Importing airsoft guns

Shayleon123
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi im starting airsoft soon and i want to import a DMR from the US because the fps is a lot higher (550) than the legal uk fps somthing around 300-400 i cant remember so if i import an airsoft gun from the us with a higher fps than the uk fps limit will it still be considered as an airsoft gun or air rifle will i need a licence will customs seize it and which licence(s) do i need and can i order the same gun without a licence if it is painted two-tone and if not will the gun be adjusted so that the fps is within the uk limits Thanks for reading

To get any gun imported from any country you will need a licence or customs 'can' seize it. Meaning 'can' you get still have guns slip through customs even without a licence it's just luck. To get a gun imported it's preferable to a have your UKARA number printed on the box as customs can check it themselves, otherwise they'll have to call you for it. Regarding the FPS, it is fine. BUT YOU WILL need to downgrade it.

Hope this helps.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Parado said:

To get any gun imported from any country you will need a licence or customs 'can' seize it. Meaning 'can' you get still have guns slip through customs even without a licence it's just luck. To get a gun imported it's preferable to a have your UKARA number printed on the box as customs can check it themselves, otherwise they'll have to call you for it. Regarding the FPS, it is fine. BUT YOU WILL need to downgrade it.

Hope this helps.

Where do you get a licence from?

I am thinking of importing a gun and need to get mine.

Firstly read up on it: http://www.ukara.org.uk/

Summary of it, you get it at a local Airsoft site and you will of needed to have played 3 games in the past 2 months at the site.

Some advice, if it's your first gun don't go overseas.

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Parado said:

Firstly read up on it: http://www.ukara.org.uk/

Summary of it, you get it at a local Airsoft site and you will of needed to have played 3 games in the past 2 months at the site.

Some advice, if it's your first gun don't go overseas.

Okay thanks for the advice how much does the licence cost?

12 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Where do you get a licence from?

I am thinking of importing a gun and need to get mine.

It's not an actual licence.

To import a RIF you need one of the VCRA defences: For film / TV / theatrical production, a re-creation organisation or an Airsoft skirmisher

Without those you can still import a 2 tone, but the sender will need to paint it in approved colours 

The UKARA scheme is the main skirmishes scheme, to become registered you need to play at a participating site 3 times in at least 2 months

http://www.ukara.org.uk/player-registration.php

Technically speaking if the imported gun exceeds the legal power rating it could become a firearm - and you would need to convince the police to grant you a firearms certificate 

1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Okay thanks for the advice how much does the licence cost?

In itself it should not cost you anything - you will need to pay to play for the 3 games you attend & possibly pay to rent the equipment to play 

It is a licence but you don't really need it, it is only there to ensure the world knows you are a airsofter and is going to use the RIF for airsoft. I don't have a licence and I have guns, but you will for anything overseas as customs will need a valid defence, and a licence is a form of a defence.

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

In itself it should not cost you anything - you will need to pay to play for the 3 games you attend & possibly pay to rent the equipment to play 

Do you have to pass a test to get the licence like a driving test?

Or is it like a TV licence where you just have to give the goverment money.

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Parado said:

It is a licence but you don't really need it, it is only there to ensure the world knows you are a airsofter and is going to use the RIF for airsoft. I don't have a licence and I have guns, but you will for anything overseas as customs will need a valid defence, and a licence is a form of a defence.

I am getting really baffled now one said it's not a licence but you say it is?

Its all a bit confusing can anyone else help?

2 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

I am getting really baffled now one said it's not a licence but you say it is?

Its all a bit confusing can anyone else help?

There is no 'licence' for an airsoft RIF

Some people call the UKARA scheme a licence. It is not a licence, but a membership scheme of registered players to demonstrate that they are valid 'airsoft skirmishers'

http://www.ukara.org.uk/questions.php

Clarification of what UKARA is

We do not issue licenses or permits to buy or own Airsoft guns. None are required.

