Cheap vs expensive mosfet

occidio
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I want faster trigger response, part of it because I hate the sound of the engine. I've seen youtube ads for expensive mosfets. Where they almost guarantee lightning fast response due to their mosfet. Is there a big difference in response "faster motor sound" from cheap to expensive mosfets??  and which will you recommend just to get quick response?
My AEG old metal CA

Standard gears  shim correkt,
Motor new SHS High Torque.
battery 9.6v    " Thinking of getting 11.1 lipo "

• Supporters

The motor sounds will be the same for the same power input. A mosfet works by bypassing the trigger contacts which in turn allows a higher current to be drawn by the motor. Any half decent mosfet will do this. The more expensive ones just tend to add additional features like active braking, thermal fuses, precocking etc.

If all you want is faster trigger response then any reasonable mosfet will do it as long as it's wired in properly.

I know that the sound itself is the same. But if it's over faster, the sound is not so significant. some just has a much better sound where you almost only hear when the piston hits sorbroen

First things first. SHS High Torque + 11.1v+stock gears = around 27-28rps which is the point at which BAD THINGS start to happen unless you know what you're doing. A 7.4 lipo will give you a performance increase over your current NiMh 9.6v without taking you near issues with pre engagement.

Trigger response comes from the ability of the motor to get up to its full speed quickly. It won't do this if the power system cannot supply the current required. The other part of trigger response is being able to pull the piston back quickly. This is why a torque motor is often paired with speed gears.

If you are going to the effort of fitting a Mosfet then fit decent 16awg wiring and Deans connectors at the same time. This is the foundation of any further work you might do.

At the bottom end something like the Firestorm basic Mosfet will give your gun a bit more snap, as long as the battery and wiring are there. It won't make a whole lot of difference if you are still using NiMh batteries and skinny wiring with poor connectors.

At the other end of the scale the Gate Titan offers a lot of adjustability. So far as trigger response goes then the best response will come from a system that supports pre cocking.

Archived