How to make a two-tone AK look good?

lukeee.h
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm thinking of buying an ICS Aks 74 (basically a wooden/metal AK with folding metal stock). I don't have a UKARA licence so I would have to get it in two tone. Usually this wouldn't be a problem, but personally I think AKs look awful with both wooden and painted blue parts. If anyone could suggest any ways of making it look realistic or at least better I would really appreciate it. I was thinking something involving tape to cover up the painted parts. Don't really want to spray it black because that's technically breaking the law, and I don't want to risk it.

If you don't want to paint it then use tape to cover the bright bits  Or... 

1 wait for your membership to buy a black one.(what I would do)

2 repaint it , if you are an active airsofter then you have a defence to paint it.

You can't really make a two tone realistic as the whole point of it being two tone is to make it look leas realistic in the first place.

19 hours ago, lemon191 said:

If you don't want to paint it then use tape to cover the bright bits  Or... 

1 wait for your membership to buy a black one.(what I would do)

2 repaint it , if you are an active airsofter then you have a defence to paint it.

You can't really make a two tone realistic as the whole point of it being two tone is to make it look leas realistic in the first place.

Its this really....

The whole UKARA and the law thing pisses me off. Once you have the gun (UKARA or not, there are ways around it) its yours, manufacturing a RIF ie painting it, is fine if you have a defense. A room full of kit, regular days booked, a site which will vouch for you, these are all defenses. People get hung up on it all and please stop calling it a licence, this will do you no favours with some of the regulars on here ;) 

Who the heck will know your not allowed to paint your own gun! You have a list of others you own and your profile states you play so thats your defense.

21 hours ago, lukeee.h said:

I'm thinking of buying an ICS Aks 74 (basically a wooden/metal AK with folding metal stock). I don't have a UKARA licence so I would have to get it in two tone. Usually this wouldn't be a problem, but personally I think AKs look awful with both wooden and painted blue parts. If anyone could suggest any ways of making it look realistic or at least better I would really appreciate it. I was thinking something involving tape to cover up the painted parts. Don't really want to spray it black because that's technically breaking the law, and I don't want to risk it.

Is your lack of UKARA due to not playing enough to retain it, or not playing at UKARA venues?

Specific UKARA isn't a legal requirement, but the defence of the majority of retailers 

You may be able to buy without UKARA if you convince the retailer on your skirmisher status 

Paint it black.

No but seriously, you could put some paracord around the stock, and get a railed/polymer handguard - only have the painted handguard on when you're transporting it etc. That being said, my old 74M was two-tone green and it actually looked kinda nice!

8 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Is your lack of UKARA due to not playing enough to retain it, or not playing at UKARA venues?

Specific UKARA isn't a legal requirement, but the defence of the majority of retailers 

You may be able to buy without UKARA if you convince the retailer on your skirmisher status 

It's cuz I'm not 18 . I play pretty regular though

CAUTION: Using tape to conceal your two-tone can be construed as converting an imitation firearm into a realistic imitation firearm!

If I were you, I'd find someone to vinyl wrap it in a bright colour. Once you turn 18, providing you still have a valid defence, you can peel off the wrap to its original colouring.

9 hours ago, lukeee.h said:

As you are under 18 you can't purchase a two tone either

You can be gifted a two tone or a RIF

(You cannot pay an adult skirmisher to buy your two tone or RIF for you)

Either accept that if you want it then it will have to be a two tone, get your 'gifter' to  obtain a defence, or don't do it - wait.  If you aren't going to like it in two tone then don't get it.   

14 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

CAUTION: Using tape to conceal your two-tone can be construed as converting an imitation firearm into a realistic imitation firearm!

If I were you, I'd find someone to vinyl wrap it in a bright colour. Once you turn 18, providing you still have a valid defence, you can peel off the wrap to its original colouring.

And what would be the problem here? The dood literally just said he plays regularly:

14 hours ago, lukeee.h said:

I play pretty regular though

8 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

And what would be the problem here? The dood literally just said he plays regularly:

If I read correct, he's under 18

17 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

Right; so what's the problem?

No problem with an eligible adult to purchase either an IF or a RIF to gift to him

Underage under the VCRA so cannot be sold either an IF or RIF

My original understanding of the VCRA was that there was a specific offence of repainting a two tone into a RIF, and that differs from 'manufacturing a RIF' which an eligible person could do 

In practical terms, as a regular player, if he is mature and doesn't do the chavvy thing then no one 'in authority'  would ever know or care if he covered a 2 tone

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

No problem with an eligible adult to purchase either an IF or a RIF to gift to him

Underage under the VCRA so cannot be sold either an IF or RIF

My original understanding of the VCRA was that there was a specific offence of repainting a two tone into a RIF, and that differs from 'manufacturing a RIF' which an eligible person could do 

In practical terms, as a regular player, if he is mature and doesn't do the chavvy thing then no one 'in authority'  would ever know or care if he covered a 2 tone

Your original understanding is wrong, go and actually read the law. 

