Airsoft FPS

sokar666
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Before i begin, this is not another fps to range/accuracy debate.  I'm just curious when chronoed at 350fps 0.20g bb how heavy people would go.  Are you happy with 0.25g or do you think 0.30g are good but to slow or vice versa.  Just really wondering on people's opinions.

Depends on the hop unit and the site.

Dense woodland If It'll lift a 0.3 then I'll take the speed drop in favour of some vegetation penetration. It'll only be 1-2 mid caps loaded like this, All my other mags would be 0.25. No 0.2's at all. Chances are at some point there will be a target in bushy cover that the 0.25's just can't get through to, Switching up and adjusting the hop for a few rounds can keep you moving forwards or stop you getting pinned.

More open sites I run 0.2's in a couple of high caps, and 0.25's in my mid caps. The mid caps are my bread and butter magazines for kills I'll only move onto the 0.2's when I'm either out of mid caps, or suppressing a push. There are a few sites I visit where 0.2's will never get to a target due to lots of small branches and scrub areas. On those sites everything is running 0.25 even the high caps.

CQB just 0.2's. You're going to shoot a lot, and most of the time cover is solid. So you may as well shoot the cheapest ammo you have.

Don't over think it. Find what weight your hop will reliably lift and use that. For me I stick to 0.28s as they go furthest with the best accuracy, and my wallet doesn't whince every time I pull the trigger. CQB then 0.25 as that's the heaviest they'll allow.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Iceni said:

Depends on the hop unit and the site.

Dense woodland If It'll lift a 0.3 then I'll take the speed drop in favour of some vegetation penetration. It'll only be 1-2 mid caps loaded like this, All my other mags would be 0.25. No 0.2's at all. Chances are at some point there will be a target in bushy cover that the 0.25's just can't get through to, Switching up and adjusting the hop for a few rounds can keep you moving forwards or stop you getting pinned.

More open sites I run 0.2's in a couple of high caps, and 0.25's in my mid caps. The mid caps are my bread and butter magazines for kills I'll only move onto the 0.2's when I'm either out of mid caps, or suppressing a push. There are a few sites I visit where 0.2's will never get to a target due to lots of small branches and scrub areas. On those sites everything is running 0.25 even the high caps.

CQB just 0.2's. You're going to shoot a lot, and most of the time cover is solid. So you may as well shoot the cheapest ammo you have.

Dont mix ammo weights like that because you need to have your hop set for which ever ammo weight you are using. Please don't give such crap advice to players.

To the op on 350fps 0.28 is generally a good choice. Fps will be about 300 which is fine and most hop set ups will lift it fine.

Must admit that at Skirmish Mansfield, I have always favoured .25's. Tried them once in my HK417 and never looked back. Put them through every other rifle and they suit me and my play style. This is the thing many people don't think about. Many people also just go with whats popular in the forums and what they hear from the many experts at every site they go to. .25's rule for me but there is a trend emerging for as heavy as .40's as per conversation had at site last weekend. Looking at the price increase from .20 to .40 it may not become as popular as some might think due to the price increase in BB's.

4 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Dont mix ammo weights like that because you need to have your hop set for which ever ammo weight you are using. Please don't give such crap advice to players.

That I'm afraid is your opinion. It's not mine, my opinion may differ from yours. It's why forums are fantastic because it's a place to debate different ideas. I don't mind been wrong, But If I give my opinion then it may wildly differ from yours. Please respect that.

Adjusting a hop mid game is something that should be automatic. You shouldn't even have to think about it for an AEG shooting white BB's. Been able to adapt and move that wheel to suit the ammo you have on the fly is an important part of the game. If you can't do it how will you cope when you rinse your mags in a long game and your team mate hands you one of their mags on different ammo. Or those times when a site simply doesn't sell 0.3's and you have to move to 0.25's.

I like to switch it about because I'm confident in watching where my shots are going. I'm not attempting to snipe, My guns are quiet enough that I can afford some time to adjust. I tend to engage at ranges that afford me time to do this. And I tend to have a team mate who isn't switching up offering suppressive fire to let me dial in. Likewise I may offer suppressive fire while they dial in.

At shorter ranges the hop doesn't have time to alter a shot significantly when switching about provided the ammo is close in weight, 0.2-0.25 or 0.25-0.3. You do the switch simply to beat soft cover. It's part of the tool box that is available mid skirmish, not to use it is to loose a key element that is available to you in game. Like everything it requires a little knowledge, and a little practice, And isn't a tool that everyone is going to use. The team I shoot with are pretty much all doing it because in the correct situation it offers an advantage on certain sites.

