Choosing my first sidearm: Dan Wesson Revolvers

Socky
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone,

I have encountered a problem when choosing my first sidearm, I really like the co2 Dan Wesson Revolvers but really have no idea where to start;

I have been looking around, mainly on patrol base and I have found that some come with hop-up, and some don't, so my first question is: how essential is hope up for outdoor skirmishing? Will i regret buying one without hop?

Then there's the issue of buying a site legal one and normal shells, or buying a regular high power one but using the power down shells (although site legal ones shoot ~300fps and power down shells on a regular one take it to ~200fps, which isnt ideal as I'd like to shoot as close to 350 as possible).

Money is probably the most important for me, as I'd rather not spend another £20 just for the colour, but my preferences are as follows:

-Money

-Hop up (if this is going to be crucial)

-Length (6" but I would settle for 8")

-Colour (preferable black if i can find one, if not chrome or grey, but i hate the silver one)

If anyone has any advice about these guns, previous experience with hop/not, or where i could find one closest to my specifications I would greatly appreciate it.

(This isn't a post asking someone to search online for me, I have spent countless hours looking just need advice now)

Thanks for your time.

Well, take any of your existing guns and turn the hop off completely and go shooting and that's way you can make your own assessment of how useless zero hop is. Also, some sites don't allow [unregulated] CO2, so before you buy it ring round all your locals to check.

I can say that cyma non adjustable hops work well so adjustment is not required, but iirc hop increases range roughly 4x and up.

• Supporters

As @Sacarathe said, you NEED hop up. No argument.

As far as length goes, the longer the barrel the more unwieldy it will be to draw so yes, get the shorter one if you can (although there is very little more impressive than someone waving an 8" 715 about).

Definitely worth using the power down shells though as a lot of sites can be quite tetchy about CO2. The problem is that if you fit a new bulb after you have it chrono'd you could end up firing hot. Also worth looking at the moon clips and drums that take them (I don't think that any of the Dan Wesson ones come with moon clip drums as standard yet).

@Sacarathe @Lozart

Thank you very much, I will definitely find a hop up version and also contact my skirmish site about CO2.

I am still undecided about length as I dont mind either 6 or 8", depending on whatever I can get with hop up, 

The problem is, I like this style: http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-pistols/asg-dan-wesson-6-inch-high-power-airsoft-revolver-chrome.htm#.WXh5ZIgrLIU

But all i can find with a hop up is this style: http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-pistols/asg-dan-wesson-715-6-inch-hi-power-airsoft-revolver-gun-metal-grey.htm#.WXh3eYgrLIU

Is there any way of getting my style but with hop-up? either a custom job or online

If you have your heart set on a revolver, then by all means go for it. Personally, I would never use something with such a small ammo capacity. Bear in mind, in terms of sidearms, you'll have 6 shots before you need to reload each shell (or use a speedloader, which can still take a while), whereas most other people will have upwards of 20 shots, and a quick mag change.

I'm going out tonight with a P226 with 120+1rds of ammo across 5 mags, and yes, there have been times when I've got pinned down and had to use it all. If I'd have had a revolver, I wouldn't have lasted long at all.

As for hop up, I couldn't imagine having much fun running a system without one, since everyone else will have so much advantage over me.

3 minutes ago, Socky said:

@Sacarathe @Lozart

Thank you very much, I will definitely find a hop up version and also contact my skirmish site about CO2.

I am still undecided about length as I dont mind either 6 or 8", depending on whatever I can get with hop up, 

The problem is, I like this style: http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-pistols/asg-dan-wesson-6-inch-high-power-airsoft-revolver-chrome.htm#.WXh5ZIgrLIU

But all i can find with a hop up is this style: http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-pistols/asg-dan-wesson-715-6-inch-hi-power-airsoft-revolver-gun-metal-grey.htm#.WXh3eYgrLIU

Is there any way of getting my style but with hop-up? either a custom job or online

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/asg-dan-wesson-715-6-inch-hi-power-airsoft-revolver-gun-metal-grey.htm#.WXh6mdPyuWY

• Supporters

@Sacarathe @Lozart

http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/Dan-Wesson-CO2-Revolver-Low-Power-Version-6-Inch-Silver_A10DGJ.aspx#.WXh6iYjyuMo

The new Low Power version has adjustable hop.

@Lozart

Thats absolutely perfect, I guess i'll just wait for it to come back into stock, thanks a lot!

