Airsoft Forums UK

Loadout advice - MTP/Multicam

MILITATED
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello!

Now, I'm not particularly sure if what I have is MTP or multicam, but it was listed under MTP so that is how I shall refer to it thus far in this post as it's shorter.

So, I'm making the move from a black loadout (which never really got completed) to MTP. However, I do not wish to have a MTP plate carrier/vest. At present, I've got surplus MTP trousers, surplus MTP UBACS, British tan desert boots (pictured below), some backup British black assault boots and a MTP jungle hat.

Instead, I want a solid coloured plate carrier (and accessories I.e kneepads) so I can potentially use it for future loadouts. 

After a quick search on the forums, I found a similar thread and the main opinions were to purchase either Olive Drab, Ranger Green or Coyote Brown. Do I go with Coyote Brown or something similar to match the boots and the main body of the UBACS?

I also read that the decision depends on the individual MTP pieces (leaning more towards tan or green in colour). I'm not an expert with MTP so I have attached a picture of a DPM hat next to some MTP to hopefully give you guys an idea of what I'm working with.

So, OD, RG or CB? Or something else?

Thank you all.

Screenshot_20170216-150506.jpg

20170216_204118.jpg

20170216_204152.jpg

Don't forget to think about what colour or pattern your pouches will be.

What you choose in the end should largely reflect the sites you play at most. My "regular" is Coms Site 3. Flecktarn is brilliant there. MTP, not so much.

3 minutes ago, jcheeseright said:

That is definitely MTP, except the hat, that's DPM. 

As for what colour plate carrier... whatever you like best! It's not going to make the slightest bit of difference to how well you're camouflaged. 

Yeah, I just put the DPM there for comparison :P MTP hat is still in the post.

I suppose I will just go with whatever I take a liking to most :)

Any of them will work fine colour wise , I would personally got with the coyote as it can go with most things if you plan to change again down the line it is still usable. 

• Supporters

As far as the most common types of solid colour nylon gear go, there are greens (OD, RG, FG) and tans (Khaki, CB etc).  Both have been used by innumerable people/groups/forces/armies over the past century.

The sort-of-tan shade of old canvas that basically everyone on the entire planet used from just pre-WW1 up until (very roughly) Vietnam when it came to webbing belts - that works.  The USMC probably popularised coyote brown and it works decently enough in most likely-encountered environments (like MC/MTP) and they swap uniforms from Arid to Temperate MARPAT underneath that same CB kit regardless of where they go in the world.  At least in terms of the USA and UK I think those guys have the most intelligent, flexible and 'common sense' procurement system for gear overall, so if they do something it's usually sensible and worth paying attention to imho.

CB is, I think, the 'best' solid as far as rigs and belts go for general outdoor usage and it's commonly available.  Does it matter in airsoft?  Not in the slightest.  Anything can look good.  These threads have been really common for years now and I'm still not sure why in most cases.  I never cared what colour my kit was going to be in terms of matching my uniform when I started buying stuff before I went to my first game.  I knew I was playing in the woods, so I bought a green vest - done.  What other people might think or any other aesthetic concerns never entered my mind.

54 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

As far as the most common types of solid colour nylon gear go, there are greens (OD, RG, FG) and tans (Khaki, CB etc).  Both have been used by innumerable people/groups/forces/armies over the past century.

The sort-of-tan shade of old canvas that basically everyone on the entire planet used from just pre-WW1 up until (very roughly) Vietnam when it came to webbing belts - that works.  The USMC probably popularised coyote brown and it works decently enough in most likely-encountered environments (like MC/MTP) and they swap uniforms from Arid to Temperate MARPAT underneath that same CB kit regardless of where they go in the world.  At least in terms of the USA and UK I think those guys have the most intelligent, flexible and 'common sense' procurement system for gear overall, so if they do something it's usually sensible and worth paying attention to imho.

CB is, I think, the 'best' solid as far as rigs and belts go for general outdoor usage and it's commonly available.  Does it matter in airsoft?  Not in the slightest.  Anything can look good.  These threads have been really common for years now and I'm still not sure why in most cases.  I never cared what colour my was going to be in terms of matching my uniform when I started buying stuff before I went to my first game.  I knew I was playing in the woods, so I bought a green vest - done.  What other people might think or any other aesthetic concerns never entered my mind.

Thank you for such a detailed response :)

Decided to take the plunge when the opportunity came up. Got offered a FLYYE Spartan multicam vest (RRP £400) in a trade, honestly could not be happier. Looks absolutely perfect, didn't expect to like it so much! Got a couple FLYYE M4 pouches with it too. Loadout is really starting to come along! Just waiting on a few more items to arrive now.

Just a heads up. We aren't supposed to attach pouches and stuff to our body armour as if you stand on a mine it blows all that stuff up and takes your head off. If you wanted accuracy you may want webbing too :) well... actually everything is changing to virtus soon (if they pull their finger out) so no one will have a correct British loadout for some time.

As for colours if you buy anything else in future, if you want a good match with MTP, either standard tan or coyote works best.

56 minutes ago, Dysperse said:

Just a heads up. We aren't supposed to attach pouches and stuff to our body armour as if you stand on a mine it blows all that stuff up and takes your head off. If you wanted accuracy you may want webbing too :) well... actually everything is changing to virtus soon (if they pull their finger out) so no one will have a correct British loadout for some time.

