Tokyo Marui VSR10 ASPUK Dan Mills Sniper One DIY Upgrade Kit *Pics*

Steveocee
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello anybody who reads this!

I'll start with that I'm Steve, I've been airsofting for about a year or so now at time of writing and this has been behind a very reliable Ares Amoeba AM-008. A let up in my financial situation has meant that I have some disposable cash to hand and not wanting it to all go over the bar of the local boozer I decided to find myself a long term project. (Watch how long term this ends up being).

So I bought myself a VSR GSPEC in Olive Green as a base model, yes I know if you're ripping the internals out go for a cheaper JG Bar10. NO! I don't work that way. So she arrived and was promptly unpacked and brandished around the work office for all to see. (How incredibly boring though).

I had already started the research into what parts seem to work better together than others, bits, nubs, levers, hops, barrels, stock fillings. Then I came across the ASPUK website. I'll just pop this in here, I am absolutely nothing to do with them, just a customer who has paid for everything off my own back. They seemed to have a decent set of parts and availability and a pretty good reputation to boot. So I stalked them for a while online and noticed on their facebook page an announcement about an endorsed upgrade kit becoming available. It had all the parts on my shopping list (nearly) and wasn't horrifically priced. I did some pondering and hit the pre-order button!

After a painful wait and countless hours stroking my VSR and telling her "soon baby, soon" the kit arrived. The box it arrived in was the start of the experience, it wasn't "just" a box. You know that feeling you get when you get a new iPhone and you're opening the box? I got that, hair standing up on the back of my neck, the full works. Everything just seemed to fit in place (unfortunately).

I got the kit back home and looking at the parts noticed the barrel seemed a bit long for what I expected, yep I'd got the wrong barrel, a Pro version where I thought I'd ordered the GSPEC. It was 2/3 days before christmas and I'm out on the 28th, no way was I going to get a postal swap before then so what did I do? 2 hour round trip thats what!

Whilst I was at ASPUK the guys were really welcoming and accommodating and allowed me to have a "play" with their Pro version which they had upgraded also, to get the feeling of the bolt pull, trigger and have a few test shots. Impressed was an understatement. I've fired a friends 490fps GSPEC and felt the ASPUK one was easier to pull and the trigger pull was so light. Expectations were very high!

So I made it back home with the right barrel in my presentation box. Shall we proceed now with the pics?

36133049965_b7276cf545_b.jpg

35290677404_2ef56203ef_b.jpg

36091031346_cf948d1a8c_b.jpg

First parts I fitted were the hop arm and the barrel. Fairly standard installation, I will point out though that the hop arm just feels sublime, the fit is better in my opinion than the standard one. It fits remarkably well and for a small piece of CNC'd metal, has a sexiness about it!

35998526681_9938912131_b.jpg

Right, barrel pic, I will add also that at time of purchase S1 barrel spacers are still prototype and aren't released so I have opted for the Laylax PSS ones for the GSPEC

36091030246_9444323ce3_b.jpg

Next up I built the cylinder, piston, spring units up. I've opted AGAINST adding extra PTFE and "O" rings at this point, I want to see what the kit can offer out of the box. Existing bolt lever moved over and it all looks very standard.

Trigger box next, this was some what of a complete backside to install, I hadn't realised but you need to remove the little brass inserts at either end before mounting it up as otherwise you can't reach the screws to screw it in. So after 15 minutes swearing at it and then realising that's how to do it I managed to get it installed. The trigger felt so light, almost like there was nothing there.

35290677034_45b63b91d3_b.jpg

So that's where we are as of 23/12/2016!

Yesterday I decided to stuff the stock with an old shirt I had lying around, buttons removed of course, and ensuring it is packed in tightly but not bulging out and as of this morning Santa has delivered me a nice Swiss Arms 3-9x50 scope.

I'm expecting to skirmish it on the 28th and spend some good time getting the scope zero'd but the important one is the chrono! I'm really interested to see what the kit delivers to this "virgin" sniper stripper and builder.

