UV Body worn lamp?

AshOnSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just had a thought - a small, dim UV black light worn on the chest or head, with luminous paint on the gun sights?

• Root Admin

Well I drilled out my Glock sights and put some Tritium vials in them for about 18 quid off eBay (2 for the rear, 1 for the front post). That worked really well and was super easy to do. Plastic would be even easier to drill.

Not sure if putting a huge 'COME AND SHOOT ME' light would be good for night time stuff where some people do have NV.

1 hour ago, proffrink said:

Well I drilled out my Glock sights and put some Tritium vials in them for about 18 quid off eBay (2 for the rear, 1 for the front post). That worked really well and was super easy to do. Plastic would be even easier to drill.

Not sure if putting a huge 'COME AND SHOOT ME' light would be good for night time stuff where some people do have NV.

Yeah I just put tritium on my M4, been sizing up my P226 for tritium vials but can't find any small enough (need 1.5 x 4/5mm for the front sight as there's a pin halfway down), and they all seem to start at lengths of 6mm - and the LAST thing I want is a tritium vial getting broken in my hand because it protruded from the sight and a sniper shot it! My friend suggested I "cut it down to size", had to explain the concept of what a vial is :P Although this is the same guy who WD40'd the brakes on his mum's car to try and stop them squeaking).

My glock is impossible to put tritium in, unless I can find something super short like 1.5x2mm

37 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Hm, I can't remember the size of the ones I got but they fit a Guarder set of steel TM G18C sights. Assume the 17 to be the same dimensions if that's what you're after.

They look the same on photos, you must have found some really tiny ones!

• Root Admin

Here they are: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tritium-Lamp-Vial-Tube-Capsule-Trigalight-6mm-x-1-5-mm-Glow-in-the-Dark-/131195842787?var=&hash=item1e8be1b0e3:m:mPMDbYkmzE0oELMk1jKzk5g

They fit with some room to spare. I filled out the rest with Sugru to hold them in place and provide a larger dot in the day time, but you could just drill an exact hole instead if you're ok with smaller dots for the day. They very bright at dusk though of course.

5 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Here they are: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tritium-Lamp-Vial-Tube-Capsule-Trigalight-6mm-x-1-5-mm-Glow-in-the-Dark-/131195842787?var=&hash=item1e8be1b0e3:m:mPMDbYkmzE0oELMk1jKzk5g

They fit with some room to spare. I filled out the rest with Sugru to hold them in place and provide a larger dot in the day time, but you could just drill an exact hole instead if you're ok with smaller dots for the day. They very bright at dusk though of course.

Oh those are 6mm - way too long for me. How on earth did you fit them on your glock sights?

The max length I can take on my sig is 5mm on the rear, and 4mm on the front.

Just now, proffrink said:

Dunno, but they fit perfectly.

Have you got a picture?

13 minutes ago, Jay91 said:

doesnt include the tritum though by the looks of it

I think it does, but I have a WE P226, the housing is different.

I need to somehow find:

1x green 1.6mm x 3-4mm

2x orange 1.6mm x 5-6mm.

For the glock I'll need even shorter - 

1x green 1.6mm x 2mm

2x orange 1.6 x 2mm

Not sure how proffrink was able to fit 6mm vials into glock sights which are only 3-4mm long without them exposed out the end.

19 minutes ago, jcheeseright said:

To be fair, it's Airsoft. Just get standard luminous ones and shine a bright light on them for 5 seconds before you go out into the game area? 

Because they only last a couple minutes and it's a PITA to keep stopping, wiggling a torch around then carrying on over and over, and since tritium vials can be had for under £10, it just seems the better option.

Unless you know of some super high tech luminous paint that lasts a really long time, for 5 seconds of a 600 lumen concentrated beam, it will lose half its glow after about 20 seconds, last another 40 seconds or so before needing another charge. Honestly can't be bothered to keep charging it all the time like that.

• Supporters
20 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

Because they only last a couple minutes and it's a PITA to keep stopping, wiggling a torch around then carrying on over and over, and since tritium vials can be had for under £10, it just seems the better option.

Unless you know of some super high tech luminous paint that lasts a really long time, for 5 seconds of a 600 lumen concentrated beam, it will lose half its glow after about 20 seconds, last another 40 seconds or so before needing another charge. Honestly can't be bothered to keep charging it all the time like that.

It definitely exists, the stuff on the hands of my watch glows visibly for over 2 hours after being exposed to light. 

23 minutes ago, jcheeseright said:

It definitely exists, the stuff on the hands of my watch glows visibly for over 2 hours after being exposed to light. 

Just ordered some aurora paint which is apparently a little better, time will tell though.

Archived