As for colours if you buy anything else in future, if you want a good match with MTP, either standard tan or coyote works best.

Hopefully no one decides to put an actual mine down in an airsoft game! But thank you very much.. I did not know that :) Will definitely keep this in mind!

Little late, as I see you've already purchased a FLYYE Spartan (Excellent choice!) but personally, I'd go with the Coyote Tan with that style UBACS. You can never go wrong with a Coyote Plate Carrier. Lots of variety if you choose to wear something other than MTP. Even a pair of blue jeans and a black shirt look great. 

3 hours ago, CKinnerley said:

So if you buy an MC/MTP rig of some kind then wear any other colour clothing it'll 'look wrong'?

I never said that. As long as what you're wearing is comfortable and reliable, you can't go wrong. But the guy asked for suggestions, so saying "buy what you want" doesn't really add anything into the mix. :-) 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Dewback said:

But the guy asked for suggestions, so saying "buy what you want" doesn't really add anything into the mix. :-) 

That's exactly what most people need to hear though.  There's some weird myth floating around that's causing people (not necessarily this OP, but these threads are incredibly common all over forums) to think they, for some reason, will be judged on whether their rig 'matches' their clothing choice.

I'm not taking a pop at you here by any means, but just speaking generally the aim should be to make folks realise that the whole point is very much "buy what you want".  Give recommendations on what's decently built within their taste/budget absolutely, but the base concept shouldn't ever change.  As I've mentioned these types of questions never used to crop up (3-4+ years ago) and now it's almost every day for some reason and it makes no sense.

Oh my intentions for this aren't to impress others, I was just genuinely wondering which solid colours would be the most suitable fit. I just like to have things matching :) Last thing I wanted was to order something that's advertised as coyote brown and looks great in pictures but then actually turns up looking much brighter or darker than expected.

Before I got my multicam Flyye spartan vest, I was just going to wear some of the black gear I had (Flyye OTV, kneepads, boots and hat) over the MTP and get to a game. But yeah if there are things out there that match or work well with the colours and blend, then I'd much rather have that.

All sorted now though

4 hours ago, CKinnerley said:

As I've mentioned these types of questions never used to crop up (3-4+ years ago) and now it's almost every day for some reason and it makes no sense.

Who knows? Perhaps it's just that Airsofting has grown quite popular over the last few years and those entering for the first time want the best gear possible, even if they haven't tried it yet.

Maybe it's down to how it's represented on YouTube. Most of the load out videos are people decked out with a full kit. Perhaps it's what's considered the norm nowadays. I don't know.

What I do know is that for better or for worse, it never hurts to answer the same question, just so long as you drive the point across that you don't need to look like an army ranger to play the game. 

[Edit] Although, granted, dressing up as soldiers and shooting plastic BBs at each other is kind of the hook, isn't it? ;-)

Going back to @BigBlackGlocks original post as to whether his gear is MTP or Multicam, the difference is in the pattern 

The UBACS has the distinctive British DPM* swirl, and this style of pattern was kept in the licencing from Crye to allow us to use the multicam colour scheme in our own new pattern 

* noting that DPM originally just meant Disruptive Pattern Material, of which the majority of the worlds uniform camouflage schemes have been prior to digi cam etc

Whats commonly referred to as DPM is really DPM woodland, as opposed to DPM desert, DPM jungle etc

You will find that MTP & multicam appear to change colour in some environments as the different elements stand out in different conditions

Before MTP it was the British thing to mix and match, partly with different fabrics and fade, but mainly the different editions of issue items and the fashion of either being first with the new shiney thing or last to keep the oldest thing.

1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

Going back to @BigBlackGlocks original post as to whether his gear is MTP or Multicam, the difference is in the pattern 

The UBACS has the distinctive British DPM* swirl, and this style of pattern was kept in the licencing from Crye to allow us to use the multicam colour scheme in our own new pattern 

* noting that DPM originally just meant Disruptive Pattern Material, of which the majority of the worlds uniform camouflage schemes have been prior to digi cam etc

Whats commonly referred to as DPM is really DPM woodland, as opposed to DPM desert, DPM jungle etc

You will find that MTP & multicam appear to change colour in some environments as the different elements stand out in different conditions

Before MTP it was the British thing to mix and match, partly with different fabrics and fade, but mainly the different editions of issue items and the fashion of either being first with the new shiney thing or last to keep the oldest thing.

Thank you, I was very unclear before this! Much appreciated :)

5 hours ago, BigBlackGlock said:

Thank you, I was very unclear before this! Much appreciated :)

If you fancy a little bit of history and standing out - get some desert DPM and some green dye to produce Turqoiuse DPM - the reason why the MOD looked into multi-region camouflage and developed MTP

https://strikehold.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/afghan-camo-the-british-controversy/

IMG_1209.JPG.412323790983ec9a10aa9bad014a9fc2.JPG

9 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

If you fancy a little bit of history and standing out - get some desert DPM and some green dye to produce Turqoiuse DPM - the reason why the MOD looked into multi-region camouflage and developed MTP

https://strikehold.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/afghan-camo-the-british-controversy/

IMG_1209.JPG.412323790983ec9a10aa9bad014a9fc2.JPG

Wow, that is pretty cool! Definitely gonna read up on this, much appreciated!

Archived