Let's talk lids.

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I'm looking at getting a helmet set up and just want some inspiration and pointers from those who have built up some more technical looking helmet set ups. 

I want a FAST helmet type thing, with an NVG mount for a GoPro, the option to add ear defenders for comms and some way to mount a battery pack on the back for the camera. 

I've seen set ups like this from countless people but when it comes to physically obtaining it for myself I don't really know where to start.

Which helmets allow for this? I know there are a lot of polymer style helmets, I know there's FAST, Crye Airframe... But are these just different names for the same thing, or what? I really have no idea.

Are the NVG mounts universal? Would I need anything else to get a camera on the helmet?

The ear pieces - do they come as a set that you remove from the C shaped bit that goes around your head? Or are there specific ear pieces sold for the helmets?

How would a battery pack be mounted on the back? I know some of the helmets come with velcro on the outside, but wouldn't have thought that'd hold something that heavy well enough? 

Any and all pointers would be appreciated here, folks. 
Feel free to post your own lids and give me a rundown, show off, whatever you feel. 

Links would also be appreciated so long as compatibility is outlined - wouldn't want to buy something thinking it'd fit and then finding out it doesn't. 

Cheers!

For the optimal placement of the camera (ie. not ending up with footage that looks like you're wearing stilts) You'll want something like the Brain Exploder NVG mount - https://www.shapeways.com/product/AST3GAQQ4/helmet-nvg-mount-for-gopro-cameras-hero-2-3-4 I know them to be very strong, as I've done a 6 ft fall headfirst direct onto it with no visible damage. 

Sorry for the crap orientation.

Mine is a Repro fast jump helmet in OD, with copious amounts of extra velcro.

Equipment on it - 

BExploder NVG Go Pro Mount

SJ4000 go pro china copy

ZTac Arc Rail Adapters 

ZTac Comtac 2's

HSGI NV Counterbalance Pouch & Anker Powercore 10400mAh (as mentioned in IG thing)

Heroshark meshed Revision Military Desert Locusts Repro 

Obviously as time and money allows, i'll slowly swap all of these for their real counterparts.

To be honest, i've probably got verging on too much sh*t on the helmet, but it's relatively balanced at the moment.

Likey the idea of this thread, played about with a fast style lid myself but prefer a cap as I feel like a spaceman. But there is a lack of decent info for all the various bits n bobs that go onto a helmet when I looked into all the bells n whistles you could have on them.

8 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Likey the idea of this thread, played about with a fast style lid myself but prefer a cap as I feel like a spaceman. But there is a lack of decent info for all the various bits n bobs that go onto a helmet when I looked into all the bells n whistles you could have on them.

With my height, a bump lid is kind of a necessity to avoid being hospitalised by running into or tripping over things, as either way, i've got a long way to fall.

• Moderators

i tend to wear one more at Urban than other sites due to possible head injuries....

Only thing on mine is a cover, although restricts air flow, rear weight holder and goggles.....holder to keep strap on lid really. Have recently attached those ear things but not sure i like the look of them tbh....

If you want a lid to attach stuff to, there are a few options. The main thing you'll need is ARC rails (that's what OpsCore call them, the original maker), these come with most (Crye) Airframe or (OpsCore) Fast helmets, arc rails can be attached to a Mich/ACH/ECH (all look the same) although if you want ear protection, it'll have to be a Mich/ACH/ECH 2001 and not a 2000 (full 'ears') or 2002 (half 'ears').

There are a few different types of OpsCore Fast helmet, the Bump (plastic) which includes a molded nvg mount, the Carbon, the Fast (ballistic rated) now called a 'Fast XP High Cut' and the Maritime (ballistic rated) now called 'Fast MT Super High Cut'.

Crye make the Airframe, the 2 part lid, this has less ARC rail space than a Fast series helmet.

Team Wendy make the EXFIL in plastic, carbon and ballistic rated material, this uses their own rail system, although there are adaptors floating about. It's certainly harder to go this route.

There are clones of all these helmets available.

For ear pro, there are Peltors and Sordins as the two major companies. Peltor make the adaptors that need to be bought separately to fit onto ARC rails, finding a stockist can be difficult outside of the US, I've ordered all mine from the US with no problems though.

Sordins and their rebrands need SARA adaptors to attach to the Peltor ARC rail adaptors, these are difficult to get due to being made in small runs in the US, and are expensive for what they are. They also require disassembly of the headset.

Again, all these parts (except the SARA adaptors, although there are clone ARC rail adaptors for Sordin style headset) are available as clones. I would not recommend clone headsets or ARC rail adaptors myself, however.

Crye Airframe style lids also require another adaptor for ARC rail adaptors to achieve a comfortable angle on the headset.

GoPro make a mount that fits a standard NVG mount, which is what you'll find on the above helmets.

If you wanted to carry batteries on the helmet, I'd use a counter weight or strobe pouch that just velcros on.

If you find some stuff you like, put up the links and I'll do my best to let you know if they'll fit together :)

Archived