Obtaining a RIF from ehobbyasia or Gun-fire -- Support Needed!

FruitSlotMarket
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi there, 

I am interested in obtaining a RIF from abroad but having looked through the forum, i am struggling to find a confident answer in what i want to know ... 

I want to know the full process at which you can purchase one from these websites, regarding the following:

1) Making the purchase on the website - where and how you let them know about your UKARA. 
2) The delivery process of receiving the RIF - e.g. when it reaches customs, taxing etc ... (this is my major concern and i need confidence in this area). 
3) The legal understanding of purchasing a RIF from abroad - i have been researching as much as i can, looking from the basics to the government law side of things. Yet most of it seems to be heavily ambiguous and follows a more 'scenario' basis when i just want to know the facts and how to avoid issues. 

I have tried to avoid joining this forum, but it seems i am all out of options. 

I look forward to your replies,

Thanks, 

FruitSlotMarket

21 minutes ago, FruitSlotMarket said:

Hi there, 

I am interested in obtaining a RIF from abroad but having looked through the forum, i am struggling to find a confident answer in what i want to know ... 

I want to know the full process at which you can purchase one from these websites, regarding the following:

1) Making the purchase on the website - where and how you let them know about your UKARA. 
2) The delivery process of receiving the RIF - e.g. when it reaches customs, taxing etc ... (this is my major concern and i need confidence in this area). 
3) The legal understanding of purchasing a RIF from abroad - i have been researching as much as i can, looking from the basics to the government law side of things. Yet most of it seems to be heavily ambiguous and follows a more 'scenario' basis when i just want to know the facts and how to avoid issues. 

I have tried to avoid joining this forum, but it seems i am all out of options. 

I look forward to your replies,

Thanks, 

FruitSlotMarket

1) As an overseas retailer they don't really care about UKARA.  You as buyer are responsible for what you import.

But when you go through the purchase process you can do things such as adding your UKARA information and contact details to any 'special instructions' free text,  in a line of your address etc.

That way it will be on the label or enclosed paperwork which could speed things up through customs

2) on arrival in the UK all mail goes through a handling depot.  It may get random custom checks for drugs and other illegal or controlled items, but will probably only get handled by the carrier staff and through X-rays etc.  

Based on the label declaration, source location etc they will identify it as airsoft, not neceasarily opening it.  If enough UKARA information is there they may check directly, otherwise you get a form in the post.  If your email address and/or mobile number are there they may use those to contact you.  If the package tracking is good you may be able to track down that it's sat in customs handling allowing you to pass the required information on

If there is import vat / import duty to pay then you also get the bill, and could also get the information through tracking 

They can value the item in a number of ways, the default is the sale price on the enclosed invoice (excluding postage) but they can disregard that and base it on UK retail 

Assume that you will have to pay 20% of the cost, plus £8 to £20 on top as a fee

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-value-your-imports-for-customs-duty-and-trade-statistics

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Once they are happy it's legal, your VCRA Defence as a skirmisher is established, and any costs are paid then it's released.  You may be able to opt to turning up at a depot to pay and collect or it gets released and sent on to your address

3) As long as it's UK legal and within power levels, you are old enough to buy etc,  a two tone IF has no special restrictions and a RIF needs a VCRA defence

• Supporters

That's really well written info.

One thing to add: gunfire is in the EU so no additional costs for customs, but the UKARA info still applies. Ehobby is Hong Kong.

1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

1) As an overseas retailer they don't really care about UKARA.  You as buyer are responsible for what you import.

But when you go through the purchase process you can do things such as adding your UKARA information and contact details to any 'special instructions' free text,  in a line of your address etc.

That way it will be on the label or enclosed paperwork which could speed things up through customs

2) on arrival in the UK all mail goes through a handling depot.  It may get random custom checks for drugs and other illegal or controlled items, but will probably only get handled by the carrier staff and through X-rays etc.  

Based on the label declaration, source location etc they will identify it as airsoft, not neceasarily opening it.  If enough UKARA information is there they may check directly, otherwise you get a form in the post.  If your email address and/or mobile number are there they may use those to contact you.  If the package tracking is good you may be able to track down that it's sat in customs handling allowing you to pass the required information on

If there is import vat / import duty to pay then you also get the bill, and could also get the information through tracking 

They can value the item in a number of ways, the default is the sale price on the enclosed invoice (excluding postage) but they can disregard that and base it on UK retail 

Assume that you will have to pay 20% of the cost, plus £8 to £20 on top as a fee

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-value-your-imports-for-customs-duty-and-trade-statistics

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Once they are happy it's legal, your VCRA Defence as a skirmisher is established, and any costs are paid then it's released.  You may be able to opt to turning up at a depot to pay and collect or it gets released and sent on to your address

3) As long as it's UK legal and within power levels, you are old enough to buy etc,  a two tone IF has no special restrictions and a RIF needs a VCRA defence

33 minutes ago, Samurai said:

That's really well written info.

One thing to add: gunfire is in the EU so no additional costs for customs, but the UKARA info still applies. Ehobby is Hong Kong.

Thank you both for your quick replies, 

Do you both have first hand experience with this at all? and so when it comes to gunfire, there will still be a TAX? 

• Root Admin

This is somewhat established knowledge at this point - especially for larger Asian retailers that sell a lot to European/British buyers (they are well set up for accommodating such things). I've not personally ordered from eHobby for large stuff as their shipping is a bit of a joke, but certainly others that dispatch from HK. All they need to do is - as Tommikka said - put your UKARA number somewhere clearly visible and ensure the shipping address lines up with the one registered to your UKARA number. You may be liable for import duty as well as VAT if the order amount is significantly high, but the tax code for airsoft stuff isn't something I know. I don't believe it's charged before a fairly significant amount, however.

