How I'm understanding UKARA

Mike1971
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, sokar666 said:

on and off, wanted advise on getting back into it. used to live down south before moving back home in the north east and so was looking for fields, never actually went to northern alliance,

settled on nsc in newcastle.

i think i posted that when i registered to this site, so was basically just introducing myself, i didn't realise my choice of words or lack of would be an issue.  plus why am i even explaining myself, you don't wanna believe me, fine, i won't sleep any less tonight.

Well it doesn't read like that.

Did I touch a nerve?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 31/03/2017 at 4:50 PM, Andyraven said:

i never said it was superior and never claimed it was. all a was saying is you're spending more then you have to get on a Free Database just so the retailers don't get sued for selling RiFs to someone that commits a crime or hurts someone with it.

"UKARA is an association of UK Airsoft Retailers brought together to protect themselves from prosecution"

"some" retailers who are part of UKARA are using it to make extra profit with two-tone guns. (its a smart business plan and it would be foolish not to). But i don't agree it.

i also stated it would be nice if there was a organisation that worked like a UKARA but you paid annually, And it helped out the sport of Airsoft and the players. instead it helping out retailers.

this is all my own opinion as i said before.

i was never attacking Airsoft.

you went out your way to be a c*nt.

On the contrary, UKARA are not evil, their function is not evil and their selling of two-tones is entirely irrelevant, however when they dreamed it up, they did have to pander to the home office a little.

The fact is that if UKARA was there to harm the players then two-tone would never have been implemented.

6 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

On the contrary, UKARA are not evil, their function is not evil and their selling of two-tones is entirely irrelevant, however when they dreamed it up, they did have to pander to the home office a little.

The fact is that if UKARA was there to harm the players then two-tone would never have been implemented.

i never said it was bad.... i said that some retailers are taking the piss. and i agree with out the UKARA we would be screwed as it helped Airsoft. 

5 hours ago, L3wisD said:

RZ0K6pO.gif

Abit late on the meme. good try though.

its not just £30 to be a "reenactor".. it also covers insurance just in case something happens. plus it lets me buy blank firing guns and use them on the field.

• Supporters
52 minutes ago, Andyraven said:

Abit late on the meme. good try though.

its not just £30 to be a "reenactor".. it also covers insurance just in case something happens. plus it lets me buy blank firing guns and use them on the field.

Got to ask what is the point of reenactment?

I take the piss out of some airsofters for trying to play soldier and dressing up but at least they are playing an actual game.

Reenactment just seems be pointless and how do you reenact a battle.? There is no blood gore or the sheer terror of a battlefield. You already know who the winner is and its just people pratt falling in a field in replica uniforms. Isn't a blank firer just a loud cap gun?

I saw a reenactment at a fair or something years ago and thats when I decided there is actually something worse than warhammer.

13 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

I take the piss out of some airsofters for trying to play soldier and dressing up but at least they are playing an actual game.

Reenactment just seems be pointless and how do you reenact a battle.? There is no blood gore or the sheer terror of a battlefield. You already know who the winner is and its just people pratt falling in a field in replica uniforms. Isn't a blank firer just a loud cap gun?

I saw a reenactment at a fair or something years ago and thats when I decided there is actually something worse than warhammer.

we do historical events for the public who are interested in the Eras. We go to places where they hold 1940s weekends and set up camps and stalls to show the public what its was kind of like back then. If you want to call Blank firing guns cap guns thats up to you. But we use Repro active guns. some even use the real things. We have one guy that runs around with 2 sten guns for shits and gigs. the mock battles show the public what is was kind of like minus the "blood and gore", and its so much fun running around shooting at people. im guess you like to do that in airsoft ^_^

I'm starting to get WW1 British gear so i can start partaking in trench warfare. Would love to use it for Airsoft but im trying to find a mk3 SMLE for airsoft thats not over £1000.

12 hours ago, Samurai said:

It's about the drinking before, during and after the reenactment. Or at least this is how I imagine it. ;)

Theres no Drinking before/during, but when the public goes the beers flow. its really just a massive social gathering for people who are interested in history.  

