Favourite game types - not the standard

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So asides from TDM or CTF etc what interesting game types have you enjoyed playing? 

I have written a game type, that I'm sure is a variation of other game, let me know your (honest) thoughts. 

sorry for the wall of text.

Run on the bank.

·         X amount of gold bars (Yellow armbands or something similar) in a central position (Central Bank) on the game zone.

·         Teams have to transport as many gold bars to their own bank within the game’s time limit.

·         The team with the most gold bars at the end of the game wins.

Game Rules

·         A teams spawnpoint will be located no less than 20 metres from their own bank.

·         Players can only carry one gold bar at a time. –TOO HEAVY!

·         Players can’t camp in the central bank (Distance will be clarified before the game)

·         If a player is hit while carrying a bar, they must drop it. – Anyone may pick it up.

·         Players may steal gold bars from the other team’s bank.

·         Time limit to be set on the day.

Player Rules

·         Unlimited lives

·         Players respawn when the number of dead players totals 5.

• Supporters

It's harder to create good game scenarios than one thinks. It's a good base but on the first try the players will find a way to screw it up.

Don't make them drop the bar when they are hit. Those will not be found ever again.

Players will only move on their half of the field. They go to the center, grab a bar, and run back. There is no contact, especially if the center is weapons free / can't be occupied. It must be designed that their paths cross. The dropoff point should be on the enemy's side. Or do as RIFT does their gold bar transporting game: pick up a bar on their side and move it to one of the 3 banks in the middle. A bank can only hold 1/3rd of the bars but can be occupied. Their gold bars are pieces of wood painted gold.

Also, design the game that it can be played until you stop it. Players will for example grab a bar, rush it to the dropoff and end the game in 2 minutes. For example only give them a gold bar every 5 minutes.

A nice addition would be to accommodate all kinds of player needs. It would be nice to have objectives for the defensive players, and sneaky players too.

As Samurai mentioned, RIFT have a game mode very similar to this that works well. The gold bars are scattered across five locations on the field and need to be returned to each teams the HQ (or bank). Some drops are relatively easy for the teams to get, others will be in contested zones that require the two teams to clash. If one team gains over half the gold (or all the gold is taken from the map), the teams still have the objective of taking the enemies HQ, so the game will always last the full 50 minutes. There's also the additional objective that before your team can gather any gold, it needs to secure a drop box from the field and bring it back to the HQ.

It's a very easy one to run and the rules are nice and simple. Everyone loves a bit of gold rush.

At my site its a very small cqb site and we play a very similar game gold money grab were blocks of wood with 'money' printed on the side are spread around randomly you have to collect more than the other team before the timer ends the there is also a 10 second respawn so last time i ran into their spawn when they were all dead and collected the cash and won the game ^.^ 

Variations can be the need to find the bars/money spread out around the field.

Possibly with multi-denomination / value.

You could have basic bars worth 1 point, enemy bars worth 2 points, friendly bars worth 1/2 point:

plain yellow / gold bar is the standard and could be anywhere

a bar with red tape is nearer to the red teams zone, and is worth less to the but worth more to the blues

etc

Or make the gold robbery part of a series of tasks:

Gold is held in a building, but locked in a vault.

You must gain access to start a timer, once held for a period you blow the vault and can access the gold, then you can start removing gold

e.g. You have to control the building for 5 minutes until you can start removing gold

the opposition try to push you out, or form up to harrass you when attempting to remove gold

Dropping props & prizes can be dependant on the item specifics.

Is it noticeable or important enough to be remembered and tracked down, or is it unimportant enough to remain lost in a bush for months?

I have run events where a bag of cash was thrown up a tree, luckily we had a tree surgeon to send up and retrieve it, and also a sports hold-all full of bags of cocaine (flour). The hold-all of cocaine was lost.  The event was held February and was later found at the start of the next shooting season in October

The bag was found by beaters and they were debating whether to keep it, sell it, or hand it to the police.  (I don't know what would happen if you snorted flour after 8 months in the undergrowth)

The farmer spotted them and took it saying he knew the owner.  

