Camouflage weapons

ReySkywalker
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Seen plenty of camo'd weapons, not something I would do myself but I would be careful not to obscure sights and mag releases etc... Have a look through the Gun picture thread as there may be some in there if your wanting ideas!

Sometime I wrap my guns in self-adhesive tape, but it gets tricky around the magwell.

The idea of scrim is to break up the shape of a weapon. Shape is one of the reasons a person is seen, either their shape or the shape of the equipment they are carrying, ie rifle, helmet, webbing. Some of the scrim jobs I've seen out at my site look like they've wrapped the rifle to give as a Christmas present. It does assist with preventing shine, another example of why things are seen but there are much better ways of doing this than scrim. If you want to use scrim ensure that this breaks up the shape of the rifle, things like tape, paint ie cam jobs etc are much better ways of eliminating shine than scrim due to as someone said above obstruction of sights etc. 

Shape, shine and silhouette 

But if it was all about that then why do Army's have guns that look like guns and soldiers wear camouflage uniform rather than ghillie suits?

Form and function trump all of that.
Scrim up a gun and you add something to tangle yourself up in when moving, or risk catching a working part.
If you are ghillied up and play that style then appropriate scrim/ghillie on part of the gun will match

For non ghillied snipers British Army doctrine has only recently reinstated helmet scrim, weapons painting was approved a little while before to remove shine and the mismatch of bright green SA80 furniture in the environment they have been working.  That's not the pretty American or Call of Duty style perfect camouflage schemes, but rough and ready fast spray jobs (with careful instruction on what's to be protected from paint)

Roughly break things up, but don't rely on camouflage to make yourself 'invisible' but to break up the main form to give you the edge of an extra second or two 

Keep moving or keep still, depending on the right thing for the situation 

Just bought a few rolls off amazon - it only sticks to itself, so there's not gluey mess on your gun when you want to take it off. Kinda reusable, but you have to roll it back up neatly because once it creases it's hard to uncrease.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stealth-Camo-Tape-Woodland-Rifle-x/dp/B005RBY6S4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490657622&sr=8-1&keywords=camouflage+tape

29 minutes ago, ReySkywalker said:

Where'd you get that mate? 

Have a look around sports shops, country & vet / animal shops, eBay, amazon etc

There are lots of kinds of tapes around in camouflage or other patterns, from nasty sticky duct tapes, grip tapes such as hockey tape, non stick tapes that stick to themselves and are reusable  such as CamoForm branded or vet / horse cohesive bandage wrap

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.GIF

Archived