Spraying a two tone black?

hawkite
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have read loads of the threads on here regarding this and you are all probably fed up with seeing titles exactly like mine. But here's the case, I am under 18 and I go to a site with my uncle who is over 18. I have sprayed my M9 pistol black but it is broken so I was just using it to test so that has been put in a box out of the way. I recently got 'gifted' a G&G SR-L and I dislike the look of the paint and I also want to spray it black. Would I be doing anything wrong here as I am only using it for airsoft? The problem is that I might have to sometimes take a train up to my unlce's site with my rifle so if I was stopped what defense would I have?

Sorry for repeating a very common topic I just need confirmation that I have some ground in this :)

Both the offence and the defences to manufacturing a realistic imitation firearm make no mention of age. If you believe you would have a defence were you 18 then you have a defence. These apply to everyone equally. FYI you might get better results removing the two tone first (search the forum for fairy power spray).

The problem is that I might have to sometimes take a train up to my unlce's site with my rifle so if I was stopped what defense would I have?

You need to have a valid reason for possessing it (while travelling). What you are describing is as such, again age is irrelevant, though as a minor you may wish to carry some kind of "proof", to avoid having the police speak to your parent/guardian.

I think what's more interesting though is this:

I recently bought a G&G SR-L

You're under 18... how could you have bought this? You've just admitted to breaking the law:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/24A

24A Supplying imitation firearms to minors

(1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm.

For dramatic effect only, here's the sentence:

Section 24A(1) or (2)

Acquisition by a minor of an imitation firearm and supplying him.

Summary

In England and Wales, 51 weeks (jail/suspended) or a fine of level 5 on the standard scale, or both. In Scotland, 6 months, or a fine of level 5 on the standard scale, or both.

No worries though, a prosecution would never occur without aggravating circumstances; But nevertheless its serious offence

Both the offence and the defences to manufacturing a realistic imitation firearm make no mention of age. If you believe you would have a defence were you 18 then you have a defence. These apply to everyone equally. FYI you might get better results removing the two tone first (search the forum for fairy power spray).

You need to have a valid reason for possessing it (while travelling). What you are describing is as such, again age is irrelevant, though as a minor you may wish to carry some kind of "proof", to avoid having the police speak to your parent/guardian.

I think what's more interesting though is this:

You're under 18... how could you have bought this? You've just admitted to breaking the law:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/24A

For dramatic effect only, here's the sentence:

No worries though, a prosecution would never occur without aggravating circumstances; But nevertheless its serious offence

Sorry, it was gifted to me.

Sorry, it was gifted to me.

:P

FYI, I wrote that to educate, not to scare or suggest I seriously thought you broke the law. But you do have to be careful what you say, police are never off duty, if you said that at a skirmish... :) Plus you're also fingering whomever sold it, so not only is a statement like that an admission it's also an accusation.

:P

FYI, I wrote that to educate, not to scare or suggest I seriously thought you broke the law. But you do have to be careful what you say, police are never off duty, if you said that at a skirmish... :) Plus you're also fingering whomever sold it, so not only is a statement like that an admission it's also an accusation.

Fair point, thank you for your help :)

My 'Interpretation' is your not doing anything wrong as you are a skirmisher. Under 18 or not. The Onus is on the retailer/seller to make sure at point of sale they are supplying a RIF for the intended purpose (such as Airsoft, reenactment etc) Now it has been gifted to you it is your property to paint all you want!

But like I say that is my interpretation. The law is open to interpretation and abused because of this by criminals, police, judges and politicians and the rich alike!! :P

Just remember to act sensibly and package it well whilst in transit. A suitable gun bag/case or in its original box which has been covered will be fine and IF (big if) stopped be honest straight away about what you have and what it does, ie its a toy that shoots plastic bb's. dont scare a poor copper/steward/ticket inspector :D

My 'Interpretation' is your not doing anything wrong as you are a skirmisher. Under 18 or not. The Onus is on the retailer/seller to make sure at point of sale they are supplying a RIF for the intended purpose (such as Airsoft, reenactment etc) Now it has been gifted to you it is your property to paint all you want!

But like I say that is my interpretation.

Dood, this is very confusing. :)

What are you actually referring to.

Dood, this is very confusing. :)

What are you actually referring to.

I get the feeling hes giving an opinion on right or wrong rather than a legal stand point.

While sacarathes post was slightly sarcastic its exactly correct, its illegal to create (paint realistic/military colours) a RIF from an IF unless your of age and have a valid defence.

However, and i think this is kinda the point albiscuit is making maby? Unless receipts with serial numbers are provided, good luck to someone proving it wasn't already like that when it was gifted to you.

I get the feeling hes giving an opinion on right or wrong rather than a legal stand point.

While sacarathes post was slightly sarcastic its exactly correct, its illegal to create (paint realistic/military colours) a RIF from an IF unless your of age and have a valid defence.

However, and i think this is kinda the point albiscuit is making maby? Unless receipts with serial numbers are provided, good luck to someone proving it wasn't already like that when it was gifted to you.

Nope, age is irrelevant. :P

I was not trying to correct albiscuit with hostility or anything, just it is unclear to me which of the OPs questions he is referring to.

My 'Interpretation' is your not doing anything wrong as you are a skirmisher. Under 18 or not. | The Onus is on the retailer/seller to make sure at point of sale they are supplying a RIF for the intended purpose (such as Airsoft, reenactment etc) Now it has been gifted to you it is your property to paint all you want!

And now I get it, sorry albisuit!

Regarding advice above about the Fairy Power Spray (yeah I know the important bit), I did a bit of digging into that a month or two back to take paint off of a magpul stock. What I read then was that whilst it used to work the ingredients had changed and it no longer does.

Didnt try it in the end myself though.

Archived