Further 417 Upgrades

Demon
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So a while back i fitted the following

Prommy 509mm 6.03 TBB

Lonex A2 (Pinion broke but have been replaced, Was heating the handle up pretty badly when it was used. Haven't tested it recently)

Lonex M110

Mosfet

My 417 is physically locked to Semi and does about 425 FPS.

Looking at getting.

Any able to give me advice on what i should to upgrade / replace. 

2 hours ago, Samurai said:

In what area does it underperform?

Doesn't really underperform.

Mainly want to increase range & Accurary and a few others things.

Assuming that you're running standard gearing (18:1) then the fact you've broken a pinion and the motor is heating the grip would imply there is another problem in the gearbox. Either over tight /poor shimming, a binding piston, complete lack of lubrication or all three. I've got an A1 pulling an M110 on 18:1 gearing at 7.4v and it runs like a champ. 20rps and makes the grip a bit warm if you're rinsing it on full auto.

The HT motor on 32:1 gearing would pull a train and have a really slow cycle time.

26 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

Assuming that you're running standard gearing (18:1) then the fact you've broken a pinion and the motor is heating the grip would imply there is another problem in the gearbox. Either over tight /poor shimming, a binding piston, complete lack of lubrication or all three. I've got an A1 pulling an M110 on 18:1 gearing at 7.4v and it runs like a champ. 20rps and makes the grip a bit warm if you're rinsing it on full auto.

The HT motor on 32:1 gearing would pull a train and have a really slow cycle time.

Standard gear for now. Guess getting the new gears will force me open and have a look. Just tested a few dry fires. If i cycle in rapid succession to be pretty prominent.

This is physically locked to semi at the moment. Sometimes get a few jams but it's somewhat know with this gun if you physically lock it AFAIK.

If you've just replaced the motor without checking motor height and the mesh between the pinion and the bevel gear that may explain the broken pinion and potentially the motor over heating.

It's not as simple as just dropping new parts in. Change one thing and everything down the line can need adjustment to get them to pay nicely together. That motor with standard gearing on a decent 7.4v lipo should give decent trigger response without much over spin and pull that spring on semi without breaking a sweat.

Lock ups are usually because you're trying to spam the trigger too quickly. Let the gun complete it's cycle before you attempt to pull the trigger again.

7 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

If you've just replaced the motor without checking motor height and the mesh between the pinion and the bevel gear that may explain the broken pinion and potentially the motor over heating.

It's not as simple as just dropping new parts in. Change one thing and everything down the line can need adjustment to get them to pay nicely together. That motor with standard gearing on a decent 7.4v lipo should give decent trigger response without much over spin and pull that spring on semi without breaking a sweat.

Lock ups are usually because you're trying to spam the trigger too quickly. Let the gun complete it's cycle before you attempt to pull the trigger again.

So this is with the stock motor. I haven't put the A2 motor back in after fixing the pinion. Which would then assume the A2 f*cked a gear or something. Or could be something else. 

Yeah i'm somewhat trigger happy. Need to calm it down :P

As a rule a poorly adjusted motor height will destroy the motor pinion before it damages the bevel gear.

So you've put the standard motor back in. Is this overheating? And what battery are you using? If you're running a 110 spring was this installed by a shop or did you fit it?

The best solution to being trigger happy is to ditch the DMR idea, run 350fps and full auto and go be trigger happy. ;)

Just now, Hangtight said:

As a rule a poorly adjusted motor height will destroy the motor pinion before it damages the bevel gear.

So you've put the standard motor back in. Is this overheating? And what battery are you using? If you're running a 110 spring was this installed by a shop or did you fit it?

The best solution to being trigger happy is to ditch the DMR idea, run 350fps and full auto and go be trigger happy. ;)

Standard motor is heats the grip up yes. 7.4V battery.  M110 was installed by a friend.

I mean in theory i could do that. But i also like the other side of control and not being trigger happy. I'm an odd one :D 

OK, what I'd do...

Go and watch a lot of videos on shimming, angle of engagement adjustment, fitting the motor grip correctly to the gearbox and receiver... Anything and everything you can find to watch and read about doing proper Airsoft tech /upgrades.

Make sure you've got the right tools and materials  to do the job properly. This includes the appropriate dexterity and skill.

If you feel you are lacking in any of these areas then consider handing the gun and motor to a recognised tech and ask him to sort it out and do a proper set up in exchange for money. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

Archived