show me your shotgun rigs

Roundel91
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Evening all.

I'm looking to tailor my belt for a CQB shotgun rig, I've just bought a DE tri-shot M56b without the stock to be a backup to my M4 but also intend to use it as a primary

The focus on my build up is to keep things ultra simple, slim, light and within easy reach on reload (shells mounted on the side sounds pretty good)

All my kit is fixed onto a MOLLE battle belt which has nothing but the essentials fitted (x4 mag pouches and a utility pouch for a bag of ammo) so i do have quiet a bit of space to put some other bits as long as i can keep the weight down.

Also, i've seen velcro shell holders out there. are there any around that are small enough they can be stuck onto shoulder velcro patches seen on the british MTP uniforms?

look forward to the replies.

Roundel

• Supporters

Don't know how much you'd fancy the idea, but I often pack a cheap old DE tri-shot in my gun bag as it's the most reliable backup gun I've got.  My main gun that day will generally be some sort of rifle/SMG though and my gear's entirely setup for that, so the shotgun has a caddy on the side for a few shells and... yeah that's it, all I've ever needed.

10 shots per shell with 1 in the gun and 5 on the side has always been far more than I've ever needed in CQB personally.  Cheap, adds bugger all weight to either my rig or the gun itself, fast to reload, no changes to my standard carrier/belt.  Not sure how well velcro would hold on if you're pulling shells out of the elastic loops on a sleeve, but if you can only find large placards and that's an idea you really want to run with just chop them down to size.

2 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

Don't know how much you'd fancy the idea, but I often pack a cheap old DE tri-shot in my gun bag as it's the most reliable backup gun I've got.  My main gun that day will generally be some sort of rifle/SMG though and my gear's entirely setup for that, so the shotgun has a caddy on the side for a few shells and... yeah that's it, all I've ever needed.

10 shots per shell with 1 in the gun and 5 on the side has always been far more than I've ever needed in CQB personally.  Cheap, adds bugger all weight to either my rig or the gun itself, fast to reload, no changes to my standard carrier/belt.  Not sure how well velcro would hold on if you're pulling shells out of the elastic loops on a sleeve, but if you can only find large placards and that's an idea you really want to run with just chop them down to size.

Thanks mate.

The whole reason behind buying it was to use as a backup if the battery goes on my AEG. But since the site i play at the most runs games in 3 hour sessions at 20 mins a game it seems like a good, cheap option and will let me switch things up for a change. After having a go with a mates shottie i had alot more fun with it than using my M4.

Can you recommend any shell holders that will fit onto the side of the gun? I'm having a look through TG and gunfire etc but cant find anything that seems to suit.

Ammo wise i was thinking id need about 8 shells all in as i can get a bit trigger happy!

• Supporters

ebay it up, there's loads:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-20-Gauge-Shotgun-Shell-Cartridge-Holder-Velcro-Back-Airsoft-Co2-Paintball-Pod-/191843812769

Buy some sticky backed velcro (again ebay or a craft shop) and you're sorted.  If you've got a full stock just google shell holders and options pop up straight away.  There's arm mounted placards around as well.

2 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

ebay it up, there's loads:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-20-Gauge-Shotgun-Shell-Cartridge-Holder-Velcro-Back-Airsoft-Co2-Paintball-Pod-/191843812769

Buy some sticky backed velcro (again ebay or a craft shop) and you're sorted.  If you've got a full stock just google shell holders and options pop up straight away.  There's arm mounted placards around as well.

cant get on ebay as using the works web atm.

Just had an idea about the patches though. think i may well be able to make something up using a blanking plate and some black elastic we have kicking around. will post pics up when the shells show up in the post. will atleast give me an idea whether or not it will be too weighty or not on the shoulders

• Supporters
39 minutes ago, Roundel91 said:

cant get on ebay as using the works web atm.

Just had an idea about the patches though. think i may well be able to make something up using a blanking plate and some black elastic we have kicking around. will post pics up when the shells show up in the post. will atleast give me an idea whether or not it will be too weighty or not on the shoulders

With the 1st gen of PCS with the full velcro patches it would definitely be solid.   The newer sh*t with just the outlines.. maybe...

15 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

With the 1st gen of PCS with the full velcro patches it would definitely be solid.   The newer sh*t with just the outlines.. maybe...

got a few patches of both kicking round. can easily add more velcro to the new ones though.

On 20/02/2017 at 9:53 PM, CKinnerley said:

I was meaning more the shirts themselves but yeah, the more contact area the better.

I finally got round to having a bash of some DIY.

will admit this is not the best of attempts, its a bit of a pain trying to judge the length of elastic needed inbetween stitches to ensure that the shells are held securely enough but not overly tight. I had to do all of this by sight   And as you can see in the pics there is some minor bunching up when all 3 shells are fitted.

Some really primitive testing (jumping up and down and swaying arms around!) has shown the patch holds on well to the jacket although i'll find out how well it works when its put through a skirmish.

if anything its a way of trying to keep my hand in on the sewing machine (hardly use it these days) and has cost me nothing. Would be interesting to see how the proper stuff is manufactured en mass.

Archived