What's the fuss with hi capas?

AshOnSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I keep seeing hi capa this, hi capa that. Tried one in a shop that they were trying the hard sell with and it just felt weird and looked weirder, like a 1911-style toys-r-us promo.

What is it that you like about hi capas, where's all the hype coming from?

• Supporters

Hi-capas are very well constructed pistols. The 1911's problem is the thin mag that has low gas capacity. Hi-capas fix that. There are upgrade parts in every price range for it and that's why it's the choice of airsoft IPSC shooters.

23 minutes ago, Samurai said:

Hi-capas are very well constructed pistols. The 1911's problem is the thin mag that has low gas capacity. Hi-capas fix that. There are upgrade parts in every price range for it and that's why it's the choice of airsoft IPSC shooters.

As long as the gas capacity can handle the ammo capacity, why should it need more? Just gas up when you reload.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, AshOnSnow said:

As long as the gas capacity can handle the ammo capacity, why should it need more? Just gas up when you reload.

In my experience as good as tm 1911s are- owned one and two night warriors- they often can't empty the mag and lock back. As a result I'd always go for double stack mags where possible due to the gas capacity 

@AshOnSnow Main thing for me was trigger response, I could squeeze off shots like it was full auto. Felt nice too, nice to look at and nice in my hand.

But as mentioned the upgradability and general sense of it being one of the best built and most accurate pistols.

6 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

I keep seeing hi capa this, hi capa that. Tried one in a shop that they were trying the hard sell with and it just felt weird and looked weirder, like a 1911-style toys-r-us promo.

What is it that you like about hi capas, where's all the hype coming from?

Good topic this to be fair, what hi-capa did you hold though mate?

I for one like hi-capas, but not all of them to be honest. I have a few, the TM Gold Match, the standard TM 5.1 hi-capas, and my ultimate limcat custom build gun, tried a few WE hi-capas but was not keen for a few reasons, (im not a WE hater though i have a few other WE guns and really like them) .

My TM Gold Match is my favourite and go to airsoft pistol, it out performs all my others and all others i have ever owned in every way..

Accuracy with the Right BB's is outstanding, My limcat custom build gun also has great accuracy short and long range..

olkShZvl.jpg

lx2EIbSl.jpg

G6yNNB5l.jpg

2nGX1OLl.jpg

I must admit though i find The TM gold match to be of better quality then my standard TM 5.1 hi-capas and my TM gold match does not seem to suffer from cool down at all, once again with good gas, Aim Top Arms Gas or Airsoft Surgoen gas works great.. heres my cool down video or lack of it lol..

Which is great for me as my local gun club is underground so in the winter is gets crazy cold, toe numbing cold lol..

I do like a 1911 style pistol too, plus with the TM based hi-capas upgrades and customization is never endless.

Yeah i do love a hi-capa.. lol :)

Happy Shooting All..

ATB, Marc..

It's basically the m4 of pistols. Very easy to personalise and make your own. While I prefer the usp, there's not a great deal you can do with them. You've seen one, you've seen them all

Have only had a play with an Armourer Works split slide one, how do they compare with TM?

12 hours ago, Marc.RG1 said:

Good topic this to be fair, what hi-capa did you hold though mate?

It will have been a WE one I tried.

6 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

Have only had a play with an Armourer Works split slide one, how do they compare with TM?

It's a posh WE to be fair, it's WE but AW specs, quality is better then standard WE hi-capas but it still has their down falls unfortunately,  poor hop system and lack of compatible after market spares..  what they are good for is if you want a cheap to med price range full Metal hi-capa that you run until it dies.. I don't recommend them to people who want to upgrade..

ATB, Marc

• Root Admin

And who's saying that? Them? People who bought it as their first pistol?

I don't think AW pistols have been proven at all, whereas TM ones have a really distinct pedigree. If you have the money, just buy TM - the bit about plastic slides being bad is basically nonsense and I'd implore anyone to pick up one of their newer designs and see if they can tell which is plastic and which isn't. The way they apply the finish is basically indistinguishable from real metal at a distance of more than 30cm and the magazine makes it feel more than heavy enough to pass for the real thing. TM Hi-capas are some of the best performing pistols out there given the large gas capacity and fairly foolproof design. Whether Hi-capas in general look good is another story I guess. I know I don't like them but hey.

11 minutes ago, proffrink said:

And who's saying that? Them? People who bought it as their first pistol?

I don't think AW pistols have been proven at all, whereas TM ones have a really distinct pedigree. If you have the money, just buy TM - the bit about plastic slides being bad is basically nonsense and I'd implore anyone to pick up one of their newer designs and see if they can tell which is plastic and which isn't. The way they apply the finish is basically indistinguishable from real metal at a distance of more than 30cm and the magazine makes it feel more than heavy enough to pass for the real thing. TM Hi-capas are some of the best performing pistols out there given the large gas capacity and fairly foolproof design. Whether Hi-capas in general look good is another story I guess. I know I don't like them but hey.

It's good that even though TM Hi-capas are not your thing. You can still appreciate the quality and performance of them..

Your right with some of TM new guns being hard to tell they are not metal the plastic is done very nicely, my TM U.S M9 is done very well, looks awesome to be fair, it's not the same class as plastic say WA did with the metal dust within the plastic but still done to a good standard, better then the Hi-capas although it don't performs as good that's for sure..

Yeah to be fair though most of the people that thing the AW are the dogs danglies (good saying) are either quite new to shooting or they don't have other Hi-capas to compare them with or because they trying to promote the gun either because they are trying to sell it or have been given it so they feel they have to say it's good.. 

Don't get me wrong though I'm not saying that they are bad pistols because they are not bad, their design and tolerances are just not as good as TM but they are better then the standard WE Hi-capas but like I say unfortunately they still suffer with the same downfalls the standard WE ones have..

In most cases metal will be stronger then plastic so AW does have that advantage over a stock TM Hi-capas but really that's it to be honest, I'm not going to lie though I do really like the look of one of the AW works Hi-capas, can't remember off the top of my head the model number but it's the pure Matt back version,  visually it looks awesome but I would not buy it because I know the WE flaws would but me and I know it will not perform like me gold match so I would get up not using it..

OK I have gone on enough lol, sorry if there's any typos im using my phone at the moment.

Happy shooting all..

ATB Marc

My first gun was a TM pistol, M92f would still be using it (and likely using it as much as my primary) if I didnt buy the MK23 (also TM) so the metal/plastic debate is a moot point for me.

It was just the impression I had, cant recall why I thought so. Maybe read or heard something, maybe when I considering getting one (for about half a day while at the Mall and speaking to the store upstairs who was trying to give me a hard sell on one*) was just sharing an opinion and asking a question.

*so glad I didnt as I would never had got my MK23 if I had!

Archived