Airsoft Forums UK

When to open a dispute with PayPal?

MILITATED
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi!

I bought 4x KWA Kriss Vector mags last week from 2 different sellers (2 from each seller). 2 of them have arrived and the seller was fantastic, but the other seller hasn't responded when asked if the mags have been posted, for a tracking number or some other proof of postage. The user simply just goes online (after a few days), reads the message and heads back offline for another few days. I believe I've sent 3 messages*? 

The mags I bought from him were meant to arrive either last Saturday or last Monday if a 3 day courier was used. 

The fact that it has been more than a week (assuming they'd be delivered Sat) since I expected delivery and not having any responses from the seller is a bit weird. Nothing takes this long unless it is coming from Asia or similar (the seller is in the UK).

*First message was right after payment asking the seller to let me know once the mags had been posted. (No response)

Second message was similar to the first, I assumed he may have missed the message or forgotten. (No response)

Third message was asking for either a tracking number or proof of postage. (No response)

It'd odd as the seller has an almost perfect positive feedback score so I don't know what to think.

I can't seem to get him to respond so when would it be understandable to open a PayPal dispute? I paid via goods & services.

Thanks!

Having been on both ends of a PayPal dispute, I would be inclined to say give the seller another week. Is he a private seller? Has he gone on holiday? Has his granny died?? Sounds daft I know but sh*t happens that we can't always control.

Just my two penneth.

Rob.

• Head Moderator

Agree with @proffrink, I would open the PayPal dispute.  Have experienced similar on eBay when the seller did not have the goods and failed to respond to a series of emails. Better safe than sorry; it is not difficult to send a quick reply to at least acknowledge you. 

Paypal disputes don't force a reply, they automatically refund, leaving the seller in a pickle. I know this because the item in question in my case, was seen in the buyers vehicle After he had disputed and been refunded. Not sure if everyone is aware but paypal is approximately 80% automated. Just saying...

• Root Admin

I don't see how you can think the seller is in unduly being put in a pickle when they have 20 days to reply. If they reply and the customer/buyer doesn't then it gets settled the other way. If it gets to the 20 days and the customer isn't satisfied then they have to escalate it or it gets closed in the sellers favour. There can be an automatic suspension of the funds whilst this takes place, but this is on the account itself - it won't withdraw from ones bank to make up the balance. Basically, don't keep any money in PayPal if you're not happy with this. It's free to withdraw at any time.

PayPal escalations aren't automated, and if the seller replies and a resolution isn't met within that time frame then it's at least overseen by an agent.

I hate PayPal's practices as much as anyone else, but usually when it comes to how they handle escalations. The whole 'force to reply through the threat of a refund' is basically 100% effective and does stop people messing you about online. The buyers time is just as valuable, and if they're needing to send multiple emails just to get a reply then that's not on on them. If the seller needs to take a hit due to 20-30 days inactivity then I'm afraid that's something they must be aware of when they make the transaction in the first place. I'd be happy to work something out after the fact if they have a legitimate excuse, but there aren't many scenarios where you're not able to shoot off an email for 3 weeks.

As for selling: Always a recorded delivery if it's worth anything over say £20. PayPal will firmly lean on the side of the seller if you've done this. I imagine your deal was done person-to-person? If so, I'm not sure of the procedure there.

I'm kinda glad paypal works the way it does (against sellers), I usually fire and forget when I use it to sell stuff. Once I've been to the post office got back and in putted tracking data(which isn't here) I just walk away and get on with my life. I don't check back for a week or so usually - if not longer.

Archived