How to increase range in a sniper?

fin
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am going to buy a well L96 of a friend for £70 and after having a few shots it can roughly hit around 35m so is in range of most aegs. So what would be the most effective way to improve the range I am thinking of buying a m150 spring that should make it hit 500fps and to upgrading the hopup rubber is there anything else I should consider 

It'll make 500fps shortly before it destroys itself. Leave the spring alone and concentrate on air seal and the hop. I could type it all out again, but I'll just link it

http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/54-l96-rifles/25905-cheapskate-l96-tuning.html#post231865

Is it accurate? There'd be no point in having a superb range, with no useful accuracy.

Also, what FPS are you shooting at right now? With .2s?

Assuming you don't care about accuracy then, if you do want some range, jumping from 300 to 500 will give you range.

But it's not as simple as just chucking in a spring.

with higher power springs such as an m150 it causes more stress on the stock internals, such as the Spring guide, trigger Sears, and piston, so you'd need to get a 90 degree trigger set, and a 90 degree piston along with a metal (steel?) spring guide too. Then you'd probably end up upgrading the cylinder too...

as as for the bucking area, you can't just 'buy a bucking' like so. You need to know what type of barrel you have, and then pick a bucking, I use the maple leaf buckings, they get some very good reviews. Along with its counterpart nub. And then you might as well get an AA hop unit.

Also, heavier BBs too, use .36's or .4s, if you try and use .45s with a crap bucking you won't be able to lift them, and your range will decrease.

TL;DR

no, buying a 500 FPS spring will not satisfy yourself in the long run, and you will need to invest in other things in order to get something that shoots well.

As a start...

Clean and polish the barrel.

Flat hop the stock bucking and install an eraser nub.

Dental floss mod on the bucking to improve the air seal.

Shim the standard hop arm, make a new one or buy an aluminium one.

Homemade barrel spacers.

Improve the fit of the O ring on the piston head.

Clean up the standard spring guide.

Improve the shape of and polish the trigger sears.

Fit the outer barrel to the receiver using Teflon tape to eliminate any wobble.

Use decent ammo. 0.36g would be fine with the standard barrel /cylinder volume ratio, and the flat hop will lift them fine.

This should give you a rifle that'll hit a torso sized target at around 60-65m.

If you simply put a heavier spring in it you'll break the standard plastic trigger box despite the gun being fitted with a 90° trigger as standard, or pull the standard aluminium cylinder apart, or bust the stock plastic piston.

As standard the hop won't lift heavier ammo very well. The barrel actually isn't too bad.

12 hours ago, Mos said:

Is it accurate? There'd be no point in having a superb range, with no useful accuracy.

Also, what FPS are you shooting at right now? With .2s?

Assuming you don't care about accuracy then, if you do want some range, jumping from 300 to 500 will give you range.

But it's not as simple as just chucking in a spring.

with higher power springs such as an m150 it causes more stress on the stock internals, such as the Spring guide, trigger Sears, and piston, so you'd need to get a 90 degree trigger set, and a 90 degree piston along with a metal (steel?) spring guide too. Then you'd probably end up upgrading the cylinder too...

as as for the bucking area, you can't just 'buy a bucking' like so. You need to know what type of barrel you have, and then pick a bucking, I use the maple leaf buckings, they get some very good reviews. Along with its counterpart nub. And then you might as well get an AA hop unit.

Also, heavier BBs too, use .36's or .4s, if you try and use .45s with a crap bucking you won't be able to lift them, and your range will decrease.

TL;DR

no, buying a 500 FPS spring will not satisfy yourself in the long run, and you will need to invest in other things in order to get something that shoots well.

Where do I buy all these items

5 minutes ago, fin said:

Where do I buy all these items

Many different websites...

you will probably end up spending £200 atleast.

1 hour ago, Mos said:

Many different websites...

you will probably end up spending £200 atleast.

Just on parts or including the rifle? 

The only thing you need to spend to get this rifle shooting well is some time. If you want to get it shooting as well as possible then you'll be spending a load. But for now do the free mods, learn what makes the rifle tick, get familiar with working on it and develop the skills you need to properly tune it. If you just buy bits and think that simply fitting them will turn it into a 500fps monster that shoots laser beams, you are going to be very disappointed.

As a quick example, the first time I took my L96 out with my cheap skate tune it was out shooting the same rifle with around £250 of 'upgrades'. The young guy who had it refused to believe that the only custom parts in mine were a home made aluminium hop arm and a couple of quids worth of Teflon tape, masking tape and an O ring, plus some proper lubrication.

The best upgrade you can buy is decent ammo. ASG Blaster 0.36g are a good start.

3 hours ago, fin said:

Just on parts or including the rifle? 

On parts,

if you want to upgrade it like you said.

Wouldn't touch the spring as internals are plastic ( unless you up grade) but can cost more that the gun as Iv got a one myself and the sears would need doing. Just put a decent hop rubber and maybe a better barrel. fps isn't range at such it's just the speed / energy of the bb. It might giv you a tad more range but it's all about the hop up when trying to get better range hope this helps :)  

Archived