S-Thunder grenade launcher

tpelling
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have tried out one of these S-Thunder handheld launchers and I loved it. It's small, easy and does what it needs to do. Now im about to buy one as I have an upcoming game at bexley for which I really wanted the launcher. I have seen a few websites saying that the S-Thunder is not an RIF and a few saying it is. What is the status on this please?

• Supporters
I believe it IS NOT a replica firearm, it doesn't exist real-steel, so it isn't even an IF.

any underslung launcher is an accesroy and as such does not require UKARA or site membership

any standalone unit is a RIF and requires a legit. defence

An under slung launcher is an RIF, just there was that really old 1 off battery box holder, that wasn't classed as an RIF.

Now im about to buy one as I have an upcoming game at bexley for which...

There's a skirmish site in Bexley ?!?!?! Where? Link please! That is literally five minutes from me!

• AF-UK Founding Member

I've looked into it further and I think you're best off just enquiring from wherever you get it..

For example:

Zero one offer a two tone option on their GL's (suggesting that you need a defence) but airsoft world and action hobbies don't offer this and don't say that a defence is required to buy, in fact action hobbies says:

"By law you must be over 18 to purchase any Airsoft gun. (excludes parts and accessories)"

I'd say that means anyone could purchase a GL. It's really unclear.

• Supporters
Section 38 defines a "realistic imitation firearm" as "an imitation firearm which has an appearance that is so realistic as to make it indistinguishable, for all practical purposes, from a real firearm". As a result of "real firearm" (defined in s38(7)) imitations of pre-1870 firearms are not caught by the new offence.

Whether an imitation firearm falls within the definition of a realistic imitation firearm should be judged from the perspective of how it looks at the point of manufacture, import or sale and not how it might be appear if it were being misused. Section 38(3) provides that in determining whether an imitation firearm is distinguisable from a real firearm, its size, shape and principal colour must be taken into account.

The law also applies to moscart mini launchers, M203's in any state & flare gun style launchers.

/Thread.

• AF-UK Founding Member
The law also applies to moscart mini launchers, M203's in any state & flare gun style launchers.

/Thread.

That's if you class launchers as firearms. It's too dubious - hence I say contact various shops.

Best of luck to anyone who would try and hold up a shop with a real grenade launcher, and that's assuming they could get hold of one! :lol:

• Supporters
"an imitation firearm which has an appearance that is so realistic as to make it indistinguishable, for all practical purposes, from a real firearm"

looks just like the real thing dont see how it cant be an RIF :P

besides if companies are asking for UKARA / offering 2 tone you already answered yourself :S

• AF-UK Founding Member

I just see it that:

a: It isn't a rifle

b: It's launching a grenade

c: Grenades aren't classed as RIF's

If something which does b: is classed as a RIF, god help us because those without a defence will have to start two-toning their arms to show that the grenades they're throwing aren't real. Stupid example, yes, but you get the point.

• Supporters

a: its a firearm (if you go by A pistols wouldn't be RIF's would they?)

b: it launches grenades, it still shoots doesn't it (Fire arm)

c: correct they aren't nor are BB's or magazines doesnt matter were on about the Launcher, just like pyros are classed as fireworks.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Correct, but it's still classed as an accessory on many websites, to which the VCRA does supposedly not affect.

I'm not swaying either way, I just think it is incredibly unclear. The act doesn't specify it's description of a RIF well enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm - Doesn't say anything about launchers.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Indeed I've seen plenty around too, although I'm still unsure.

Take some paint ball guns:

http://www.lpspaintball.biz/acatalog/BT_Pa...ll_Markers.html

I'd deem those RIF until closer inspection hence can only assume they are void due to their calibre, either way as has been said, contact where you want to buy from.

In the case of the S-Thunder I'd say it could be seen as a pistol 'until closer inspection' so I would say you'd need a defence for it, but personally still cannot understand the legislation for other launchers.

• Supporters

No governing bodies regarding paint ball and its something many airsofters have even asked the government about with no clear answer.

But this is about GL's so can we say its an RIF?

IF he was wanting to buy one he would need to provide defence anyway which in my books is an RIF.

That thing is i havnt heard of some teenager going out and buying a reolistic looking paintball gun to use to hold up the local corner shop.... However that same carnt be said with airsoft guns.....

• AF-UK Founding Member
No governing bodies regarding paint ball and its something many airsofters have even asked the government about with no clear answer.

But this is about GL's so can we say its an RIF?

IF he was wanting to buy one he would need to provide defence anyway which in my books is an RIF.

The VCRA covers all firearms not just airsoft hence the whole governing bodies thing is irrelevant.

Jersey, this is true, but the same can't be said for air rifles/pistols etc, which you would assume come under the same laws as they meet the descriptions in the act in my opinion.

Since many, but not all retailers ask for defence, to be on the safe side we should assume that a defence is required. If you attempt to purchase and do not provide a defence and the retailer requires it, your transaction will be refused anyway.

Since we cannot access a clear definition from the VCRA, or a body such as the UKARA, I'm closing this on the basis that we cannot give a certain answer and it will be down to where you buy from what happens (as stated above).

Archived