New Site - Hertfordshire - Your thoughts required !

RussAFO
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I won't bore you with too much background as I will be here all night. Myself and my colleagues have experience in team building/corporate events. We are all either ex military or police and are all experienced airsofters and have played/been involved with many sites around the UK. 

We have the use of a extensive site, including a river, with crossing points, disused quarry and other interesting features. We have a covered admin area, with water and electricity and good parking. Excellent access routes to the site in East Hertfordshire.

We are very much aware of the gripes our community has in relation to gameplay. Hit taking, the lack of motivation of some players, the inability to play as a team, decent fast paced objective driven gameplay, trigger time, time wasting between breaks and so on. However, we also very much realise you can't please all of the people all of the time ! 

Our site has some logistical issues and in order to work around those we are trying to formulate a plan that will encourage people to come and try something a little different. 

In effect a MILSIM (Light)  

8 to 12 hours of objective driven play with no breaks.

A comprehensive backstory and scenarios written using the advice of a current trainer of SF/Police Counter Terrorism personnel. 

Props, actors and the potential to use vehicles.

Authentic Team opponents  - Teams consisting of 20 to 30 players split in to squads. Anything from 1 to 4 teams on the day depending on scenario.

Authentic briefing's/ equipment issue and accurate maps provided.

Licensed communications on private channels provided to each squad. 

Full use of pyros, smoke etc. 

Sensible respawns/medic rules with no huge waiting times to revive or trekking miles to respawn. 

You will be expected to carry the kit you need for the day, and there are NO facilities once in to the 'game zone" ( might be able to rustle up a brew ! )

We would like to appeal to those more experienced players that want to test themselves a little more in tactical based play, but don't want to spend 24 to 48 hours camping out in the cold with the wrong kit on a full scale milsim.  We would like to encourage team players who are happy to take orders and also those willing to take responsibility as squad leaders/ team commanders. ( Ideal for small airsoft teams who actually want to put their tactics to the test )  

We would really appreciate hearing your thoughts on this as we believe we can offer a really fun day out, but that little bit more testing than a regular skirmish. 

Many thanks for reading and over to you....

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters
11 hours ago, RussAFO said:

Sold.

For me Milsim light is gameplay, not props and because I'm quite poor, I can't afford most milsim events. I don't really care if there are armoured vehicles on site but they do add £20-30 to the price / person.

It should be mandatory to form squads. Medic rules should enforce it: dedicated squad medic, and in case of bleed out (10+ minutes), the whole quad goes to respawn. Chain of command with a side commander (possibly coordinating with the enemy side commander to manage good gameplay). Objective based gameplay.

From where I come from this is the standard game mode and it works really well. I would definitely welcome such a site.

6 minutes ago, Samurai said:

Sold.

For me Milsim light is gameplay, not props and because I'm quite poor, I can't afford most milsim events. I don't really care if there are armoured vehicles on site but they do add £20-30 to the price / person.

It should be mandatory to form squads. Medic rules should enforce it: dedicated squad medic, and in case of bleed out (10+ minutes), the whole quad goes to respawn. Chain of command with a side commander (possibly coordinating with the enemy side commander to manage good gameplay). Objective based gameplay.

From where I come from this is the standard game mode and it works really well. I would definitely welcome such a site.

Hi Samurai

I very much appreciate the comments. We are very much aware of cost, particularly in relation to the current economic climate, we will do our very best to make it value for money. 

I totally agree with your comments and that is exactly what we have in mind. Of course to be viable we need a solid customer base and lots of interest from right people within the community. Please spread the word for us ! 

Website will be published soon and its anticipated we could be live at the site in 5 to 6 weeks. 

Regards

Russ

12 hours ago, RussAFO said:

In effect a MILSIM (Light)  

A comprehensive backstory and scenarios written using the advice of a current trainer of SF/Police Counter Terrorism personnel. 

Props, actors and the potential to use vehicles.

