Holo Sights.......alternatives to dark clones?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I'm after alternatives guys.

I have two 552 clones, one is trademarked Eotech, the other a generic Chinese company, but both really reduce visibility indoors, I guess because of the half mirrored lense

Howeve, I have a Docter red dot holo sight on my TM G17 that doesn't reduce visibility. Not very strong though.

I also have a TM red dot 1x32 I think that looks like a mini scope, which doesn't appear to reduce visibility, but also doesn't look like it will take a decent knock!

So, my question is, has anybody had any experience of red dot/holo sights that are tough but which don't appear to reduce light levels?

Or, any experience of any type of optics that might meet my criteria?

Cheers

John

Erm, no sorry :D

19956871_10209572025713766_138693978385993345_o.thumb.jpg.a0d8081684034e595ee5ef68cfcd5664.jpg

UTG 3.9" ITA sights are nice, and some of the Trijicon clones work well. But to be honest if you're using them properly then they're all OK. Both eyes open, looking past the sight rather than trying to squint through it and letting the sight superimpose the dot/reticule on your vision.

51 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

UTG 3.9" ITA sights are nice, and some of the Trijicon clones work well. But to be honest if you're using them properly then they're all OK. Both eyes open, looking past the sight rather than trying to squint through it and letting the sight superimpose the dot/reticule on your vision.

Cheers, you're right of course, but I'm not, as much as I've tried, I cannot focus yet like that :(

Bushnell Holosight if you can find one, with a screen protector. 

23 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Cheers, you're right of course, but I'm not, as much as I've tried, I cannot focus yet like that :(

You have to kind if forget the sight is there. It takes a bit of getting used to, but until you get that nailed you're going to have the same problem with any sight.

If you really can't get it (and some people can't) then plan B would be a sight that's actually designed to be looked through, like...

http://www.tacticalscope.co.uk/nikko-stirling-diamond-30mm-1-4x24-wide-angle-red-illuminated-no4-dot-reticle-rifle-scope-1398-p.asp

I Use one on a DMR. With the magnification on 1-2 you can use it like a red dot sight, both eyes open, but you can also look through it due to the wide field of view and bright sight picture.

8 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

You have to kind if forget the sight is there. It takes a bit of getting used to, but until you get that nailed you're going to have the same problem with any sight.

If you really can't get it (and some people can't) then plan B would be a sight that's actually designed to be looked through, like...

http://www.tacticalscope.co.uk/nikko-stirling-diamond-30mm-1-4x24-wide-angle-red-illuminated-no4-dot-reticle-rifle-scope-1398-p.asp

I Use one on a DMR. With the magnification on 1-2 you can use it like a red dot sight, both eyes open, but you can also look through it due to the wide field of view and bright sight picture.

Cheers, I have something similar on one of M4's, works very well

I had an ACM Reflex which was quite good for the price. Super sharp, quite bright.

16938933_10208714033504446_1971250147289

8 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

I had an ACM Reflex which was quite good for the price. Super sharp, quite bright.

16938933_10208714033504446_1971250147289

That looks pretty good

Hangtight pretty much nailed it there. Look past the sight instead of focusing on it. I suppose things like video games are partly to blame as they make it seem as if all your attention has to be placed upon your optic. 

Keep both eyes open and focus on your target. With a little practice, the reticle will become part of your vision. Think of it more as a visual aid.

As for EOTech clones themselves, it seems that the lense of the cheap ones are tinted to a greater extent which is annoying. I'd advise going for a G&P EOTech as the lense isn't tinted to the point where you can barely see through it like they are on the cheaper ones.

1 hour ago, BigBlackGlock said:

Hangtight pretty much nailed it there. Look past the sight instead of focusing on it. I suppose things like video games are partly to blame as they make it seem as if all your attention has to be placed upon your optic. 

Keep both eyes open and focus on your target. With a little practice, the reticle will become part of your vision. Think of it more as a visual aid.

As for EOTech clones themselves, it seems that the lense of the cheap ones are tinted to a greater extent which is annoying. I'd advise going for a G&P EOTech as the lense isn't tinted to the point where you can barely see through it like they are on the cheaper ones.

