Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

asbo1991
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Whose getting it and has anyone got any impressions from the Beta or bee lucky and already started playing???

Playing it last night and it took me avout 4 hours tp get half way through the second area from the start its a big and beautiful map but the idea of the store where i can just buy weapons instead of collect them drives me nuts

Waiting for it to be £15-£20. Ever since it was announced I thought 'I bet it will get way too repetitive' and the reviews I've seen seem to back that up, so would not pay full price for it myself.

Tom Clancy comes out with a game every so often it seems, and I can't keep up with them. I probably will spend my money on Sniper Elite 4, rather than this. As I already have RSS

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Robert James said:

Tom Clancy comes out with a game every so often it seems, and I can't keep up with them. I probably will spend my money on Sniper Elite 4, rather than this. As I already have RSS

R6Siege is nothing like Wildlands (to be fair it's nothing like Rainbow 6 either but there you go).

7 hours ago, Lozart said:

R6Siege is nothing like Wildlands (to be fair it's nothing like Rainbow 6 either but there you go).

I'm not suggesting they are similar but I've only just got into the game after having it a year nearly. I'll probably get the next game out though. 

22 hours ago, Robert James said:

19 hours ago, Lozart said:

11 hours ago, Robert James said:

I'm not suggesting they are similar but I've only just got into the game after having it a year nearly. I'll probably get the next game out though. 

R6Seige is an amazing game and is my completive shooter of choice, Wildlands is my new shooter for just sheer fun.

• Supporters
On 3/9/2017 at 10:16 AM, asbo1991 said:

R6Seige is an amazing game and is my completive shooter of choice, Wildlands is my new shooter for just sheer fun.

R6Siege is so far removed from what I know as Rainbow 6 that it just didn't interest me. When it was still under development as Patriots it looked good but when Ubisoft jumped on the CoD bandwagon and turned it into multiplayer only I cancelled my order. R6 was always a decent tactical squad shooter (Raven SHield was probably the high point for me) but these days it's a pale shadow of what it once was.

Ghost Recon likewise used to be a lot less forgiving (try playing one of the original games and you'll see what I mean) but at least it hasn't completely disappeared down the "dumbed down for consoles" route. Yet.

1 minute ago, Lozart said:

R6Siege is so far removed from what I know as Rainbow 6 that it just didn't interest me. When it was still under development as Patriots it looked good but when Ubisoft jumped on the CoD bandwagon and turned it into multiplayer only I cancelled my order. R6 was always a decent tactical squad shooter (Raven SHield was probably the high point for me) but these days it's a pale shadow of what it once was.

Ghost Recon likewise used to be a lot less forgiving (try playing one of the original games and you'll see what I mean) but at least it hasn't completely disappeared down the "dumbed down for consoles" route. Yet.

I remember the original Ghost Recon played it on the Xbox, was a great great game so was RB6 but both have evolved.

RB6 is a brilliant game there is a single player element but its very limited, multiplayer was how the game was designed and I completely love the game but everyone has different tastes so can understand your point of view.

the on thing I would say is if you know someone with have a go on and see what you think after that

• Supporters
1 minute ago, asbo1991 said:

I remember the original Ghost Recon played it on the Xbox, was a great great game so was RB6 but both have evolved.

RB6 is a brilliant game there is a single player element but its very limited, multiplayer was how the game was designed and I completely love the game but everyone has different tastes so can understand your point of view.

the on thing I would say is if you know someone with have a go on and see what you think after that

I played the demo of R6S and while yes, as a game in its own right it's OK it's just not what I want from a Rainbow 6 game. The perks and unlockable skins just don't appeal to me, if I wanted to play that there's already plenty of other games like it. It was the squad element and the tactical nature of the originals that appealed to me and it's just not there now.

Evolution isn't always a good thing. I know the gaming market has changed but why not start a new franchise instead of trading off the name of another in the expectation that it'll trick people into buying it? Maybe I'm just showing my age (and in turn how long I've been gaming) but the endless pandering to the casual gamer console market is what's killed off franchises like Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six (the "proper" ones that is). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Battlefield as much as the next guy but sometimes you want a game that actually makes you think about your choices! The old GR games used to punish you for losing a man in battle by replacing him with someone with less ability. It actually made you think about your planning so you didn't end up getting your best sniper killed. Games like CoD have become a barely interactive movie compared with the games that spawned them (Medal of Honor).

3 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I played the demo of R6S and while yes, as a game in its own right it's OK it's just not what I want from a Rainbow 6 game. The perks and unlockable skins just don't appeal to me, if I wanted to play that there's already plenty of other games like it. It was the squad element and the tactical nature of the originals that appealed to me and it's just not there now.

Evolution isn't always a good thing. I know the gaming market has changed but why not start a new franchise instead of trading off the name of another in the expectation that it'll trick people into buying it? Maybe I'm just showing my age (and in turn how long I've been gaming) but the endless pandering to the casual gamer console market is what's killed off franchises like Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six (the "proper" ones that is). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Battlefield as much as the next guy but sometimes you want a game that actually makes you think about your choices! The old GR games used to punish you for losing a man in battle by replacing him with someone with less ability. It actually made you think about your planning so you didn't end up getting your best sniper killed. Games like CoD have become a barely interactive movie compared with the games that spawned them (Medal of Honor).

