proposed ban on posting knives. narrow end of the wedge?

mimozine
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

seems stupid, if they fear that these posted knives can be used as a weapon what difference is a knife thats been posted to buying a kitchen knife in your local asda

43 minutes ago, Jay91 said:

seems stupid, if they fear that these posted knives can be used as a weapon what difference is a knife thats been posted to buying a kitchen knife in your local asda

none, but if you are under 18 you won't be allowed to buy a knife in ASDA, Tesco or any other kitchen ware shop.

they want the pickup rule for age checking.

it's like having a UKARA/Defence for buying a RIF,  still doesn't prevent all fake gun crime or dickheads being dickheads with toy guns, but it will stop/deter a few.   

• Supporters

Amazon already require a signature on delivery for knives bought from them.

Thing is, knife crime is a growing problem and restrictions on sale are a standard response to that kind of problem. As much as people will always get hold of things they shouldn't (God knows I've got hold of enough Class A's in my time) not doing anything about it is not the answer.

Personally think its a good idea, yeah a lot of knives involved in knife crime are kitchen knives and everyone has one at home, BUT... there are a lot of combat knives and machetes in use by people looking to intimidate. These are the kind of knives that are easily available online, and if it stops people buying these for these reasons its working in my eyes it wont stop or deter knife crime. But it may help to take some knives of the streets which is only a good thing!,

What a load of sh*t, sure I agree with imposing restrictions on stuff like hunting/camping knives etc but plain old kitchen knives? What's next, I know why not an individual serial number and built in fingerprint recognition on every set sold so they can be tracked. /s

Sure ensure signature/ID checking upon delivery so that we don't get delivery to under 18s but doesn't matter what you do because I garuantee you I could get hold of a knife no matter how strict you make the process.

How about instead of getting more retarded with the rules be more strict on the punishments, give the criminals something to actually be worried about getting caught instead of just making it harder for the average joe who just wants a decent knife set for cooking rather than the crap they sell down ASDA.

• Supporters

The same thing happened back in the good old days when Rambo came out and everyone suddenly needed a survival knife. Things calmed down and now they're not so much of an issue. The ease of getting hold of a cheap kitchen knife for nefarious purposes IS part of the problem in areas where knife crime is rampant. The "decent knife set for cooking" isn't the issue because most scrotes that want to be Johnny Big Potatoes can't afford a Global or an IO Shen (not me, love me some Globals, me).

55 minutes ago, AndyGif290368 said:

but it will stop/deter a few.   

agree with what your saying about people purchasing a knife under 18, my belief though is if i'm of a mindset that im going to stab someone and im under 18, me not being able to get a knife off the internet is certainly not going to slow me down. 

not that i dont get it, i do they have to start somewhere right. i just dont feel that this will make any difference to the people it would count with, itll make it harder for people who enjoy collecting knives i can see that being about the limit of who this will impact

It's a rerun of the handgun ban from decades past. The law abiding will abide by the law and suffer the consequences of not being able to easily do what they did before, the law breakers will still break the law.  The government must be seen to be doing something to addresss a percieved problem, even if it appears to many to serve absolutely no real purpose.

Will someone not think off the children.....

Seems like a pretty standard government short cut. Let's avoid the hard work and expense of tackling the real reasons behind the increase in knife crime for the long term and instead pass a law that would create a slight decrease in the statistics so by the next election they can say they have done something to combat the issue.

To go back to what the OP stated, I make wood-working hand tools and occasionally knives as bespoke items that I would normally send through the post . Would they take it as far as banning chisels and alike being bought online and posted too? They are just as dangerous if anybody wanted to do harm with them...

Just a a thought as well, when I wanted to place a bet for the grand national on one of these apps I had to provide my passport number or driving license number as proof of age that was immediately checked. Could they not apply the same procedure to purchasing age restricted products online?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... how about hammers? they can smash skulls. or saw? or even worse a CHAINSAW? or NAILER - that should be on permit only!

Actually there are quite a few household items which can be used as a weapon.... for a God sake fork has sharp spikes!!! let's ban it!! 

Now how about recent spike in acid attacks? we should ban bleach any type - again there are many methods of making dangerous substances from household items.

I agree with the person who said that the punishment system should be more stick. of course this would require more funds for police forces and law that actually works i.e. Did you know that there is a Police guidance / rule that prohibits police officers to chaise moped thug if he doesn't wear the helmet? For a God sake - chase him catch him or watch the punk smashing his brain out and call it natural selection. [IMPO].

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Ajax said:

I agree with the person who said that the punishment system should be more stick. of course this would require more funds for police forces and law that actually works i.e. Did you know that there is a Police guidance / rule that prohibits police officers to chaise moped thug if he doesn't wear the helmet? For a God sake - chase him catch him or watch the punk smashing his brain out and call it natural selection. [IMPO].

