Anyone using a GoPro ?

lasbrisas
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As the title says, I'm thinking of buying a new GoPro to use on a helmet after trying a cheapo camera and getting crap results, especially the sound. Now because they are expensive I am concerned about BBs hitting the front and damaging the lens cover and LCD front display. Most skeleton covers don't protect either and I don't think the mobile type screen protectors will be up to the job. So, is the only choice the fully enclosed divers case or are there other options as the sound will probably be blocked, I had to mod the case on the cheapo camera to allow sound recording.

I think BrainExploder has a lens protector bracket on his Shapeways store, you'd then need some polycarbonate to put in it (think for a GP5). You could make your own protector for any that use a case as you can just unscrew the GP protector and screw on some polycarbonate.

I'd suggest a GP4 Silver rather than a 5 Black as it has the case whereas the 5 doesn't.

Look at the BrainExploder mounts too as they are well thought out and the other mounts of his I've used have done the thing well. The GP is heavy compared to the likes of the Mobius which is worth taking into consideration.

If filming it is 100% worth running a scopecam too, you don't need a GP for that (would be too big and bulky) but def need a zoom lens on it.

I would advise running with the waterproof housing on but buy a cheap one.

Here is a link to a cheap generic housing for the hero5: http://amzn.to/2jfQV4N

What I have done is drill some small holes all around to let ambient sound in which works fine for me, then use some plastidip spray in green/black to cover it.

Worst case scenario, the case gets hit and cracks but you're only down £13.

I would advise running with the waterproof housing on but buy a cheap one.

Here is a link to a cheap generic housing for the hero5: http://amzn.to/2jfQV4N

What I have done is drill some small holes all around to let ambient sound in which works fine for me, then use some plastidip spray in green/black to cover it.

Worst case scenario, the case gets hit and cracks but you're only down £13.

Yes very true, we did this on the cheapo cam drilling holes where the mic is and also the charging port so a powerpack could be used. Even drilling the holes the sound was still bad, almost like mono hence the possible upgrade to gopro.

• Supporters

I run a number of cameras and several of them are GoPros. I have a GoPro Hero 4 Silver in a custom hydrodipped case that I use as a headcam, a 3+ Black in a black case thatI either use as a COD-style view on my buffer tube or as a headcam on a squad-mate, and a 3+ Silver in a tan case that can either be a COD-cam on a squadmate's gun if there are only two of us, or as a third headcam if there are three of us. I also use a Mobius Actioncam (much cheaper but not as nice) as either a scopecam on my AEGs (with an 8x lens) or a facecam (with a standard lens) on my VSR, a Contour 2+ that I use as a facecam on my AEGs, an ATN X-sight II HD, which is a scope that also records for my VSR as a scopecam, and a FLIR tk Ocean Scout that I use as a spotting scope that can also record thermal. All have their ups and downs, but I still like Gopros. Keep them in a case, as lenses do get shot out, but feel free to drill the mic or charger on them.

I run a number of cameras and several of them are GoPros. I have a GoPro Hero 4 Silver in a custom hydrodipped case that I use as a headcam, a 3+ Black in a black case thatI either use as a COD-style view on my buffer tube or as a headcam on a squad-mate, and a 3+ Silver in a tan case that can either be a COD-cam on a squadmate's gun if there are only two of us, or as a third headcam if there are three of us. I also use a Mobius Actioncam (much cheaper but not as nice) as either a scopecam on my AEGs (with an 8x lens) or a facecam (with a standard lens) on my VSR, a Contour 2+ that I use as a facecam on my AEGs, an ATN X-sight II HD, which is a scope that also records for my VSR as a scopecam, and a FLIR tk Ocean Scout that I use as a spotting scope that can also record thermal. All have their ups and downs, but I still like Gopros. Keep them in a case, as lenses do get shot out, but feel free to drill the mic or charger on them.

Thanks for the reply, so what is the sound like when the cam is in the case, and what is a "custom hydrodipped case" if you don't mind me asking. The newest gopro model is the Hero 5 black which comes with a skeleton case and a full dive case, I would prefer to be able to use the skeleton case but as mentioned the lens cover and lcd screen are exposed, I could just cover the lcd with some foam or rubber but I was hoping for some kind of lens shield to be available as a mobile type screen protector won't be enough protection.

• Supporters

Thanks for the reply, so what is the sound like when the cam is in the case, and what is a "custom hydrodipped case" if you don't mind me asking. The newest gopro model is the Hero 5 black which comes with a skeleton case and a full dive case, I would prefer to be able to use the skeleton case but as mentioned the lens cover and lcd screen are exposed, I could just cover the lcd with some foam or rubber but I was hoping for some kind of lens shield to be available as a mobile type screen protector won't be enough protection.

#1: Check out any of my videos for that (in 'Media' section, or SeniorSpaz87 on YouTube). #2: A case I had hydrodipped. #3 Don't use a skeleton case, just use a full one. It'll pick up anything you say fine; others may sound faint.

I use a GoPro, although I didnt take it out with me to the Mall as I was worried about sound, I didnt think to drill into it, though I cant really do that as I have the original gopro so would be a risk.

Not used a GoPro for airsoft as of yet, but any time I've used it with the supplied waterproof housing, it's been fine sound wise.

A bit distant sounding, but has definitely got rid of my pet hate which has been the sound of wind etc on the microphone being picked up.

As said, could use the supplied housing and paint it.

• Supporters

I use a GoPro and have purchased a Shapeways lens protector for it and 3mm shatter proof lens to go into it.

I wish I’d never sold my contour though because since having a GoPro it’s been warranty replaced 4 times in 9 months because it’s recording static. My camera went back a few weeks ago again because of the same issue so soon it’ll be a 5th time. I hardly used the camera and it’s kept in a GoPro padded storage bag when not in use. I won’t purchase another GoPro after this and I’m now looking to move back to a Contour.

Archived