This is so refreshing having serious conversation about games with someone who has played the old games and remembers when gameplay made or broke a game not just graphics.

If you have played the demo and didn't like it then fair play I misread what had posted earlier and made assumption you hadn't tried it. RB6 is definitely a PC game for me not a console game due to the competitive nature. Just to give reference the only previous RB6 game I have played was Vegas so my knowledge of the RB6 games is limited. I feel that after modern warfare series this filled my competitive game area as CoD went down hill so fast after the modern warfare series in my opinion.

Agreed evolution isn't a good thing Cod is evidence of that agreed and also Medal of Honour is the same, I also agree a new name would of been a good way forward for GRW rather than revamping the series with a new format. GRW is my console game of choice just purely because it feels more like an oldschool with the physics engine (just try flying a helicopter its crap and definitely a video game imitation) and would rather chill out and play that on the console. Plus I am only PC gamer out of group friends so its PC for me and XBONE with mates and GRW can be an amazing co-op game.

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, asbo1991 said:

This is so refreshing having serious conversation about games with someone who has played the old games and remembers when gameplay made or broke a game not just graphics.

If you have played the demo and didn't like it then fair play I misread what had posted earlier and made assumption you hadn't tried it. RB6 is definitely a PC game for me not a console game due to the competitive nature. Just to give reference the only previous RB6 game I have played was Vegas so my knowledge of the RB6 games is limited. I feel that after modern warfare series this filled my competitive game area as CoD went down hill so fast after the modern warfare series in my opinion.

Agreed evolution isn't a good thing Cod is evidence of that agreed and also Medal of Honour is the same, I also agree a new name would of been a good way forward for GRW rather than revamping the series with a new format. GRW is my console game of choice just purely because it feels more like an oldschool with the physics engine (just try flying a helicopter its crap and definitely a video game imitation) and would rather chill out and play that on the console. Plus I am only PC gamer out of group friends so its PC for me and XBONE with mates and GRW can be an amazing co-op game.

*insert PC Master race meme here*

Agreed, gameplay is king for me too! You should try and dig up a copy of R6:Raven Shield if you can. Pretty sure the Game of The Year edition will run on later versions of Windoze. Three squads, all under your command a planning stage to plot their movements, go codes the lot. Bloody amazing game that punished you severely for not playing tactically enough.

Unfortunately games companies aren't charities and they have to follow the money. The console market appears to be where the mass of customers is now so the PC versions of games are often a port as opposed to the other way around as it was in the good old days. I get that, I understand it completely but if you remember Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter you'll know that they actually hired two separate developers to make that game - one for PC and another for console. The console version worked within the limitations of the platform (third person view for starters) and the PC version was the full blown "proper" version. The scope of play in the PC version was far broader, the game itself was bigger and it was great. Now, I'm not saying all devs should follow that model but there must surely be some room for better implementation on the best platforms, surely?

Granted there are some amazing games for PC (Mass Effect, Fallout et al) but when some of the best shooter franchises have become piss poor console ports then surely there's something wrong?

• Supporters

I have got it and I thoroughly enjoy it but it's not really a tactical shooter like the old games. Its basically grandtheft auto with a decent combat mechanic. It's great fun especially with a few friends but I do hanker for the old Ghost Recon same for R6 because I thought Siege was absolute garbage.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

I played the closed beta on PS4 and it was a laugh in a group of 4 mates, but it was really rather shonky.

AI was abysmal and gun fights felt too arcadey.

It felt like Mercenaries from the PS2..

Is the released game any different to the betas?

Not getting it until steam sales tbh.

I had it on ultra for everything at 1440p in the beta; although pretty and sizable the game world is. I found it quite shallow in my opinion, so I think I'll wait as there were some bugs with it and see if there's more depth than what we have seen.

It is fun with friends no doubt, it is A good laugh, but in single player I feel that's where it falls a little flat. If there's more to the game down the line that can raise the fun of single sessions then I might reconsider but as a package unless enough friends pick it up I'll wait. Plus hopefully down the line I'll avoid the majority of the typical Ubisoft games bugs.

Just my humble opinions of course :)

I recently Purchased ghost recon wildlands on PS4 and its thoroughly a great game minus some bugs.The map is MASSIVE ! Its great with friends to set up great sniper shots etc.the single player is quite good as the ai teammates are quite useful and cover your back.playing with  friends or with ai either your option to go in stealthy or go in loud I prefer a mixture of both 

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:21 AM, L3wisD said:

I played the closed beta on PS4 and it was a laugh in a group of 4 mates, but it was really rather shonky.

AI was abysmal and gun fights felt too arcadey.

It felt like Mercenaries from the PS2..

Is the released game any different to the betas?

The game is slightly different to the betas, the biggest change is the full scale map

my best way of describing it is sort of far cry smashed together with some diversion elements.

Archived