A compromise is to allow eliminated players to keep what they carry, but that doesn't encourage people to be sneaky / fast etc to take them back alive.

my local likes to mix it up with a variety of scenarios , some can get very tedious though in the sense that it feels like you need a flipping field manual to understand and remember it, especially with some of them requires at least half the team to work together and be in total communication, i would be happy to just play ctf lol...

I played a CQB site yesterday and came across one of my favourite games ever played.

they called it "Domination" but the game type itself didn't make it my favorite, it was the respawn rule that really made it interesting....

Rules:

-The game is played over two floors. Indoors, in a long rectangular building, with a respawn at each narrow end of the rectangle.

-In the middle of the rooms on both floors is a piece of wood - coloured red on 1 side, blue on the other.

-The game is timed, and when the game ends, it is either a draw (1-1), or a team has managed to get both the boards to be turned onto their colour.

-A halfway point in each room is identified and neither team can cross it (the wooden boards are right on the halfway point) - this stops camping the respawns, and keeps the fighting face-on.

-Respawn - unlimited lives, but when you die, you MUST respawn on the opposite floor - e.g. , dying on the second floor means you have to respawn on the first and vice versa.

This was such an interesting twist on the respawns because you went from one fighting scenario to another very quickly, the game was fast paced and easy to Marshall (and very well marshaled i might add)

My local site has a great warm up game. Virus.

Say there's 30 people playing, there's 3 Virus at the start. The 27 Non-Virus players get a couple minutes head start to go hide and set up a defence, and then the Virus are loose. 27 on 3 sounds pretty unfair? Not for long.

If the Virus hit anybody, or a non-virus is Teamkilled, they become Virus. Very quickly it becomes 25 on 5, 20 on 10 and soon, 10 on 20 and eventually one lone individual who has not yet succumbed to the virus. But they get hunted down pretty quickly. There are no winners, merely people who have got their hearts pumping a bit and their muscles working.

13 hours ago, Paltala said:

Say there's 30 people playing, there's 3 Virus at the start. The 27 Non-Virus players get a couple minutes head start to go hide and set up a defence, and then the Virus are loose. 27 on 3 sounds pretty unfair? Not for long.

If the Virus hit anybody, or a non-virus is Teamkilled, they become Virus. Very quickly it becomes 25 on 5, 20 on 10 and soon, 10 on 20 and eventually one lone individual who has not yet succumbed to the virus. But they get hunted down pretty quickly. There are no winners, merely people who have got their hearts pumping a bit and their muscles working.

That's a cool warm up game!

14 hours ago, Paltala said:

I've played a similar game where it starts with two teams. One team is given 3 areas to defend and the other attacks them. Each defender that gets hit goes to respawn and comes back as an attacker.

9 hours ago, callumbagshaw said:

That's a cool warm up game!

If you're ever in the area, Trojan Airsoft in Stockport. Awesome CQB site in an old mill

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:30 AM, Samurai said:

It's harder to create good game scenarios than one thinks. It's a good base but on the first try the players will find a way to screw it up.

Don't make them drop the bar when they are hit. Those will not be found ever again.

Players will only move on their half of the field. They go to the center, grab a bar, and run back. There is no contact, especially if the center is weapons free / can't be occupied. It must be designed that their paths cross. The dropoff point should be on the enemy's side. Or do as RIFT does their gold bar transporting game: pick up a bar on their side and move it to one of the 3 banks in the middle. A bank can only hold 1/3rd of the bars but can be occupied. Their gold bars are pieces of wood painted gold.

Also, design the game that it can be played until you stop it. Players will for example grab a bar, rush it to the dropoff and end the game in 2 minutes. For example only give them a gold bar every 5 minutes.

A nice addition would be to accommodate all kinds of player needs. It would be nice to have objectives for the defensive players, and sneaky players too.

Thanks for the advice, do you have a link to the rules of RIFT's version?

I'll look at ways to not make the middle of field a quagmire. What would you suggest when you get hit with a bar, that you have to return it to the bank? The field we'll be playing has very defined boarders so It wouldn't be too much of an effort to find them if they were to be dropped all over the place.

Lots to think about to make a game not just the standard Attack/Defend.

Archived