Yes - in my photo you can see how the camera is focused on the bush, the sight housing is blurred but the reticle is sharp. And an extra note - even a slight astigmatism that you might not even know you have can cause a reticle to appear blurry.

• Supporters

@rocketdogbert This is a common problem for clone/repro sights marketed as "holosights".

In reality they are just normal red dot sights placed inside a Holosight body and often with all the EoTech branding poorly slapped on. The reason for the mirroring is that for the red dot to illuminate or bounce back so you can see it they mirror the front so it reflects back to you. The down side of that is that it reduces the level of light coming to you, imagine it like a sunglasses lens.

A real EoTech has clear glass on both front and back allowing you to see through and though without the level of light diminishing.

Like @tinkle60 said an older EoTech such as a 552 can be had for around £250 (i plan to get another), they are built like tanks and don't break as easily as the clones do. The best clone EoTech is the Hurricane ones but even these dressed up "holosights" cost £120 brand new, at that rate your better off buying once and getting the real thing.

If none of this makes sense you can read tis article from EoTech: http://www.eotechinc.com/sites/default/files/client/recognizing-counterfeit-sights_0.pdf

OIEgHoN.jpg

And here's a picture taken in room lit only by a single halogen desk lamp looking towards darkness, as you can see this Holographic Sight does not reduce visibility, the light level of the wall in the background is the same all around and through the sight. If you're keen eyed you will see that the inside roof of the sight is also curved, if you've read the above article linked then you'll know that this is a real EoTech, a 552 to be precise.

2 minutes ago, Shizbazki said:

@rocketdogbert This is a common problem for clone/repro sights marketed as "holosights".

In reality they are just normal red dot sights placed inside a Holosight body and often with all the EoTech branding poorly slapped on. The reason for the mirroring is that for the red dot to illuminate or bounce back so you can see it they mirror the front so it reflects back to you. The down side of that is that it reduces the level of light coming to you, imagine it like a sunglasses lens.

A real EoTech has clear glass on both front and back allowing you to see through and though without the level of light diminishing.

Like @tinkle60 said an older EoTech such as a 552 can be had for around £250 (i plan to get another), they are built like tanks and don't break as easily as the clones do. The best clone EoTech is the Hurricane ones but even these dressed up "holosights" cost £120 brand new, at that rate your better off buying once and getting the real thing.

If none of this makes sense you can read tis article from EoTech: http://www.eotechinc.com/sites/default/files/client/recognizing-counterfeit-sights_0.pdf

OIEgHoN.jpg

And here's a picture taken in room lit only by a single halogen desk lamp looking towards darkness, as you can see this Holographic Sight does not reduce visibility, the light level of the wall in the background is the same all around and through the sight. If you're keen eyed you will see that the inside roof of the sight is also curved, if you've read the above article linked then you'll know that this is a real EoTech, a 552 to be precise.

How about when your £250 holo sight takes a sniper shot to the glass though?

• Supporters

@AshOnSnowYou cant see it but there's a lens protector on there: 

lEGhULr.jpg
SEEEEEE

Also i have used this sight at nearly every skirmish i have ever been to since i got it so maybe about 10+ times and often i am front line, its never taken a shot to the lens. I have a spare lens protector for an EoTech that i shot at point blank range with my then Mancraft VSR-10 using .20g, .30g and .40g BBs. The VSR fired .20g at 700FPS or around 4.5joules which is way over UK limits, guess what! IT DIDN'T BREAK!

Hit me up please if anyone finds a legit Eotech for £250...

On 25/07/2017 at 7:36 PM, jcheeseright said:

just keep your eyes peeled, 552/512s come up relatively often on eBay/facebook 'real steel' groups. 

I did and I did. Grabbed a 552 last night.

No had my new Eotech in my hands yet, but the Bushnell I had was incredibly good and comparing it to a clone: just unfair!

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I use the Sightmark holo sights, they're made for real fire arms, pretty much bomb proof, and about half to a third cheaper than EOTech's.

Don't get me wrong real EO's are fantastic (I've never used a clone), but difficult to justify the price tag!

I know that red wolf started stocking these in the UK, unfortunately I think their stock probably got destroyed in the fire.....

Can definitely recommend them!

http://www.sightmark.com

Archived