Authentic Team opponents  - Teams consisting of 20 to 30 players split in to squads. Anything from 1 to 4 teams on the day depending on scenario.

Authentic briefing's/ equipment issue and accurate maps provided.

Licensed communications on private channels provided to each squad. 

Full use of pyros, smoke etc. 

Sensible respawns/medic rules with no huge waiting times to revive or trekking miles to respawn. 

Sounds good for me! always up for trying somewhere new and giving some constructive criticism if that's also what your after from this. I'm currently in the middle of doing something similar on a smaller scale I guess some would call a battlesim.

I for one am looking forward to more information on this and to see how it progresses.

I'll definitely be following this. Would make a nice change from skirmishes, I'm sure I've a few friends who would be up for giving it a try. Are you able to give us a rough idea on the location? Depending on where in East Herts it is, it could either be a quick nip down the motorway for me or an hour's drive through the country roads!

55 minutes ago, Greg147 said:

I'll definitely be following this. Would make a nice change from skirmishes, I'm sure I've a few friends who would be up for giving it a try. Are you able to give us a rough idea on the location? Depending on where in East Herts it is, it could either be a quick nip down the motorway for me or an hour's drive through the country roads!

Hi Greg 

The site is located directly off the A10 trunk road near Buntingford, Hertfordshire. ( SG9 9FB - This postcode is 5 mins from the site. ) Extremely easy access and the A10 is a decent road.

Many thanks for your interest.

Russ

35 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Me and a friend would be interested, although that is subject to price etc.

Hi Robert

We will keep the price as competitive and sensibly priced as we can. 

Cheers

Russ

26 minutes ago, RussAFO said:

Hi Robert

We will keep the price as competitive and sensibly priced as we can. 

Cheers

Russ

Thanks, this is not too far from me. 

I know we would definitely look into it more. Do you have news on when the website will be ready for viewing?

Furthermore, I hope this would take place on a Saturday :)

35 minutes ago, Andyraven said:

Any chance for a screenshot of the site from google earth? im intrigued on " disused quarry".

Hi Andy

Quarry can't be seen via google earth due to tree cover. Its an ancient quarry, its not huge, but makes an excellent area for gameplay. 

cheers

Russ

54 minutes ago, Andyraven said:

Any chance for a screenshot of the site from google earth? im intrigued on " disused quarry".

There is a quarry in that area, Anstey Quarry Co, Anstey, Buntingford SG9 0BU.

Definitely like the sound of this and I have driving further to play, do you have a view as to what you charge yet?

Also what sort timings what you be look run i.e. 7am meet 8am start etc?

A nice touch to get yourselves up and running, you could possibly do the 1st game free to all these who sign up as there nothing better than word of mouth if your site is run well and in the long run this would repay yourselves as you say you want a player base.

Not too far from me which is fantastic, price and time depending I have a group (4 or 5 of us) who would certainly be up for this! Id love something a bit more tactical and longer than a normal skirmish day!!

20 hours ago, asbo1991 said:

Definitely like the sound of this and I have driving further to play, do you have a view as to what you charge yet?

Also what sort timings what you be look run i.e. 7am meet 8am start etc?

In regard to cost and timings details below.

0800 start time, finish time between 1800 to 2000hrs. At least a 10 hour day. Expect trigger time all day.

( the potential of a 30 min break when game play allows for a brew ) 

Cost

£40 early booking

£45 on the day.

On the opening day all attending players will be given free membership to the site, which entitles them to discount on further games, plus pyros, ammo and other sundries. 

They will receive a pack of goodies, patches, membership cards/unique ID No., ammo and some other little items we know people will love. 

In relation to costing, Hertfordshire is a difficult area to procure the right sites and that also makes it more expensive for site rentals/deposits etc. ( We are currently in negotiation on 2 other sites ) 

We would like you to consider this.

A typical skirmish is £25 to £30 a day. Max 5 hours playing time, if the day runs smoothly = £5 to £6 an hour. 

