Why would you use electronic hearing protector? why wouldn't?

Tommy Gunn
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

On 2017/5/22 at 6:08 PM, skillfulmmd said:

Thats the plan I will look around and see what other brands offer this it will only be for mil sims id use a radio anyways, at a normal skirmish day it seems far to over the top. 

I've tried Z-TAC, Peltor, now I've a Eamor, and it works well for me. 

not much reviews online, but you can give it a try.

1.png

On 2017/5/23 at 8:42 PM, Sacarathe said:

Where do you play? That helmet looks familiar.

I apologise if I suggested something I know little about couldn't be done, I am a little envious of others that have I pro which works for them. Since the lense broke down in my goggles I've not replaced them and been using a paintball mask since.

I would love to own this type of ear pro.

there are many earpro that work with helmet.

Having had hearing damage from years of working in a music venue and gigging around the country either with bands or on behalf of other people, protecting whats left of my hearing while I can is the smartest thing to do especially in a hobby where loud noises can be quite prevalent.

I use the MSA sordin supreme pro-x as they have the auto cut off feature for sounds that are above a certain threshold (I believe it to be 85db?) coupled with that i can use the Aux port to run to a fist mic is the ideal set up for me as it keeps things out the way of my mouth (the boom mic is very annoying on other versions) and they are stupidly comfortable using the hygiene (gel) cups.

Amplifying the surrounding ambient noise is also one of the best features about wearing headsets like this, I've lost count how many times I've heard things I wouldn't always have heard if I hadn't been wearing them which does has its advantages.

1 hour ago, clumpyedge said:

Having had hearing damage from years of working in a music venue and gigging around the country either with bands or on behalf of other people, protecting whats left of my hearing while I can is the smartest thing to do especially in a hobby where loud noises can be quite prevalent.

I use the MSA sordin supreme pro-x as they have the auto cut off feature for sounds that are above a certain threshold (I believe it to be 85db?) coupled with that i can use the Aux port to run to a fist mic is the ideal set up for me as it keeps things out the way of my mouth (the boom mic is very annoying on other versions) and they are stupidly comfortable using the hygiene (gel) cups.

Amplifying the surrounding ambient noise is also one of the best features about wearing headsets like this, I've lost count how many times I've heard things I wouldn't always have heard if I hadn't been wearing them which does has its advantages.

looks like sordin is good, but it's far over my budget, not possible to own one pair recently.

my Earmor M32 works good as its price, the amplifying function is cool, just like simple version hearing aids XD

I went all out on a Peltor ComTac XP set up on eBay, as it had a PTT, Head band cover and Mic' included in the listing.

Tried comms with team-mates on Sunday and their incoming transmissions were good, my outgoings were a bit quieter compared to their headsets (Z-Tac Bowmans).

However, the noise amplification and noise protection elements are superb. Having relatives suffering with tinnitus leaves me in doubt that it really is a condition to be avoided.

16 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

I went all out on a Peltor ComTac XP set up on eBay, as it had a PTT, Head band cover and Mic' included in the listing.

Tried comms with team-mates on Sunday and their incoming transmissions were good, my outgoings were a bit quieter compared to their headsets (Z-Tac Bowmans).

However, the noise amplification and noise protection elements are superb. Having relatives suffering with tinnitus leaves me in doubt that it really is a condition to be avoided.

your outgoing sounds quieter because they use ztac stuffs, can't compare with Peltor.

It is usable so that is all that matter. Could be the Z-Tac PTT (which is powered by a battery) I use. I haven't got a RS PTT.

2 hours ago, Dentonboy said:

It is usable so that is all that matter. Could be the Z-Tac PTT (which is powered by a battery) I use. I haven't got a RS PTT.

I might be wrong as im not clued up on COMMS but you may want to get yourself an amplified PTT rather than a bog standard one.

4 hours ago, Tommy Gunn said:

looks like sordin is good, but it's far over my budget, not possible to own one pair recently.

my Earmor M32 works good as its price, the amplifying function is cool, just like simple version hearing aids XD

I look at my hearing like I do eye pro. You only get one set of both and its best to look after them sooner rather than later.

24 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

I might be wrong as im not clued up on COMMS but you may want to get yourself an amplified PTT rather than a bog standard one.

Cheers, I probably will when I have a spare £70 laying around!!!

• Supporters

Sordin/peltor are the most expensive/robust. But for protection anything with the appropriate rating will do the job. 

A cheap set of real ear ear defenders will be 100x better than a reproduction set of peltors or sordins. 

3 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

you can get amped ones toy soldier and places like that from what im aware of for cheaper than 70 quid.

The one I have is battery powered, so I assume this is similar? Will check it out, thanks.

• Supporters

I've used a set of electronic Peltor comtacs every game for some years now.  Pretty much always play indoors and my hearing is still kinda-somewhat intact, so a BFG going off right by me at the mall in some enclosed space is bloody unpleasant frankly; have hearing tests annually and I don't want to end up getting booted out because of airsoft (unlikely, but still).  Wearing ESS goggles with the strap under the standard headband on the Peltors is no problem at all, perfectly comfortable and I've got full seal against BBs and protection against noise; as well as a plastic mask attached to the goggles to look after my teeth.  Weighs very little, diminishes my peripheral vision and directional hearing but in a game I really don't give a ****, rather guarantee that I keep my hearing, eyes and teeth.

On 22/05/2017 at 1:09 PM, Tommy Gunn said:

If the "WHAAAAT???!" means "You can't restore the 80% hearing system back to 100%", then it's "YES".B)

Had neurosensory hearing loss when I was 15. Lost almost all hearing in my right ear. Pretty shite situation for a musician.

Managed to fix it with aggressive steroids and hyperbaric oxygen treatment.

Archived