My first RIF - VFC Avalon Saber CQB

warlord
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

All excited as my new rif arrived today. No battery, no bb's though. So all it can do so far is look pretty.

VFC Avalon Saber CQB

19092828_10209284242839374_3036181641292644030_o.thumb.jpg.bc55cc23f222407b9f77e6f77e994268.jpg

It came from Gun-fire.pl and they chrono'd it before shipping. In the case was the result... averages 365fps. So looks like a spring downgrade is in order.

I tore it down as far as I dared for now to see how much fun would be involved in pulling the gearbox. It would be a great idea if the quick release spring mechanism could be accessed just by removing the stock and buffer tube :( But no, got to drop the motor and gearbox out. The pins holding the upper and lower together are a nice touch. They slide outward to release them, but don't actually come out. So I can't lose them.

pins in bits

Waiting on QRS mags from Redwolf USA, that according to UPS, so far have visited Hong Kong, Castle Donnington, UK and now are in Dubai - I have no clue what's going on :D

That's a bit gucci for a first rif! 

How's it going?

I think I've decided on the krytac anyway but it's a lovely gun. one thing that put me off, my mrs said the mag looks like a big black veiny c..k :o

On 2017-6-23 at 4:22 PM, Sitye said:

That's a bit gucci for a first rif! 

How's it going?

Been killing me from the inside! No battery and no bb's. Then I go on holiday for a week whilst the batteries etc. arrive. So had it all this time and only been able to shoot it today!

I first tried it out in the garden against a flatterned cardboard target with the standard spring and a 7.4 lipo with .25g bios. Very pleased with it. I was able to fairly easy group my shots around the one inch dot I was aiming at. A bit more messing with the iron sights and it only got better.

So I then had to downgrade it as the shipped chrono showed it at ~368fps. So time to tear it down and slip in and SHS M100 spring.

I took photos along the way, but then realised I didn't take photos once it got hard. The damned double sided fire selector gear mechanism required full concentration to not loose the tiniest of bb's that give it that click into place.

Once I got to the quick change spring well... quick change my arse. I guess it's only the actual spring change that is fast, getting the gearbox out for sure isn't fast.

But the new M100 spring is a little longer than the one it's replacing. Which seems odd. Also seems higher tension when fitting it. I'm going to have to wait until the weekend to chrono it though. If it's hot it's all go to come apart again :)

19511246_10209388740211743_2665403423572785373_n.jpg.9c1e1da70eab8addcf2d2f3f18bcbfab.jpg

Not the best photo on the smartest of back grounds. Top is new SHS M100 bottom originally fitted spring.

On 2017-6-27 at 7:03 PM, warlord said:

Been killing me from the inside! No battery and no bb's. Then I go on holiday for a week whilst the batteries etc. arrive. So had it all this time and only been able to shoot it today!

I first tried it out in the garden against a flatterned cardboard target with the standard spring and a 7.4 lipo with .25g bios. Very pleased with it. I was able to fairly easy group my shots around the one inch dot I was aiming at. A bit more messing with the iron sights and it only got better.

So I then had to downgrade it as the shipped chrono showed it at ~368fps. So time to tear it down and slip in and SHS M100 spring.

I took photos along the way, but then realised I didn't take photos once it got hard. The damned double sided fire selector gear mechanism required full concentration to not loose the tiniest of bb's that give it that click into place.

Once I got to the quick change spring well... quick change my arse. I guess it's only the actual spring change that is fast, getting the gearbox out for sure isn't fast.

But the new M100 spring is a little longer than the one it's replacing. Which seems odd. Also seems higher tension when fitting it. I'm going to have to wait until the weekend to chrono it though. If it's hot it's all go to come apart again :)

19511246_10209388740211743_2665403423572785373_n.jpg.9c1e1da70eab8addcf2d2f3f18bcbfab.jpg

Not the best photo on the smartest of back grounds. Top is new SHS M100 bottom originally fitted spring.