It is a bit confusing, all that matters is to get something imported you will need a defence. Either that being a licence for film reenactment (which is a licence) or UKARA (which still is, but is kinda unneeded if you are buying from a store in the UK - aka I go to a site where they have a store attached to them, at lunch I can go into the shop and just buy a gun. The defence here is that they Know I am an airsofter as I am playing during that day and will mostly likely use that new gun during that day.)

10 minutes ago, Parado said:

It's not a licence - customs will want the recipient to give evidence (or a statement) that they have a valid defence under the VCRA 

A valid UKARA reference that matches you on their membership database is what some people call an 'airsoft licence'

I have in fact imported airsoft equipment by filling in a customs database stating it is for use in paintball events, (a number of years ago though)

1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Let me get this right its not a licence but it is sort of?

There seems to be a bit of conflicting info going on. Its not this difficult when I play nerf wars you airsofters like to make things awkward for newcomers like me.

Newcomer that's been on the forum for 2 years making >3000 posts

Nerfs are fine under the VCRA as they don't look close enough to firearms, and if they did look like a firearm then they have bright 2 tone colours so would legally be an 'IF' imitation firearm and VCRA exempt, just like painting an airsoft gun in bright 2 tone colours

To import an airsoft gun painted in bright 2 tone colours there would be no issue

To import a RIF (realistic imitation firearm) would need a defence, for airsoft that would be reasonable proof of being an airsoft skirmisher.  The main scheme is the UKARA and customs will recognise that - not a licence but having your details on a central database as a result of playing at a participating site 3 times in at least 2 months, which enables you to go on the database for a year

11 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

There seems to be a bit of conflicting info going on. Its not this difficult when I play nerf wars you airsofters like to make things awkward for newcomers like me.

:D

8 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

No I blame the government for this.

11 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

It's not a licence - customs will want the recipient to give evidence (or a statement) that they have a valid defence under the VCRA 

A valid UKARA reference that matches you on their membership database is what some people call an 'airsoft licence'

I have in fact imported airsoft equipment by filling in a customs database stating it is for use in paintball events, (a number of years ago though)

You will these days, I have had a few imported in and so have a few friends and every time we've needed UKARA - and they don't like accepting other defence. Friends had a vector seized for not having a UKARA.

• Head Moderator
2 hours ago, Shayleon123 said:

Hi im starting airsoft soon and i want to import a DMR from the US because the fps is a lot higher (550) than the legal uk fps somthing around 300-400 i cant remember so if i import an airsoft gun from the us with a higher fps than the uk fps limit will it still be considered as an airsoft gun or air rifle will i need a licence will customs seize it and which licence(s) do i need and can i order the same gun without a licence if it is painted two-tone and if not will the gun be adjusted so that the fps is within the uk limits Thanks for reading

If your gun has fps that is higher than UK site limit then you cannot use it unless you downgrade it to meet the site limit.  Otherwise it is a "hot" gun.  So then you will have to spend more money, e.g. buying a new lower powered spring, to meet UK limits. 

You need valid defence to import and prove that you have legal right to the gun, which is where UKARA membership helps as an accepted defence.

TLDR; needs punctuation.

Jedi_Master thanks for the info i wasn't looking to play it on a site its just somthing to shoot with friends and just to own for fun so would i still be able to keep the power of the gun the same if i wasn't going to use it as a "hot" gun

What would the max effective range of an airsoft gun be if it is using the maximum fps of the uk ?

• Head Moderator
18 minutes ago, Shayleon123 said:

What would the max effective range of an airsoft gun be if it is using the maximum fps of the uk ?

500fps (single shot not automatic) is the max power for a sniper rifle.  A sniper rifle should have the best range and accuracy if correctly set up and zeroed.  Other range factors are weight of BB, wind, elevation, and stabilty.  So ball park range is 70m to 90m.

Type word "sniper" into search and then wade though results to find some more specific useful posts and information.

Archived