@AshOnSnow That's all part of the fun, I know it wont be all that practical only having access to 6 rounds before reloading, but I've been skirmishing for a while without a sidearm at all without any trouble, so its just a bit of fun. Thanks for the advice

1 minute ago, Socky said:

@Lozart

Thats absolutely perfect, I guess i'll just wait for it to come back into stock, thanks a lot!

@AshOnSnow That's all part of the fun, I know it wont be all that practical only having access to 6 rounds before reloading, but I've been skirmishing for a while without a sidearm at all without any trouble, so its just a bit of fun. Thanks for the advice

Remind me to come to your skirmishes, swap your AEG battery for a nearly dead one when you're not looking, then stalk you for the rest of the day

1 minute ago, AshOnSnow said:

Remind me to come to your skirmishes, swap your AEG battery for a nearly dead one when you're not looking, then stalk you for the rest of the day

It will be like watching a wild west film, 6 rounds 6 kills

In all fairness though, i couldn't think of anything more satisfying that loading revolver rounds - especially out on the field

• Head Moderator

couldn't think of anything more satisfying that loading revolver rounds - especially out on the field

I can understand that, more realism in reloads. However, nothing more saddening than looking in the field for those lost shells.

Just now, Jedi_Master said:

I can understand that, more realism in reloads. However, nothing more saddening than looking in the field for those lost shells.

That's very true, however I have a small zip pouch which would be ideal for storing them in, plus I wouldnt expect to survive long enough to do many reloads haha

• Head Moderator

I was in an airsoft shop a few months ago looking at Winchester rifles and Colt revolvers thinking about how a skirmish day playing Cowboys and injuns could be fun. Everyone with limited shots and needing to reload. Shoot out at the saloon, Yosemite Sam taking on pesky varmits, ambush the Wells Fargo shipment, etc.

Word of advice, NEVER "remember where you left" your shells. I did that with a couple of sig mags I reloaded on the run, came back and some tit had done walkies with them. Put them straight in a secure pouch or you probably won't see them again.

1 hour ago, Jedi_Master said:

I was in an airsoft shop a few months ago looking at Winchester rifles and Colt revolvers thinking about how a skirmish day playing Cowboys and injuns could be fun. Everyone with limited shots and needing to reload. Shoot out at the saloon, Yosemite Sam taking on pesky varmits, ambush the Wells Fargo shipment, etc.

New idea for a skirmish site?? That would be so cool, probably make a lot too

5 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

Word of advice, NEVER "remember where you left" your shells. I did that with a couple of sig mags I reloaded on the run, came back and some tit had done walkies with them. Put them straight in a secure pouch or you probably won't see them again.

Cheers for the advice, will definitely make sure i do :)

2 minutes ago, Socky said:

New idea for a skirmish site?? That would be so cool, probably make a lot too

Would probably be easier to retrofit an existing site with the relevant props for a special event day - like when RIFT turned Coms Site 3 into a Zombie Nightmare night. They brought in a battered cop car, humvee, tank traps, all sorts of props and actors and stuff and it was an epic night.

I had a DW revolver when I played and only ever used it as a backup in CQB. For anything over about 10 yards a DW revolver is next to useless for accuracy and is also way heavier that a semi auto pistol (e.g. G17. P226, etc.) as it's mostly metal.  They look good and feel nice in the hand, but reloading is a pain and you'll get tired of carrying it after a while.

43 minutes ago, RR01 said:

I had a DW revolver when I played and only ever used it as a backup in CQB. For anything over about 10 yards a DW revolver is next to useless for accuracy and is also way heavier that a semi auto pistol (e.g. G17. P226, etc.) as it's mostly metal.  They look good and feel nice in the hand, but reloading is a pain and you'll get tired of carrying it after a while.

I've watched a few videos and some reviews, and everyone says how strong it is on accuracy and its seems very good overall, maybe just a bad one?

2 minutes ago, Socky said:

I've watched a few videos and some reviews, and everyone says how strong it is on accuracy and its seems very good overall, maybe just a bad one?

Make sure the videos you're watching aren't sponsored by the manufacturer. They're not really reviews, they're just marketing.

Just now, AshOnSnow said:

Make sure the videos you're watching aren't sponsored by the manufacturer. They're not really reviews, they're just marketing.

Yeah of course not, just people who own the gun, i found a few reviews of people who hate it and why, and vice versa for why they love it just to make sure i get a non biased view.

One thing they all said is 90-100 rounds per co2, some pretty good efficiency, that's like 15 reloads haha

Archived