DMR that could be used in a support role?

Tamberlin
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone,

As I'm almost exclusively playing long-range woodland games (I already have a weapon for CQB anyhow), I've decided that my next airsoft gun should be something with a bit more range and accuracy than your average assault rifle.

However, I also love the support gunner role, being able to keep heads down and stop the enemy team from doing much.

I was thinking the G&G M14 HBA-L, with its 450 round magazines, would be pretty good for this. The only downside I can tell is that it's pretty damn heavy, disproportionately so at the front.

Does anyone know of any other guns that'd nicely fit the role between DMR and support weapon? (Around £400-ish).

Cheers! 

• Supporters

A fully upgraded support weapon can be very accurate and have decent range, with the rate of fire you don't actually need it to be shooting extreme distances, hold the trigger and walk forward, not many people are stupid enough to stand in the way of that bullet stream.

My m60 is very accurate, and has effective range to around 50-60m, I haven't upgraded it fully, I don't need it to fire any more rps. I use .20s because they are cheap for the amount this thing uses, but you could go up to .28s if you have a money tree and increase your effective range.

I would challenge anyone to 1vs1 a DMR vs Support,

Just my opinion..

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Tamberlin said:

Does anyone know of any other guns that'd nicely fit the role between DMR and support weapon? (Around £400-ish).

Any aeg, just stick a high cap in it and you have a support weapon straight away. 

Most aegs can perform more or less the same so get the one you like the look of most and upgrade the components that affect the accuracy, then stick a high capacity mag in and you have a support gun too

35 minutes ago, Prisce said:

A fully upgraded support weapon can be very accurate and have decent range, with the rate of fire you don't actually need it to be shooting extreme distances, hold the trigger and walk forward, not many people are stupid enough to stand in the way of that bullet stream.

My m60 is very accurate, and has effective range to around 50-60m, I haven't upgraded it fully, I don't need it to fire any more rps. I use .20s because they are cheap for the amount this thing uses, but you could go up to .28s if you have a money tree and increase your effective range.

I would challenge anyone to 1vs1 a DMR vs Support,

Just my opinion..

But aren't most support guns, and pardon the colloquialism, 'f*ck-off heavy'? :P 

I mean, the M14 is about 4.2kg. After all the attachments and the battery and the BBs, it'll be around 4.8kg-5kg. But most support guns are 6kg+, right? The M60 is 7kg, I believe.

I would LOVE an A&K PKM, for example, but the weight is just overwhelming. 

1 minute ago, PT247 said:

Anyone carrying a hicap is running a support weapon.
No need for heavy crap

I guess so. 

So you'd recommend a normal AEG with a hi-cap and upgraded internals? Does inner barrel length matter considerably? 

Guest PT247

I run a PDW when running just an AEG, it outranges a lot of others that are longer and shorter with the same fps. A DMR is a big gun in real life, but in airsoft they are all toys.... go with the most useful.

_20161217_113053_zpszqnezwn7.jpg

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/amoeba-m4m16-900-round-mega-mag-(black).htm#.WVLZL2jTW9c

Or....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Airsoft-Accessories-BATTLEAXE-2500rd-Electric/dp/B01M72NI49/ref=sr_1_25?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1498601862&sr=1-25

and you've got a support weapon. Get it firing 30+ rps and no one will be sticking their head up. Plus if you retain the semi auto, stick a regular mag in and it's an 'assault' rifle again. You'll want a full A2 stock though... Plenty of space to put a big lipo. And remember that Mosfets aren't great at handling a sustained high current unless they're rated for it, and trigger contacts melt. There's a reason sport weapons use big micro switches or even relays.

• Supporters

One thing no one has mentioned thus far is fps, typically a dmr (locked to semi) has up to 450fps, where as a support weapon falls under the aeg banner of 350fps (full auto). (Site rules allowing)

I highly doubt any site will allow you to reconfigure your gun to this degree during a game etc.

USMC IRL are using the H&K M27 IAR as an accurate support weapon to replace the M249. One grunt (per squad?) will have it and 10 or so mags to lay down pinpoint suppressive fire...

How you'd do this for airsoft is an entirely separate matter...

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Hangtight said:

Get it firing 30+ rps and no one will be sticking their head up.

Support gunning is not for me at all but when I was thinking about it many many years ago I thought it should have low rps so I could lay down continous fire with it. If you shoot 8-10 BBs in a sec that's still a lot of BBs they can't get away from but the mags last 3 times longer.

• Supporters

This very much falls back into the "airsoft has two camps" school of thought. On the one hand yes you can suppress people with an M4 pistol and a drum mag but on the other it's not very "realistic". So it all comes down to whether or not you want an actual support gun or just something to suppress people with.

I fall into the "support guns should look like support guns and DMR's shouldn't pistols with sniper scopes" camp. I have an M249 for the days I just want to sit on a corner and annoy people and an M14 for the "reach out and touch someone" days. That said there's no reason at all why you couldn't get an M14 shooting accurately with decent(ish) range at 350 FPS and keep the select fire to be able to lay down suppression when you need to.

10 hours ago, Samurai said:

Support gunning is not for me at all but when I was thinking about it many many years ago I thought it should have low rps so I could lay down continous fire with it. If you shoot 8-10 BBs in a sec that's still a lot of BBs they can't get away from but the mags last 3 times longer.

With the M27 this is one place that the FCU controlled guns really shine as you can just own two control units etc.

I thought about doing this myself, but deemed the VFC m27 AEG too expensive.

That said, I never considered a lower rate of fire, but now that I think about it, its a great idea, for one thing at 4 or 8 rounds per second the repeat impact health and safety risk is dramatically reduced if on is firing in 20-30 round bursts.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Hangtight said:

http://www.beltfedar.com/gallery/photos/

Or build yourself one of these.

va_IMG_0085.jpg

Sooo.....a Krytac LMG then? Which is basically a shrike belt fed upper with a fancy handguard after all.

Any AEG with a hi cap is basically a support weapon.

DMRs are good for woodland sites, but you can't really use them as a support weapon too since they are usually semi auto only, at 400-500fps.

Archived