• Supporters
35 minutes ago, Andyraven said:

If you want to call Blank firing guns cap guns thats up to you. But we use Repro active guns. some even use the real things. We have one guy that runs around with 2 sten guns for shits and gigs. the mock battles show the public what is was kind of like minus the "blood and gore", and its so much fun running around shooting at people. im guess you like to do that in airsoft ^_^

But in airsoft you do actually shoot at someone and a projectile leaves the weapon and hits the person. There is an actual game and a purpose. Reenactment is more like a hundred people running around shouting bang at each other so there is no actual shooting or engagement its just all pretend and acting.

It's obvious that for some people that sort of thing is fun as there is quite an active community but for me I just don't get the attraction. 

• Head Moderator
14 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

I have been to a few public events over the years and have actually enjoyed them.  Whilst I am always disapointed with the lack of numbers, re-enactors haing a niche hobby and expensive equipment, they do their best to bring a period of history to life.  Need a bit of imagination to upscale what you are watching; being at Battle for a 1066 day where there were only 6 or 7 Norman knights is not the same effect as if there were 100+ but it still demonstrated the size and sound of cavalry. [The Household Cavalry in London has more numbers but yet to see them charge down The Mall scattering annoying tourists taking selfies].  The sound of black powder weapons being discharged and the resultant smoke does give a sense of "the fog of war" and what it would be like on the field.

Now I am off to polish my helmet ;)

I think it's important to distinguish between re-enactment as a "performance piece" and re-enactment for "it's own sake". This then is a genuine "each to his own" moment, like with warhammer, birdwatchingk, and TV or computer games, airsoft etc.

Andyraven do you ever participate in what trigger is talking about, where you "re-enact" without any kind of observers?

3 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

I think it's important to distinguish between re-enactment as a "performance piece" and re-enactment for "it's own sake". This then is a genuine "each to his own" moment, like with warhammer, birdwatchingk, and TV or computer games, airsoft etc.

Andyraven do you ever participate in what trigger is talking about, where you "re-enact" without any kind of observers?

Sometimes we do but its normally so we can practice and make sure we look the part when in front of the public.

we also do some historical airsoft events.(i haven't yet)

Airsoft is still "pretend" yes you may shoot some one with a projectile but the person hit doesn't drop dead.. they walk off to "respawn" (thats if its not a milsim)

now if you want a physical reenactment sport look at Battle of the Nation. but that is still done in front of observer.

Before each battle we choose who will die and who wins. We try and make it look like a real battle.

• Supporters

But airsoft is an actual game you are not pretending to actually be in a battle (unless you are very very sad).

There is a point to it because you play airsoft to win a game but reenactment is just dress up. 

I have no issue with it and I like military history just don't understand what attracts people to it. Especially as you say its just like theatre in a field but with a very basic storyline. Each to their own and all that.

23 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

But airsoft is an actual game you are not pretending to actually be in a battle (unless you are very very sad).

There is a point to it because you play airsoft to win a game but reenactment is just dress up. 

I have no issue with it and I like military history just don't understand what attracts people to it. Especially as you say its just like theatre in a field but with a very basic storyline. Each to their own and all that.

so milsims are sad to you? ^_^

I like history and i like to show/teach others history. plus its a fun day out.

• Head Moderator
2 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

You win that is the saddest thing I have ever seen.

Well it made me smile :D.  Good to see another sport out there, updated fencing / kendo.  Maybe I should get onto facebook after all because I did not know it was used for anything other than whinging Millennials and posting endless selfies.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

Well it made me smile :D.  Good to see another sport out there, updated fencing / kendo.  Maybe I should get onto facebook after all because I did not know it was used for anything other than whinging Millennials and posting endless selfies.

Nope, we old people have facebook now. And our mums. Millennials left for snapchat.

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, Samurai said:

Millennials left for snapchat.

Thought it was called snatch-ap... must be another app ;)

Archived