Our day is £40. Playing time 10 to 12 hours. = £4 to £3.30 an hour. 

Please feel free to comment. 

Cheers

Russ

10 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

Not too far from me which is fantastic, price and time depending I have a group (4 or 5 of us) who would certainly be up for this! Id love something a bit more tactical and longer than a normal skirmish day!!

In regard to cost and timings details below.

0800 start time, finish time between 1800 to 2000hrs. At least a 10 hour day. Expect trigger time all day.

( the potential of a 30 min break when game play allows for a brew ) 

Cost

£40 early booking

£45 on the day.

On the opening day all attending players will be given free membership to the site, which entitles them to discount on further games, plus pyros, ammo and other sundries. 

They will receive a pack of goodies, patches, membership cards/unique ID No., ammo and some other little items we know people will love. 

In relation to costing, Hertfordshire is a difficult area to procure the right sites and that also makes it more expensive for site rentals/deposits etc. ( We are currently in negotiation on 2 other sites ) 

We would like you to consider this.

A typical skirmish is £25 to £30 a day. Max 5 hours playing time, if the day runs smoothly = £5 to £6 an hour. 

Our day is £40. Playing time 10 to 12 hours. = £4 to £3.30 an hour. 

Please feel free to comment. 

Cheers

Russ

21 hours ago, Robert James said:

There is a quarry in that area, Anstey Quarry Co, Anstey, Buntingford SG9 0BU.

It's not that site Robert. Its still in use as a quarry. 

2 minutes ago, RussAFO said:

That's the typical for a hire, not a walk-on, play time average in this area is about 7 hours, with longer in the summer months. £45 is half of what you'd pay for an event like AI500, which is usually on a considerably larger scale than you've mentioned.

1 minute ago, GiantKiwi said:

That's the typical for a hire, not a walk-on, play time average in this area is about 7 hours, with longer in the summer months. £45 is half of what you'd pay for an event like AI500, which is usually on a considerably larger scale than you've mentioned.

I can name around 5 Airsoft Skirmish Site operators within 1.5 hour drive from our location that charge the following:-

£25 walk on

£50 hire ( on average )

( Discounts for memberships) 

There are of course more expensive sites that use unique locations. 

Those sites start their gameplay between 10.00 and 10.30hrs and finish between 16:00/16:30 hrs. Take an hour break for lunch and breaks between games and our figures are correct.

I have just checked the current cost for a well established MILSIM Organiser for an event in April.

£60 to £70 depending on booking as a walk on. Add £20 to hire. For a 12 hour day. ( In fairness that may go longer depending on the site they are renting ) 

We are very aware that cost is important to the community and we are doing our best to keep costs down. 

Russ

Yeah your costs are accurate for the area, I pay between 25-35 quid a day and I go an hour to hour and a half from London. Not to say there are not cheaper sites. But £30 walk on for a day skirmish is about average for down here in my experience. 

I would pay 40/45 for this particular day. The only thing which puts me off is the fact it would mean an early start and a hell of a long day (being the driver) I dont fancy the travel back after a knackering day of skirmishing!

But im a lazy sod. If I could make the date I would be seriously interested in playing!!

4 minutes ago, Andyraven said:

How many players are you legally permited to be on the site at any given time/day?

Its gona be you me and a short arse :P

12 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Yeah your costs are accurate for the area, I pay between 25-35 quid a day and I go an hour to hour and a half from London. Not to say there are not cheaper sites. But £30 walk on for a day skirmish is about average for down here in my experience. 

I would pay 40/45 for this particular day. The only thing which puts me off is the fact it would mean an early start and a hell of a long day (being the driver) I dont fancy the travel back after a knackering day of skirmishing!

But im a lazy sod. If I could make the date I would be seriously interested in playing!!

We will do our best to accommodate lazy sods !

Appreciate your comments, in all seriousness if feedback dictates we could run from 10.00am in the summer months. 

Russ. 

Archived