Today was the day. Took the VSR to my not so local "local" today and after a couple of shots getting the hop about set up and the scope semi-zeroed I headed off to the chrono to get it tested.

With 2 "clicks" on the hop, using 0.2's (for site conformity) the S1 kit managed to reproduce results in the range of 440-460 with most sitting around 450. This is bearing in mind a brand new hop rubber and also a brand new spring that needs to settle itself down a bit.

I'm going to speak with ASPUK to see if there are any "tricks of the trade" I should look to do as their rifle was running 504fps.

• Root Admin

Interesting that their new kit doesn't include a TDC-style hop unit like the AA is. I thought those were objectively better these days :S

Also surprised that they've gone with a coated alloy/aluminium/brass barrel rather than a steel one. I assume it's good right now but if it's anything like the existing ones then it'll be tricky to lap and will get really scratched up after a couple of years like the rest do/have.

Edit: £300 too

PDI 6.01 303mm - £65 shipped (around £85 with tax though)

AA hop unit - £45

Airsoft Pro black cylinder - £40

Airsoft Pro v3 90o trigger/piston (and spring) set - £80

Airsoft Pro cylinder head - £15

Airsoft Pro steel spring guide - £12

Barrel spacers (brand doesn't matter) - £15

Total: £292

One could even get a LayLax Zero Trigger in for around £350 (dropping the Airsoft Pro one, that is). I don't see why anyone should pick up these particular parts with the barrel and hop unit configured the way they are, but I suppose the ease of it is pretty good. I'd be interested to know who really makes the trigger as well, however.

Or you could get a full action army upgrade, also for £300!

AA Teflon Cylinder - £80

AA Trigger and Piston - £110

AA Spring Guide - £20

AA Spring - £10

AA 6.03 303mm Inner Barrel - £36

​AA Hop Up Unit - £44

This total is £290 including postage! (if all the parts bought from AIRSOFTWORLD.NET and if you apply the 15% discount code which you can get by liking their facebook page)

And to get you even better results you could add:

Maple Leaf AUTOBOT Hop Rubber - £12

Which will make the total of £302 for the full upgrade!

You can see these upgrades in action on youtube, go on to CLEASHOT 's chanel and he lately bought a full AA upgraded VSR G-Spec (exactly same upgrades that are above)

This thing is a beast and very accurate!

• Root Admin

I mean potentially the ASPUK set could be absolutely amazing because it's no secret that they make nothing in-house so are able to rebrand what they feel is the best combination of parts at that price point. The thing that gets me is that barrel, which is - at this point - basically objectively worse than a steel one with a good finish and the non-TDC hop unit. I don't know what they're thinking, but I suppose the hop arm choice could be attributed to a special bucking made to work with that? I dunno. Like I say, there are parts known to play nice with one another to the point that expensive ones lose out (such as the PDI hop unit being kinda meh with anything but the W-hold buckings, despite being a very expensive component).

The unfortunate truth is the people buying these over a mixed setup (or AA, or anything else) are going to be those who're probably making their first set up upgrades to a BASR and want the ease of having it all laid out there for them. As a result, I'd expect we'll see no real consensus for a while as people (subconsciously or otherwise) defend their purchase relative to a stock rifle and not one that's upgraded with more traditional and proven brands.

Also that 'Sniper One' thing - ew. I mean having read his book he is obviously the real deal, but how did ASG and ASPUK think that translates to airsoft? Is anyone buying that? How much additional cost is that adding to the product?

I'll take the hit on the nose and admit that yep as this is my first sniper I did want something relatively laid out. There was a minor dissappointment when I saw the barrel was how it is.

I'd done a bit of looking into parts and as mentioned, sometimes some bits work better with others and I was really relying on ASPUK to have put together a kit that would work.

I'll get onto the field a few more times and see how it performs for me and as/when I start seeing issues I'll probably look into what bits can be done better.

