Help I can't blink

Eatacake
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok so this may should stupid, but I'm looking to get in to airsoft, I know a couple of friends that go to a local site. 

But I can't wink or blink( keep one eye open and the other closed) which of course makes aiming near impossible. 

Of cousre learning to keep one eye closed would fix this problem but for me this is not that simple. 

Is is this a common problem? Or am I just a little wird. Secondly any one got any tips, tricks or ways to work around this problem? I was think taping up one eye of my goggles but would this not make moving harder. Any ideas would he great fully appreciated.

Get a red dot sight, problem solved.

Unless you have a problem you've not mentioned you've got it better than some of us, I have permanent double vision and cross dominance, I have to close my left eye to aim even with a red dot. It's so bad that I've switched to holding the gun in my left hand - while I still have double vision I can aim with my left eye without closing the right.

Can fix anything with duct tape ;)

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Eatacake said:

Nope I honestly can not code one eye and keep the other one open! What makes It very hard if not impossible for me to aim a gun.

I never close either eye when shooting.  You can absolutely aim with both eyes open. 

5 minutes ago, warlord said:

Can fix anything with duct tape ;)

Except stupid... you can't fix stupid. You can however immobilise it with duct tape and drop it down a hole.

Back to the OPs problem, use a red dot sight. You don't look through them, more sort of past them with both eyes open and let the sight superimpose the reticule on your vision.

34 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

Except stupid... you can't fix stupid. You can however immobilise it with duct tape and drop it down a hole.

Back to the OPs problem, use a red dot sight. You don't look through them, more sort of past them with both eyes open and let the sight superimpose the reticule on your vision.

This is actually a helpful post for me. Looking into a red dot, but never having used one I can't figure out how they work. With an iron sight you have two point to reference to aim through to get the direction. So I don't understand how a single red dot can give you the alignment. Or is the dot not visible unless you're square to the barrel?

9 minutes ago, PT247 said:

magic, they work with magic.... 

As in fairy magic, or that Harry Potter crap? Don't want to be running about having to yell out "expectarectum" to make it work ;)

16 minutes ago, PT247 said:

magic, they work with magic.... 

... and parallax, smoke and mirrors. Basically as long as you can see the reticule on the glass it's projected onto it's pretty much lined up down the axis of the barrel. They have adjustments for initial set up. As you move your u head relative to the sight the way the reticule is projected means it will appear to move to suit. This is only completely accurate at one range, but it's close enough everywhere else, and with a bit of practise you get your head in the right place so the reticule is in the middle of the glass eliminating parallax problems. Sounds harder than it is. Basically once it's adjusted, put the dot on the target and squeeze the rock and roll switch.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never aimed a gun with one eye closed. In airsoft, i've never aimed my gun to be honest, i just kind of look down the side of it, and gauge my shots by watching them fly, fire enough you're bound to hit something!

That said, a good shooter keeps both eyes open using a rifle scope, red dot or laser (dont bother with a laser in airsoft)

Fascinating that you can't close one eye though, is that a medical reason or just lack of muscle control?

• Supporters

As others have said this is not unusual.

Some people cannot close their right eye and leave the left eye open but can close the left eye and leave the right eye open and vice versa

Others cannot do either.

Nothing is wrong with them and it may be a raft of factors causing it.

I can normally close each eye independently of one another but last year I suffered from Bell's Palsy which causes partial paralysis of one side of the face, in this case my left side. I was unable to drink properly without holding my left lip up, only half my face would smile, i could not whilst and sometime slurred my speech and in relation to this unable to close my left eye independently. I could still feel on the left side just the muscles controlling the left had what i can only describe as shut down.

After about 2 to 3 months of steroids (which is whats prescribed by GPs and Drs for it) i began to regain most movement and now after about 8 months i have regained full movement as per before.

So yeah its not unusual.

Also to OP like others have said, get a red dot sight such as an EoTech (RS if you like but a clone will do) as these are designed for both eyes to be open when you aim.

Archived