New player in Watford

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm looking to start playing airsoft, hopefully should get my first game on 2nd July at Reforger Airsoft in Watford. I'm coming to the sport a bit late as I'm 40 years old so expecting the younger guys to run circles around me!!

Airsoft is something that in the past I thought would be interesting to get into, (I used to paintball often) but then life got in the way and I forgot about it until a few weeks back when I was in the local army surplus store and the owner just said, "You should come and play airsoft with us" I had this moment where I realised I had forgotten all about that and that it was something I'd really like to do. So I've been watching a ton of videos, reading forums and guides. I have multi-cam trousers and a top and have bought myself a half face mask and a set of Bolle PILOPSI Pilot goggles (I did a bit of a search around and as far as I can tell these should be ok(?)) and am hoping to get a decent pair of boots. I wanted to get a few bits of my own safety equipment but will rent a gun on the day. I'm pretty certain I'll enjoy it which is why I went ahead and got these bits. 

Are there any of you guys near Watford / have you played at Reforger?
I'm going to be going on my own so hopefully I can get to meet a few of the regulars to show me the ropes. 

Cheers

Jay

• Head Moderator

Welcome :). Never too old to start the hobby, enthusiasm counts for a lot.  Take your hits, get stuck in, and keep calm when all those around you are running about like headless chickens. Having your own kit helps; I used a hire face mask for my first game and vowed never again. It still took several attempts to find out what best suited me, getting fogged up goggles is not much fun.

Thanks for the reply Jedi Master! I can't wait to get playing! The team work to achieve an objective is one of the most appealing parts of airsoft for me. One of the things I used to hate when joining a paintball game was everyone running off and doing their own thing. As far as I can tell airsoft tends to be more tactical and players seem more interested in working as a team. Can't wait to get stuck in.

May the Force be with you ;)

Hi, and welcome. I started in my early 40s too so don't worry about the age thing. I tried Red 1 Airsoft last weekend which is also in Watford just off the M25. Look them up on Facebook. I thought it was pretty good there but pretty hard going due to the heat. The morning was CQB in an old school followed by woodland games which also tended to be at CQB to medium ranges.

Welcome welcome! You say you might be the older one but judging by this post it seems me at 26 will be closer to the odd one out! Glad to see you're new and picking up the sport as well :) I'm from Harrow so we're not too far apart, and it's a shame as i'm busy that weekend or else i would have jumped down as well.

Have fun that weekend!

Hi, I'm in Rickmansworth, so right next to Watford. Red 1 is a great site, run by nice guys. Reforger isn't too bad either, the site is nice, the regular players are kind and helpful in my experience. Just a thought, in this heat, don't forget to carry water on you. It would be great to grab a water bladder from Tescos (or similar) and stick it into a small backpack so you have a few litres to keep you up and running. Let us know how you get on on the 2nd!

@TheKairez and @MZKaleem You guys are right down the road from me so hopefully I'll see you at one of the local sites sometime soon! I think I'm going to try my first couple of goes at Reforger as it's right near my house and it will give me a chance to learn the site / get to know a few of the regulars. I was planning on carrying a few bottles of water in a backpack but maybe a bladder would be a better way to go, I'll look into that, thanks for the advice! :)

Archived