• Root Admin

Unfortunately - and I realise this is absolutely just my take right now - I've seen ASPUK creeping further towards working on their marketing and not on their products (though I know it's possible to do both by all accounts). These guys presumably now have the capital and have always had the know-how to get a really solid, in-house line of products down for sale but right now their Sniper One kit on paper just doesn't look very promising. I'm happy to eat my own words though if it works out.

The real issue is that as well-meaning as someone like yourself is, without a side-by-side comparison or even purely anecdotal experience of the somewhat tried and tested PDI, EdGI, AA VSRs then it's going to be tough to get a reliable verdict on whether this is worth the money. It'll certainly shoot much better than a stock VSR, but a consensus on whether it's better than a similar-budgeted build from the aforementioned manufacturers is something that'll take a good year to materialise I feel.

Just recently the SDiK has gone through the same trials and tribulations of being new on the market, needing revisions, having QC issues, needing a new regulator for CO2 etc. - just now is it starting to really be seen as a robust option for players. This is without the added complication of a very obvious marketing strategy involving a well-known author of a book (who I imagine is being paid in some way for putting his name and signature to a product). I'm always highly suspicious of how such things cut into the bottom-line of a product like this, because that money comes from somewhere.

Sorry, I don't meant to be harsh. By all accounts this is an excellent write-up and one of the first we've seen so hopefully you continue to update it.

Unfortunately - and I realise this is absolutely just my take right now - I've seen ASPUK creeping further towards working on their marketing and not on their products. These guys presumably now have the capital and have always had the know-how to get a really solid, in-house line of products down for sale but right now their Sniper One kit on paper just doesn't look very promising. I'm happy to eat my own words though if it works out.

The real issue is that as well-meaning as someone like yourself is, without a side-by-side comparison or even purely anecdotal experience of the somewhat tried and tested PDI, EdGI, AA VSRs then it's going to be tough to get a reliable verdict on whether this is worth the money. It'll certainly shoot much better than a stock VSR, but a consensus on whether it's better than a similar-budgeted build from the aforementioned manufacturers is something that'll take a good year to materialise I feel.

Just recently the SDiK has gone through the same trials and tribulations of being new on the market, needing revisions, having QC issues, needing a new regulator for CO2 etc. - just now is it starting to really be seen as a robust option for players. This is without the added complication of a very obvious marketing strategy involving a well-known author of a book (who I imagine is being paid in some way for putting his name and signature to a product). I'm always highly suspicious of how such things cut into the bottom-line of a product like this, because that money comes from somewhere.

Sorry, I don't meant to be harsh. By all accounts this is an excellent write-up and one of the first we've seen so hopefully you continue to update it.

Honestly not being taken in a harsh way. I appreciate the advice and comaprisons and completely agree, to me the weapon feels significantly better. I was lucky/unlucky enough not to use it in stock format so to me this is the base line and I'd be keen to get to some games where there are people with the tried and tested versions for them to compare mine to theirs. So far I've had 1 day under my belt and felt it was very successful. I could do with some range time to get my scope perfect but that will come with time.

At the weekend my friend the guy who "nudged" me into getting a sniper put a few rounds through it. His to my knowledge is mostly PDI parts with the same things swapped that mine has and it was a level comparison (difficult to side by side as he was using his new toy (LE H&K G28). He didn't have any direct criticisms (he's a mate though so probably wouldn't).

Steveocee, I just realised that there is a bullet in the box with the rifle (on the first picture), did the gun came with it or something? Usually they don't.

And where did you buy the rifle from?

Thanks

Steveocee, I just realised that there is a bullet in the box with the rifle (on the first picture), did the gun came with it or something? Usually they don't.

And where did you buy the rifle from?

Thanks

Hi Max2000,

Yes it came with it in the box. It was glued in and I guessed it was just part of the "Marui Magic"? I purchased the rifle from Fire-Support

Hmmm, nice! I live 10-15min away from fire-support! And i guess it only comes with live green vsr versions?!