• Supporters

There is no reason to use light BBs. 0.28 or 0.30 are the best performing around 350fps (with 0.2).

Well, I can only think of one reason to use lighter: if you are a machine gunner and you need to spray an area, but your hopup is not bad enough to do that. Also, for a machine gunner with that many BBs shot, price might matter.

1 hour ago, Iceni said:

That I'm afraid is your opinion. It's not mine, my opinion may differ from yours. It's why forums are fantastic because it's a place to debate different ideas. I don't mind been wrong, But If I give my opinion then it may wildly differ from yours. Please respect that.

Adjusting a hop mid game is something that should be automatic. You shouldn't even have to think about it for an AEG shooting white BB's. Been able to adapt and move that wheel to suit the ammo you have on the fly is an important part of the game. If you can't do it how will you cope when you rinse your mags in a long game and your team mate hands you one of their mags on different ammo. Or those times when a site simply doesn't sell 0.3's and you have to move to 0.25's.

I like to switch it about because I'm confident in watching where my shots are going. I'm not attempting to snipe, My guns are quiet enough that I can afford some time to adjust. I tend to engage at ranges that afford me time to do this. And I tend to have a team mate who isn't switching up offering suppressive fire to let me dial in. Likewise I may offer suppressive fire while they dial in.

At shorter ranges the hop doesn't have time to alter a shot significantly when switching about provided the ammo is close in weight, 0.2-0.25 or 0.25-0.3. You do the switch simply to beat soft cover. It's part of the tool box that is available mid skirmish, not to use it is to loose a key element that is available to you in game. Like everything it requires a little knowledge, and a little practice, And isn't a tool that everyone is going to use. The team I shoot with are pretty much all doing it because in the correct situation it offers an advantage on certain sites.

Personal opinion yes, helpful to the OP no

You have no idea of his experience playing airsoft therefore telling him to mix weights is and adjust his hop on the fly not actually being helpful, he/she should find a weight he/she is comfortable with and set the hop from there.

personally I use .25 CQB and smaller outdoor fields for woodland and large skirmish's I use .28 or .3 and adjust the hop accordingly and then leave set for the day

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Iceni said:

Its not an opinion its bad advice plain and simple no one can adjust a hop properly on the fly. Which is why no good players do it they set their gun and leave it alone, the hop unit setting is the most important part of your gun set up on the day.

I honestly don't think I need your advice as I am positive that my knowledge out ways yours which is why people pay for mine.

Not to mention adjusting the hop incorrect is a quick way to hot gun town. Generally we set the hop to our primary ammo weight, chrono with 0.2 and all is fine, but when you change that hop to shoot 0.2 and fail to change it back your gun can become hot.

Its only really relevant if you're within 1% of the site limit when you chrono'd but it's still possible.

I'm seem to have caused a storm, not my intention so i apologise. I personally run 0.28/0.30g bb on my scorpion evo in woodland and 0.25g indoors for cqb.

I started the topic just to see a general consensus and as i expected there is as much variation in bb weights as there is within everything else in airsoft.

In regards to changing hop on the fly, if your comfortable with it then why not and tbf there are a few guns where the hop is numbered and so could make it much easier to change, not my thing personally but never shoot someone down just because they disagree with you.

5 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

but when you change that hop to shoot 0.2 and fail to change it back your gun can become hot

That would be a site issue.

I'm not talking about chronoing on 0.25's and claiming that there 0.2's. A decent site will make you chrono on their ammo. Any player that is breaking the rules in this way frankly deserves banning from the site, and banning from the Ukara database. Energy levels are there for safety and I'm very much pro safety.

The only time I know that moving ammo weights will increase energy output is with gas guns, And even then a decent site will force a gas gun users to chrono on the ammo weight they plan to use all day to make sure Joule creep doesn't happen.

6 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Which is why no good players do it they set their gun and leave it alone

I know a good portion of the players at my Ukara site do move weights as they play. Some do it if the wind picks up, if it starts to rain, Or simply for cover advantage like I do. Some will go back to the safe zone and re-adjust to perfection, others will just fire a few shots off on the longest run they can see and dial in. Perhaps it's just a strange site I play at It's on a hill side and there is no wind break from the prevailing wind, Or perhaps it's something that started by mistake and just took off I don't know. What I do know is in the correct situation it can be very useful so I will continue to do it.

Archived