Classic 'Quick Change' spring - Slow as Sh1t change gearbox though.

I don't know many RIF's at all that are genuinely quick change. My L85A2 probably the quickest due to the split gearbox, and even that is about 16 screws and two pins! haha

Glad it's been fun though, sounds awesome!

• 1 year later...
On 15/06/2017 at 19:50, warlord said:

It came from Gun-fire.pl and they chrono'd it before shipping. In the case was the result... averages 365fps. So looks like a spring downgrade is in order.

Hi guys,

Sorry to dig up an old thread but don't know if any of you guys would have an idea on this...

Got myself a Saber Carbine (for my first gun also :)) a couple months ago and chrono'd it a few times myself after putting a few rounds through it to wear it in and it come through at about 290...

I've since taken it to a few games and had it done on site and was coming back around the 300-315 mark (now also reads this on my chrono as well so at least that rules out my chrono being out of whack).

Seems strange as this one was advertised at 390fps or thereabouts so a whole 100fps off :/

I did wonder if because the site limit for AEGs across the UK is generally around 350fps, give or take, that maybe because it was from the UK version of RedWolf the gun was brought down a few notches to save having to buy a new spring straight away to meet site limits?

I had already bought a M100 spring in prep for this so maybe popping that in will bring it up to the 330fps mark?

Other than this the gun performs brilliantly so I didn't see any point in sending it back just for the sake of lower fps than detailed on the site considering I'd have to lose about 50 of them anyways!

Didn't know if anyone could perhaps shed a bit more light on this?

At a guess the spring was downgraded as 390 would have been illegal.  If it is still under guarantee I would contact the shop before opening it up, as that will most likely void the guarantee.

The loss of FPS could be anything, e.g. airseal, as the shop what spring is in there before you open it up, as if it is already an M100, you won't gain much if anything.

Cheers

G

17 hours ago, MisterG said:

At a guess the spring was downgraded as 390 would have been illegal.  If it is still under guarantee I would contact the shop before opening it up, as that will most likely void the guarantee.

The loss of FPS could be anything, e.g. airseal, as the shop what spring is in there before you open it up, as if it is already an M100, you won't gain much if anything.

Cheers

G

Cheers G,

I reckon I'm safe in saying we're correct with the assumption of downgrading it compared to the US market as I just thought it'd be worth checking the site listing of the product where I originally bought it and they've now changed the fps to 310 so my guess would that RedWolf c&p'ed their US listing of the gun to the UK site and got a load of questions like mine and then thought to change it to read 310!

I'll pop an email over to RedWolf now to see if they can shed some light on the spring situation because like you say it'll be pointless pulling it apart to change to the same spring... Considering the fps is right between a rough guide for the M90 and M100 there's no clear guess as to what it is now!

EDIT:

For anyone who's reading this back and needs to know...

Got a reply from Redwolf:

"All UK spec VFC are fitted with M90 springs"

I guess an M100 might have put it close to/over the limit for some CQB sites, e.g. 340 max at the Mall, and they are very strict.

If it is working fine, I'd be inclined to leave it alone for now, unless you are really good at gearboxes.

Cheers

G

On 23/06/2017 at 16:26, ProPain87 said:

I think I've decided on the krytac anyway but it's a lovely gun. one thing that put me off, my mrs said the mag looks like a big black veiny c..k :o

Don't get the first revision otherwise you will get krycrack.

4 hours ago, cropzy said:

Don't get the first revision otherwise you will get krycrack.

This is quite an old thread, funds changed at the time so I ended up not getting either. Although a year later I did end up buying an Avalon 😀

As for the spring I got my saber cqb from jd Airsoft and it chrono’d at 390 but came with a spare spring in the box which they changed it to which chronos at 295 with .25s around 330 with .2s

E101C33E-557E-431A-85EC-EBD7175E7A82.jpeg

Archived