I have been in the shop and seen the black version (G-Spec), there was no bullet in the box.

I gues i am going to get one from there, (olive as i dont really like painting my weapons, and it is already painted from factory...If you understand what i mean)

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Little bit of an update to this.

After having skirmished it a few times. I really did feel it was lacking a bit in the FPS department. With a decent chrono it was making about 465 on average which for an off the shelf kit didn't feel too bad but was hardly what I really wanted from it.

I contacted ASPUK and asked them about the barrel, somethign was itching me about it and I didn't think it was quite as good as it could have been, I wrote a very honest, complimentary but digging email commenting on my FPS results and what I could try and do to improve. ASPUK were really good with me and did admit the barrel can be better and that I may have some better results with an alternative.

I've since purchased a Laylax PSS barrel and that improved my FPS to around 475 on average along with PTFE taping the hop rubber to the new barrel. A nice little boost but still under what I really wanted it to be.

My next move was a bit stupid but ultimately got me to the place where I wanted to be, I saw an Action Army M170 spring on ebay from a UK seller for cheap so bought it on a whim, it was delivered and installed and then chronoing through it was coming in at 600FPS! Far too much but made me question the spring I already had in place, is the Sniper one spring any good at all? Yes it's bedded in but that much?

I fed back my information to ASPUK and raised the question, how good are the S1 springs? Could the AA one I tested be a touch strong or are the S1 springs a touch weak (giving them chance to tell me the AA one was strong)? On this occasion though the email didn't have much praise for anything else in the kit and I can't help but feel the constant want for feedback had ended at this point. I managed to source from AirsoftWorld an AA M150 to directly compare with the S1 spring. So I know that a new spring will perform better than one thats seen 10 games but straight out the box it was hitting 505, 506, 507 for me.

Happy days!

I've finally got the sniper I wanted!

I was so happy!

The VSR has been behaving extremely well since my last post in this thread. I’ve had fantastic performance for a long time with it however it’s currently in bits going through a bit of a transformation.

The ASPUK hop arm is gone, replaced by a Pantera and matching concave hub and the TM bucking is finally being replaced by an Autobot 70.

The barrel is being swapped from a 303 to a 430 and the muzzle cap is due to be drilled out this week (work permitting) and I’m going to wrangle a way of stabilising the barrel in the suppressor so the inner stays hidden.

If it ends up running a touch too high then I will most likely order a slightly lighter spring for it to bring me back down sub 500 and hopefully that will give a slightly easier bolt pull as well.

(It’s worth mentioning that the old parts such as hop arm and barrel are being donated to my “new” VSR which is going to be a 350, no MED build for more built up sites).

• 2 months later...

Last weekend brought tragedy.

Although she went out in a blaze of glory, the trigger unit has now totally failed. I can’t see the reason for it failing, just that when cocked the sears look to be engaging correctly but the mechanism is moving too far and getting stuck on itself.

I’ve ordered an AirsoftPro trigger set so the trigger, piston, guide and spring will be coming out. Can’t say it’s had a bad innings but still, it let me down when it was needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Stripped. Rebuilt and cause of problem found.

There is a small grub screw behind and above the trigger, I think it was some kind of adjuster for trigger pull (it's never made a difference) but turns out had worked itself half a turn loose but that meant that the trigger no longer engaged the release mechanism.

On site I tightened the screw but the trigger must have been in a "faulted" position and was tightened before the release was made causing it to bind (badly).

I've since ordered an AirsoftPro set, had it delivered and installed the new trigger and we're back in business. I ordered the full "kit" with piston, spring and guide but as the cylinder and internals weren't the cause I've left alone as I'm happy with what it's putting out (500 +/-1).

The older S1 trigger did always feel a bit "flim flam" and if you ever take one apart, make sure you have patience as they are a nightmare to put back together (not one to be field stripped). Fingers crossed the ASP 4.1 trigger will see me through a few more years.

Archived