Krylon.

Bushmaster5.56
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

can vouch for this working as well. posted a topic on this about 3 weeks ago and it worked a treat on my CM16 with fantastic results. Back to the original colour and without damaging any of the other painted on manufacturer markings either.

Not sure how well it would work against other paints though (especially two tone colours)

I hear fairy power spray also works very well too.l

• Mostly Retired Moderators

I inherited some Green M4 parts that someone had kicking around.

Painted with - I presume - Krylon, by Z1 - But fairy power spray isn't cutting the mustard (or the paint).

Are we talking, regular, brown Dettol? 

18266-Antiseptic-Liquid-Dettol.jpg

Can imagine it will work. As a tabletop miniature painter I regularly use either dettol or nail polish remover to strip paint from plastic and metal miniatures. 

A good scrub with a toothbrush after soaking will help remove any stubborn bits. 

• Supporters

Tar and glue remover works a treat too. Soak anything you want for about 30 minutes to an hour and it just wipes away dead easy.

I've used the Dettol weigh mixed reviews, Yes most of the paint has come off no problems but i don't know if because the gun needed another soaking  the paint on the receiver looks a little worn now . Gonna try the tar and glue remover to get the last bits off.

Ps: Does the Dettol last more than one use as it's gone cloudy ?

On 23/02/2017 at 7:14 PM, sniperslucky said:

I've used the Dettol weigh mixed reviews, Yes most of the paint has come off no problems but i don't know if because the gun needed another soaking  the paint on the receiver looks a little worn now . Gonna try the tar and glue remover to get the last bits off.

should last more than one use mate. i did the whole of my gun using some poured into a Chinese container over the course of two days. was only replacing the cotton pads when they got really gammy to stop the thinned out paint spreading around.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mostly Retired Moderators

Evening gentlemen!

To conclude... I'm happy to confirm that dettol is a wonderful stripper of krylon.

However don't do what I did and forget that you're soaking a G&G stock in the stuff.

I only remembered after my missus asked me what was soaking in the tub in the cupboard under the sink.

F***!

I pulled it out only to find the stock had the appearance of a melted boiled sweet. 

Forever ruined!

Now my back up G&G has a bandaged buffer tube instead of a stock!

WczsojG.jpg

4VmElgt.jpg

• Supporters

Well as it is front wired carbine you can by a nice cheapo magpul clone for under a tenner

http://www.taiwangun.com/en/stocks-and-accesories/ergonomic-tactical-stock-mod-2-black?from=listing&campaign-id=19

or something like that off fleabay for about £10 or so

I mean they look nice but a bitch for battery space on rear wired M4's

front wired - great stock and not as wide like a crane stock

better than buying another basic stock the carbine had

heck could even go for a M4 folding stock - nahhhh get a tactical one I think

Think we should do a notice board or something on people putting in a GF or TWG order

not for the whole country but anybody local needing a couple of small bits could club together

then compile a few smaller orders than pay postage or have to spend 175 Euro's to get free shipping

Actually TWG think the free ship is back at 100 Euro's but don't quote me on that

Well at least we know Dettol is very good at removing paint - a bit too good if you forget

But might try that myself if I ever get another 2-tone come along

Only for metal parts. If time is important. I assume you are over 18, you will need to be to buy this.

Dichloromethane. It is what used to be the active ingredient in most paint strippers up to 2009 Nitro-mors ect. It is illegal to be sold as a paint stripper in the EU now, but can still be purchased very easily for other applications. I get mine from a local model shop that sell it as a type of plastic glue. It's dirt cheap in most cases. If you ebay it you should be able to get 1L for £2 or somewhere there about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds6QixjSy5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0-WrD5ckh0

https://www.expotools.com/cgi-bin/sh000005.pl?WD=plastic weld&PN=Plastic-Weld-PW.html#SID=175

Warning, The stuff is super aggressive, will eat any of the thin medical style gloves. Work outside, Work with thick industrial gloves. It will destroy anything made of plastic so don't even go there for plastic stuff.

It'll remove most spray paints in a few seconds with a dampened cloth and just wiping, the paint will dissolve totally in a lot of cases. Dries near instantly, And can be repainted over after a quick wash in soapy water. It is the single fastest paint remover I have ever used period. Cleans right down to the metal instantly and has very little clean up time as it's a potent degreaser as well.

I did a motorbike fuel tank with the stuff, Took it from hard clear coat to bare metal in about 30 mins without any hard scrubbing or sanding. I also did an M4 I picked up the other day with it. 10-15mins of gentle wiping and it was back to bare metal.The stuff is very hard to beat.

For plastics.

Fairy power spray. Spray on, leave it 10 mins and rub off the paint. Doesn't work so well on glossy finishes.

Detol is also good but I find it too slow, and on etch primer it'll be sketchy at best if not left for a long period.

• 1 month later...
On 2017-2-23 at 7:14 PM, sniperslucky said:

How did the tar remover go? And what brand did you use if you did? Cheers

Archived