Gunfire wont get a import duty and VAT as it's dispatched from within the EU (Poland).

• Supporters
51 minutes ago, FruitSlotMarket said:

and so when it comes to gunfire, there will still be a TAX? 

From gunfire there are no additional costs. What you pay them is what you pay, period.

1 hour ago, FruitSlotMarket said:

Thank you both for your quick replies, 

Do you both have first hand experience with this at all? and so when it comes to gunfire, there will still be a TAX? 

I haven't imported anything that could be construed a RIF since the early days of the VCRA, but have imported a quite few things from Asia the US and Europe.

Where possible support UK businesses to ensure they are still there in the future, and try to only import things that are special

Until BREXIT takes effect there are no tax implications within Europe.  It's tax paid locally as applicable and crosses the internal European boundaries under free trade.  With Gunfire in Poland you pay the price on the website.

Post BREXIT it will be the same as importing from anywhere else in the world unless there are special trade agreements put in place

16 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

I haven't imported anything that could be construed a RIF since the early days of the VCRA, but have imported a quite few things from Asia the US and Europe.

Where possible support UK businesses to ensure they are still there in the future, and try to only import things that are special

Until BREXIT takes effect there are no tax implications within Europe.  It's tax paid locally as applicable and crosses the internal European boundaries under free trade.  With Gunfire in Poland you pay the price on the website.

Post BREXIT it will be the same as importing from anywhere else in the world unless there are special trade agreements put in place

They are special, or sometimes it might be the case that UK retailers do you have said RIF's in stock which is really annoying. 

I just remembered about the FPS limit here - if i purchase a RIF that is above the 370fps, will it be an issue for me? Would it work in the sense of purchasing the gun, then having it downgraded locally here?Thanks

4 hours ago, FruitSlotMarket said:

I just remembered about the FPS limit here - if i purchase a RIF that is above the 370fps, will it be an issue for me? Would it work in the sense of purchasing the gun, then having it downgraded locally here?Thanks

No one knows. Check out UKAPU on FB and their site for up to date intel.

Hopefully there will be some warning if the border forces intend to test the power of airsoft guns.

• Supporters

I know im late to the party here but let me give my two cents for ordering RIFs and other things from them.

When you order anything from Ehobbyasia be it parts, clothes or a RIF then i think its in step 5 or 6 that you have to request that they put the UKARA no on the box, they even mention during the checking out process in small print that if you live in the UK they need your UKARA no.

Once paid they will process your order and ship it, it you have asked for express shipping they will normally dispatch in 1 or 2 days, if you have asked for non express then they ship every Friday. RIFs or particularly high value orders will only give you the option to ship it via express. Their shipping is normally handled by HK Post: http://www.hongkongpost.hk/en/home/index.html and they always provide a tracking no.

When the item arrives in the UK one of two things will happen.

Irrespective if its normal or express shipping it will pass through customs.

If the stated value of the goods is higher than about £80 (i think but dont quote me on this) then the package is immediately handed to Royal Mail who will treat and deliver it as a normal parcel.

If the value of the goods is much higher (such as an APS CAM870 Salient Shotgun like i got) then the item first goes to Coventry where its assessed by HMRC, customs charges are raised, then revised before being released and handed over to Parcel Force. Parcel Force will then have it sent to the National Hub to be sorted and sent to your nearest depot. Once it arrives to your nearest depot a letter will be sent to your home address asking you to pay the charges, once the charges are paid they will deliver. Alternatively you can attend the depot in person, show ID, pay the charges and get the parcel released to you.

Ehobbyasia are not a dodgy HK company, they will state the exact price you paid for your goods and will declare it as sporting goods, if UKARA is required they will affix a large A4 sized sheet with your UKARA no clearly displayed in a clear plastic envelope.

HMRC VAT, Duty and Parcel Forces Handling charges will vary based on what you have bought and for how much, Parcel Force has a flat £8 whilst VAT is charged at 20% and Airsoft goods i think the Duty is 12.5%, these percentages are calculated on the value of the goods including cost of shipping.

In my example i bought an APS CAM 870 Salient Arms shotgun originally worth $500, got 30% ($150) off so the final value of the gun was $350, cost of shipping was $91 for a total of $441, the shotgun was shipped and i was charged £107 for HMRC VAT, Duty and Parcel Force Handling fees. It took exactly a week from shipping from Ehobby Asia to me collecting it, bare in mind it can be slower but a week is about average.

9 minutes ago, Shizbazki said:

-quotecut-

That is exactly what i wanted to know, much appreciated and thank you. 

Duty is 3.2%.  Tax code is 9304000000.  Remember you pay tax on the shipping as well and if going via Parcel Force subject to their £13.50 fee.  Smaller packages less chance of being taxed etc. Last RIF I ordered came in via TNT, they were really on the ball.  I had no UKARA number but site membership, they contacted me asked for defence, gave them the email of the site, name checked.  Not quite sure what is happening at the moment with problems with the UKARA database, still says - "27/04/17:    Due to ongoing technical issues with a system restructure."

"I have tried to avoid joining this forum, but it seems i am all out of options." - Not sure quite how to take that :-)

I would absolutely suggest buying from Gun Fire or Taiwan Gun in Poland.

Great bunch of lads, Poland to UK within 8 days (sometimes quicker) and prices that beat or match HK retailers (especially if you get hit at Customs...which you almost certainly will).

Plus, easier and cheaper to return or deal with a problem that sending stuff to and from Asia, I'd wager too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2017 at 11:19 AM, ak2m4 said:

"I have tried to avoid joining this forum, but it seems i am all out of options." - Not sure quite how to take that :-)

I was implying how i wanted to find my answer elsewhere; didn't want to join a forum just to ask a question you see! :wacko:

In the end i come back to the forum to see whats new so its all good. 

Archived