As an FYI, you'd have to get within touching distance of a bloke to use a Nailer as a weapon, it has a built in mechanism which will not release a nail until it has X amount of pressure pushing against it, you'd have to have someone up against a wall and almost breaking the skin before you can fire the nail.

Also, they have the same guidance for car chases, if being pursued in a town or country lanes at night, and you turn your headlights off, if there is not adequate other lighting they are not allowed to give chase.

13 hours ago, Ajax said:

Ok... how about hammers? they can smash skulls. or saw? or even worse a CHAINSAW? or NAILER - that should be on permit only!

Actually there are quite a few household items which can be used as a weapon.... for a God sake fork has sharp spikes!!! let's ban it!! 

Now how about recent spike in acid attacks? we should ban bleach any type - again there are many methods of making dangerous substances from household items.

We do of course have issues with knife crime, and a process which mostly prevents age groups from going into a shop and buying a knife, but a loophole that allows them to buy one online.

A hammer, chainsaw, fork, spanner, pen or a pointy thing can all be used to do damage.  But we don't have large rates of tool or stationery crime.  Knives sit in a category that their proper use also fits into aiding their improper use with stabbing and cutting capabilities. 

A baseball bat is quite often a weapon of choice - even recently being shown off by an idiot estate agent on one of the fly on the wall documentaries.  (Waving his baseball bat around on camera before going to a benefits reposession - and self

confessing to carrying an offensive weapon with intent, unless he was just acting like a dick playing up to the camera)

Carry anything with the intent as a weapon can make it an offence.

As @Prisce has noted, moped muggers are the flavour of the day for the daily mail

crowd, complete with outrage that they can get away from a chase by increasing the risk.

This is pretty standard - the police enforce the law, and do so as safely as practical.

If we just run along with the outrage bus and let the police loose with no concerns whatsoever, then what about the accidents that occur further risking the public just for being a pedestrian or roaduser when a chase takes place.

Beginning a chase and then stopping does not mean the criminal gets away with it.  They get away now, but have been seen. The police can do other things such as throw up a helicopter to watch and track them, note the information and video and / or write down a description.  Then use that information to compile

intelligence - they've even caught and convicted people afterwards from good police work

6 hours ago, Prisce said:

As an FYI, you'd have to get within touching distance of a bloke to use a Nailer as a weapon, it has a built in mechanism which will not release a nail until it has X amount of pressure pushing against it, you'd have to have someone up against a wall and almost breaking the skin before you can fire the nail. 

Can confirm this is easily bypassed they certainly couldn't be used as a long range weapon though

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Prisce said:

Bit of tape will fix that.

• Supporters

We all know it's possible, but do we really think the morons that are going to be buying these items to use as weapons have the brain capacity to even know what tape is... Let alone modify a nailer.

The time the government have introduced any restrictions all the knives would of been sold to the gang bangers and alike to have saved quite an arsenal. This is a nanny state were crime pays even if the people are caught most prisons are better than home life. It's a;ways the minority that spoils it for the rest of us. I work pay my bills and think i'm sane enough to buy what i like.

The government needs tougher actions, give the control back to the police or chop the hand of the offenders, you can't hold a knife if you aint got hands! 

It's to easy to make easy cash the wrong way and live off of our systems. Stop benefits and send them to work in companies to get the benefits , no working no benefits ( shortage of workers across construction) .

Just wait until some goodie 2 shoes reads this and states human rights ( Get it into peoples heads these people DON'T HAVE HUMAN RIGHTS  if they can't behave like one) . LOL

Who started this Rant over for now. 

Just a thought but why not try to enforce the law as it stands before bring in pointless extra legislation.  It is already against the law to stab someone ( yeah I know, odd that isn’t it ).  If you commit a crime with a weapon weather it is a pen knife, machette or Vulcan Minigun the punishment should be the maximum sentence with no time off for good behaviour.  As it is criminals and delinquents no the courts will do nothing if there caught so they carry em.

11 hours ago, BigAl said:

Just a thought but why not try to enforce the law as it stands before bring in pointless extra legislation.  It is already against the law to stab someone ( yeah I know, odd that isn’t it ).  If you commit a crime with a weapon weather it is a pen knife, machette or Vulcan Minigun the punishment should be the maximum sentence with no time off for good behaviour.  As it is criminals and delinquents no the courts will do nothing if there caught so they carry em.

The law gets enforced 

This proposed law will make it harder for non adults to buy knives

These delinquents and non adults could be immature and not able to sensibly think of the consequences.

Adults are responsible for themselves and if they don't care about the consequences then when they act and get caught can take the punishment 

Archived