Upgrading an ICS CXP-16 L

Adam S
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi there

As the title says i'm looking to upgrade my CXP-16 as i'm starting to get seriously into airsoft. Last Chrono'd it was shooting around 280 on .2s (with a 1600mAh 9.6V nunchuck battery) which is pretty pathetic and i've just noticed upon closer inspection on the ICS website that imports into the U.K get automatically downgraded to get beneath the 350fps legal limit..... probably should've checked that pre-purchase. They did this by instead installing a M100 spring (instead of an M120) and an Infinite 2500 Motor (instead of a Turbo 3000). Given this, does it mean that if i were to upgrade the motor/spring I wouldn't have to get better gears, spring guides etc since the ones inside are already designed to work with a better spring/motor?

Anyway, i'd like to upgrade it both internally and externally to get as close to 350fps as possible while also increasing range. I don't mind about increasing ROF as it's already quite high (don't have a specific number but it's faster than any other stock AEG i've seen)

What internals would you guys suggest getting (I don't really have a budget as i'll be running this as my main for quite some time), bearing in mind that it has a split-gearbox design (would this affect compatibility with different internals?). 

From what i'd gathered key things to get are:

a 6.03 Tightbore barrel

a better spring and motor (if i get an M120 will it likely be too powerful and go over the 350fps limit?)

better hop-up

metal bushings? (how do I know if I already have these since i'm not yet comfortable taking apart the gearbox)

A large problem is that I can't for the life of me find a concise part list of what's already inside it (as shown by my not noticing the downgraded internals) this means that a large number of the potential upgrades could already be stock (metal bushings/spring guide, piston head etc.)

Photos were too large to post here to uploaded them to Imgur - 

Ignore the two-tone..... I wasn't old enough to apply for UKARA until now so I had to make do......

What externals would be compatible with it? For example, i'd been looking into getting http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/Ares-Octarms-Tactical-Keymod-Rail-Handguard-12-Black_A21AFH.aspx#.WOpjrWnyuUk to replace the stock RIS/RAS kit and http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/ICS-MTR-ABS-Carbine-Stock-Black_A21GTU.aspx#.WOpj_WnyuUk to replace the current crane stock (currently where the battery resides so how would I go about rewiring it to accomodate the new stock?)

As you can tell i'm very new to teching so any tips/advice you can give would be really helpful.

Many Thanks

- Adam

• Supporters

If its only shooting 280 something is wrong with it. The Cxp 16 averages about 325 stock in the Uk with the m100 so yours has something off.

Externally do what ever you wish but internally all you need to do is change the spring to an m110 and change the hop bucking.  Change to a 7.4v lipo battery as well.

Hop up is good, gearbox is great, the motor is ok and so is the inner barrel.

When you change the bucking either use a TM or Lonex 50 both can be bought for 5 to 7 pound each.

If the gun is still firing low after spring and bucking change you have a bad seal somewhere.

Yeah i thought that might be the case, the site i play at do it for you if you hit over 350 when they chrono. One thing though is that i've spent the last hour looking and all of the M110 springs are out of stock... plenty of M120s but none of the above... guess i'll have to wait

1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

One thing I will point out is that the m110 might need a couple of coils removing. This is pretty easy to do and you can probably find a vid on line to help you out if need be.

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Adam S said:

Yeah i thought that might be the case, the site i play at do it for you if you hit over 350 when they chrono. One thing though is that i've spent the last hour looking and all of the M110 springs are out of stock... plenty of M120s but none of the above... guess i'll have to wait

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/guarder-aeg-tuneup-spring-sp110

I bought the same gun on Saturday after my trusty MP5 blew the front of it's gearbox off. I think mine maybe the newer version (ICS-238 CXP 16 L).

I'm currently firing at 280fps with .25's the shop I bought it from said they're about  309fps stock as the spring may actually be an m90? I'll try and confirm this today as my sector gear had a crack in it straight out of the box so I'm getting in contact with the local shop today.

Upgrade wise I've put in a SHS High Torque motor (nice snappy trigger response) and a Jefftron v2 mosfet for that 3 round burst goodness  and switched all connections over to deans.

I have problems with the bb's hooking at the moment but I've yet to check barrell/hopup bucking alignment though I'm leaning towards a tightbore upgrade (laylax or madbull) as I had recently thrown one into my MP5 and saw a vast improvement in accuracy. 

I'm running a 1200mah turnigy  7.4 lipo (25-50c) and got through two of these for a full days play.

Piston is plastic toothed but should be fine unless you want to upgrade to higher speed gears etc. Mine shoots fine as is and I racked up plenty of kills yesterday...Just need to sort out the accuracy! 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, slipperysquid said:

I bought the same gun on Saturday after my trusty MP5 blew the front of it's gearbox off. I think mine maybe the newer version (ICS-238 CXP 16 L).

I have problems with the bb's hooking at the moment but I've yet to check barrell/hopup bucking alignment though I'm leaning towards a tightbore upgrade (laylax or madbull)

No its just the metal bodied version.

Madbull barrel isnt an upgrade.

• 1 month later...

Ok, upgrades so far :D

Internally, new shs 12:1 gears nicely shimmed and a new ZCI spring guide.I haven't bothered replacing the piston,piston head or nozzle...I'll change if they wear out or break.

Also changed the barrel to a ZCI 6.02 stainless steel.

As previously stated I have the SHS high torque motor (18TPA) Jefftron V2 mossfet/trigger and G&G green hopup rubber.

Considering trying a flat hop (modify or maple leaf) or maybe going the full hog and R-hopping the barrel. Oh and spraying the thing? black is soooo 90's ;)

Archived