Cleaning plate carrier

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Going to be a pain and ask for a photo of the plate carrier, I may have a simple way you can do it.. There is a proper way, but it's expensive, I use the same technique to remove the smell from car fabrics.

A photo and a list of the materials it's made of will help us help you.

This is from a Web page I found a while ago when I had a similar question:

Wash your gear in warm (not hot!) soapy water using a mild detergent (the US military recommends using NSN 7930-00-929-1221) such as a liquid dish soap or a small amount of liquid laundry detergent (avoid detergents with color brighteners). Immerse the gear completely and let it soak for a few minutes. Then, gently work the fabric back and forth to help loosen dirt trapped in the fabric.

For stubborn stains or where soil has been ground into the fabric, use a soft bristled brush such as a toothbrush to gently scrub. Never use stiff brushes, abrasives, bleach or solvents as they will cause discoloration and damage to the fabric and plastics.

Rinse your gear in clean water. Make sure to thoroughly and completely get all of the soap out.

Push the fabric back into its original shape, and set it out to dry in the shade.

NEVER DRY YOUR MOLLE GEAR IN A HEATED DRYER! Hang it out in the shade, not in the sun. Drying it in the sun can cause it to fade and shrink. Exposing your MOLLE gear to the tumbling of a dryer wears it out faster, and the heat can shrink it. For the same reason, do not use a washing machine as the agitator will cause unnecessary wear and tear. Always air dry your gear, don’t use heat to speed up the drying process.

Source:

http://infidelbodyarmor.com/cleaning-your-plate-carrier-and-molle-gear-ezp-39

• Supporters

It's not dirty, it's just the smell. You want something that foams and lifts the "smell" out of the fabric it's self. I use an upholstery cleaner that foams.. Spray it on, let it foam for a few minutes and then wipe with a hot damp microfibre cloth.  

It just doesn't work with some fabrics hence why I asked what it's made from.

• Head Moderator

I would place the plate carrier into a fabric bag or pillow case to give it some protection in the washing machine on cold wash cycle with small amount of detergent.  Add a cup of white vinegar (not malt vinegar used for fish and chips) because the vinegar is gently acidic and will help break down the smoke molecules causing the smell.  As suggested above simply air dry the plate carrier.  Any smell of vinegar will dissipate.

Alternately, do not use the washing machine but a bath/shower/bucket to fully soak the plate carrier and add detergent and white vinegar. You can just agitate / rub the material.

If the plate carrier is not washable then put it into a bin bag and add a tin of baking soda and leave for a few days, then remove it and shake off the powder outside.

• Supporters

IMHO, washing machine is a really terrible idea.  I say this because I've been in 10 years now and seen literally more washing machines than I can even count at bases across the land with enormous "Out of Order - Some idiot washed their PLCE/Body Armour inside" signs slapped on them.  Maybe with a really light, totally empty PC that's carefully padded the machine would come out ok.  But I wouldn't personally risk it when a bucket, some water and cleaning fluids cost sweet fa.

• Supporters

Febreze the f*ck out of it.

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Febreze the f*ck out of it.

Summer Meadow fragrance so you not only visual cammo, but you smell the the real thing :)

Archived