Custom Spray paint stencils

TinySeal
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I use a graphtec CE6000 so not your cheap Chinese cutter you find on fleabay. If your looking to get a cutter avoid the cheap brands, maybe start with a craftrobo or silhouette cameo. They are small but will do for starting out and are decent bits of kit. The cheap crap to avoid are: liyu, ukcutter, redsail or anything with MH or EH in the title. They are total junk - not very friendly with a USB connection, the USB/serial boards always blow, they rarely have support for windows 10, connecting them up for your computer to detect them is a nightmare, any sort of static while cutting sends the cutter to go ape sh*t all over your vinyl with random cuts...I could go on. This is from experience when I first started, 2 years warranty with them and I binned them after months of use as customer service is none existent. If it doesn't connect for some reason they make an appointment with you to remotely connect to your pc to try solve a hardware issue which they can't see...this appointment could be days in advance and is in their working hours so if you work mon-fri then your screwed, then they forget about your appointment.

I'm not trying to put you off but it's the same principle as most things, buy cheap - buy twice.

That's why I recommend a desktop unit like the craftrobo or silhouette cameo - I make signage, wall art etc so I need a large cutter where you wouldn't need to buy something like mine

Cheers bud for that info every bit help , thank you , been looking at a Roland camm-1 pro gx500 need to do a lot of learning though before an actual purchase .

Also I would buy some decent software to convert your stuff to vectors. The websites that offer it free by uploading an image are junk - learn photoshop or a free design/editing program. I use illustrator a lot for my stencils so would see if u can get a hold of it. I know adobe now do monthly subscriptions for their stuff so u don't have to lay down £5k for the master suite anymore but pay a monthly fee so u could knock a load up in a month, convert the files for the cutter then cancel it. Or you could learn to use Inkscape as it's free.

Roland is a good make I have one I bought as a backup. If you need any help just give me a shout

Also I would buy some decent software to convert your stuff to vectors. The websites that offer it free by uploading an image are junk - learn photoshop or a free design/editing program. I use illustrator a lot for my stencils so would see if u can get a hold of it. I know adobe now do monthly subscriptions for their stuff so u don't have to lay down £5k for the master suite anymore but pay a monthly fee so u could knock a load up in a month, convert the files for the cutter then cancel it. Or you could learn to use Inkscape as it's free.

Roland is a good make I have one I bought as a backup. If you need any help just give me a shout

Thanks a lot mate really appreciate your guidance and help , I'm a printer by trade and I've done some graphic design so I'm kind of up to scratch with the design/editing , thank you so much 😊

• Supporters

I've used a Craft Robo for aaaages for painting! Good bit of kit but as said, you would do well to invest in Illustrator to do your line art and convert to DXF files for the cutter.

I've used a Craft Robo for aaaages for painting! Good bit of kit but as said, you would do well to invest in Illustrator to do your line art and convert to DXF files for the cutter.

Cant beat a craft robo, they are perfect for loads of small projects, easy to use and reliable. Cheap as chips. I made my money back in the first week of having one by selling ps and Xbox controller stickers. Daughter now has it in her room where she uses it to make stickers and other stuff, she's 8 😂

• 2 weeks later...

Roland and Summacut make the best vinyl plotters. I have a summacut d60. I'm a traditional sign painter and do a lot of stuff by hand but for smaller detail work I always use vinyl masks. You can pretty much stencil anything right down to 5mm letters. Definitely never reusable but shouldn't really be so expensive that you'd need to. Would be up for running a few bits off on my machine to see how they come out if anyone wants to try. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 19/01/2017 at 09:38, Turtl3sh3ad85 said:

I use a graphtec CE6000 so not your cheap Chinese cutter you find on fleabay. If your looking to get a cutter avoid the cheap brands, maybe start with a craftrobo or silhouette cameo. They are small but will do for starting out and are decent bits of kit. The cheap crap to avoid are: liyu, ukcutter, redsail or anything with MH or EH in the title. They are total junk - not very friendly with a USB connection, the USB/serial boards always blow, they rarely have support for windows 10, connecting them up for your computer to detect them is a nightmare, any sort of static while cutting sends the cutter to go ape shit all over your vinyl with random cuts...I could go on. This is from experience when I first started, 2 years warranty with them and I binned them after months of use as customer service is none existent. If it doesn't connect for some reason they make an appointment with you to remotely connect to your pc to try solve a hardware issue which they can't see...this appointment could be days in advance and is in their working hours so if you work mon-fri then your screwed, then they forget about your appointment.

I'm not trying to put you off but it's the same principle as most things, buy cheap - buy twice.

That's why I recommend a desktop unit like the craftrobo or silhouette cameo - I make signage, wall art etc so I need a large cutter where you wouldn't need to buy something like mine

Are you happy with your graphtec? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for being off topic.

I'm in the market for a vinyl cutter and I sure could use some help. Where did you get started? Because there are a number to choose from. At the moment I don't want to shell out a lot of money so I was looking at desktop vinyl cutters. I've got tired of all the hype reviews that were on the net. And finally managed to find one that seems legit. On this web-page I've found a review that was critical. It actually showed the flaws of each machines. What do you think which one would be better.

Any help is appreciated

Archived