby. I had a good time and everyone at Crafty airsoft in Derby made me feel welcome. Im in my 40ies so my gf is calling airsoft, adultsoft play.

Firstly, ouch! BB's hurt and as i didn't know what  i was doing i had plenty on marks. Anyway im going to give it a go as a hobbie. And ive started getting my gear ready. Im going with British Army woodland fatigues, webbing etc so I'll  post this up later. 

So im looking at a g&g cm16 srs as my first rif as my plan was to have 1 rifle and change the barrel and receiver for outdoors. 

Then get some grenades, then a side arm gas pistol.

I hope this isnt going to be an expensive hobby 

So if you're out about at derbyshire/nottinghamshire airsoft sites and you see a 6ft bloke with a big beard in woodland gear and he looks out of his depth say hi, ill say hi back.

6 minutes ago, Scarecrow916 said:

I hope this isnt going to be an expensive hobby 

Howdy jim! Sounds like your going about it the right way, g&g cm16 and surplus fatigues are a great place to start doing airsoft without breaking the bank...if you stick to just buying what's practical you can avoid falling into the airsoft money pit...

...however the pit is great! And I don't think it will be long before your down here wallowing with the rest of us :lol:

i am a transient player of the East Midlands sites so will hopefully catch ya on a field some time. 

Ninjacabbage, thx. 

I'm  sure youll shoot me at some point.

Any recommendations on goggles budget £50-£100. I have some mesh googles dut i find them cutting out too much light. Im getting a fast helmet to protect the bonce and a mesh face mask which hopefully cover my ears as i was shot on the ear.

Welcome "Shane Schofield" :D

Airsoft is as expensive as you make it. A cheap rif, some eyepro and a face mask = job done. The rest is up to you.

Personally I prefer to run without a helmet and use glasses not goggles. Helmets just seem too bulky and in combination with a face mask can be a real frustration that causes fogging.

If you look on Amazon for a One Tigris half mesh mask They're a bit better than full mesh for cheek weld and sighting and the buckles provide good ear protection. The same style is available on ebay from China for a fiver.

Ahh brilliant,  yep Shane Schofield is a personal literary hero. Nice to meet a fellow Matt Reilly fan.

Was going for the full protection to reduce the injuries as much as possible. Im self employed so cant risk twating myself out on a branch.

Does any retailer do starter deals for gun, battery, charger etc? Ive looked at many sites and searched but theres not much info.  

On 7/31/2017 at 9:53 PM, Scarecrow916 said:

Ahh brilliant,  yep Shane Schofield is a personal literary hero. Nice to meet a fellow Matt Reilly fan.

Was going for the full protection to reduce the injuries as much as possible. Im self employed so cant risk twating myself out on a branch.

Does any retailer do starter deals for gun, battery, charger etc? Ive looked at many sites and searched but theres not much info.  

Hello Jim

Welcome to the forums,

I think CM16 is a great starter gun couple of my mates are running them, I'm going a bit different route for my first AEG, getting Krytac CBR MKII in couple of weeks, I think Airsoft is kinda like this: "Buy what you like or buy twice." so I have decided to buy what I like the most both functionality and aesthetics wise. 

Regarding eye-pro, I don't know any good goggles unfortunately, but I do know some awesome glasses which are indeed excellent

https://www.justpaintball.co.uk/valken-zulu-airsoft-goggles.html

I know the website says paintball but the glasses are for Airsoft, I have exactly the same glasses

One Tigris half face mask is also highly recommended it's brilliant, gives you better aim down the sights ability as your cheek is not blocked by metal mesh. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OneTigris-Tactical-Protective-Paintball-Adjustable/dp/B01KDWEB3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501768474&sr=8-1&keywords=onetigris+mask

Great thing about them is that they have 2 layers of lenses and vacuum in between the layers, this helps with fogging a lot, in fact, the only time I can get them to steam up, is if I have sweat dripping from my brows and it gets inside the glasses, that is the only time I have encountered fogging. 

If you get yourself a CM16 don't waste time looking for bundled deals with charger and battery, just go with standard smart charger and a 7.4v lipo battery that will cost you £25 - £30 bundle would probably be the same £30+ on top of the rifle price anyway.

as far as I am aware none of the G&G rifles come with charger and battery in the box. 

Hope you will enjoy the sport, I'm based in Milton Keynes a bit far from Notts but I have couple of friends who live and play Airsoft there. Maybe one day we will have a game together. 

Kris

On 31/07/2017 at 9:53 PM, Scarecrow916 said:

Does any retailer do starter deals for gun, battery, charger etc?

Yes they do. Zero One Airsoft have a little bunch of "starter packs" http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/index.php?cPath=268_318_403_720

Welcome.

On 31/07/2017 at 9:53 PM, Scarecrow916 said:

There are a few packages out there with rif, battery and charger. I picked up an ICS MP5 SD6 from gnu-fire.pl that came with battery and charger, but only nimh. Chargers and betteries can be had pretty cheap any how, Just make sure you match what the gun connection is. Mainly mini-tamiya connector, but I've come across deans too and only had tamiya batteries :(

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).  Yes, it can be an expensive hobby if you want to buy quality products or just start collecting more guns and kit.  This pinned (sticky) topic may help:

One gun is fine, and will work indoors and outside without the need to change barrels (which is totally impractical and pointless). See this topic: https://airsoft-forums.uk/index.php?/topic/36658-barrel-extention-and-suppresor-setup-help/#comment-278684

Archived