The question isn't on how he is obtaining said gun , that's for the shops to follow the relevant laws. But as someone said once you have the gun in your ownership it's legal for you to own and no one is going to check to see if it's been painted .

46 minutes ago, jcheeseright said:

Your original understanding is wrong, go and actually read the law. 

I did read it over 10 years ago

Looks like it's still there tonight, not specific on paint as the modification though - 'modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm', section 36 1b

Unless within the defences at section 37 - which don't include 'skirmishing'

There is however the skirmisher Defence in the additional Home Office allowance, which doesn't differentiate the Defence from the different section 36 elements 

As i said 'my original understanding', which along with some google finds of some airsoft sources against painting them, as opposed to temporarily wrapping on site, could be a subsequent change and the Defence now fully applies, or sites etc that disallowed use of repainted guns were just covering themselves 

IMG_0796.PNG

Actually we might be forgetting a more fundamental issue with this. If you're under 18, how are you planning on buying your AK in the first place, realistic or two tone?

7 hours ago, Tommikka said:

I did read it over 10 years ago

Looks like it's still there tonight, not specific on paint as the modification though - 'modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm', section 36 1b

Unless within the defences at section 37 - which don't include 'skirmishing'

There is however the skirmisher Defence in the additional Home Office allowance, which doesn't differentiate the Defence from the different section 36 elements 

As i said 'my original understanding', which along with some google finds of some airsoft sources against painting them, as opposed to temporarily wrapping on site, could be a subsequent change and the Defence now fully applies, or sites etc that disallowed use of repainted guns were just covering themselves 

IMG_0796.PNG

3 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

Actually we might be forgetting a more fundamental issue with this. If you're under 18, how are you planning on buying your AK in the first place, realistic or two tone?

In any case, even if @lukeee.h is not able to buy one, my point above, which seems to have flown over you guy's heads is that he has a defence to section 36(1)(a),(b)&(d) - we all saw him say it:

On 19/04/2017 at 9:42 PM, lukeee.h said:

I know you mean well, but your legally inapplicable warning here is not helpful mr.AshOnSnow. I hope I phrase this kindly, but if you're going to warn people about offence they might commit in the airsoft context at least have the decency to point out that they don't need to worry about the offence if the defences apply to them and furthermore perhaps in cases in which the offence materially does not apply actually state as much so as not to be a scaremongerer with bold red text.

On 19/04/2017 at 10:04 PM, AshOnSnow said:

Absolutely someone needed to point out to the OP that the offence exists, but bold red text when we already know he has a defence?! Is that really necessary?

On 19/04/2017 at 10:04 PM, AshOnSnow said:

Musing over this, I can't understand the meaning at all. Ownership of a RIF does not require a defence, so why convert it to two-tone until he is 18?. And if he managed to buy it, contravening FA68 S.24A it wouldn't matter if he smashed it to bits. The offence is buying, not buying and keeping.

His defence to VCRA 36(1)(a),(b)&(d) applies while he is under 18 - but it doesn't apply to s.24A which has it's own defences which are applicable only to the seller.

For what it's worth, a while back I went to my usual site with a two tone G36c in blue. My friend had an m4 also in two tone, but he had covered the blue parts with black electrical tape, in a way that you could tell was covered but covered enough so that the gun wouldn't be seen from a mile away. Nobody at the site batted an eyelid, even when an official saw the gun up close when it was being chronographed. Does this mean it's perfectly legal to cover it, or just that his site is lenient when it comes to the law?

I'm no expert, but surely if you turn up at an airsoft site and play a game and convert your IF to a RIF with tape, your defence is that you're actually playing airsoft. The number of times you play isn't a defence, just a guideline for the retailers to protect themselves.

In another post an under age person may have made made an admission to having bought an airsoft gun via an intermediary which puts them at odds with the law.

Being under 18 you are not permitted to purchase an airsoft gun, although you are permitted to be in ownership of one provided that it was a gift from someone who is permitted to purchase.

Once an airsoft gun is in your possession there is nothing preventing you from changing it's status from two tone to RIF, provided you have a valid defense which is in this case that you skirmish regularly and can prove it.

Archived