Re-Assembly of a CA M14 Gearbox

Shaddow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

OK, So I picked up a Classic Army M14 a while back and have decided to DMR it. Stripping the gearbox down to uprate the gears and shim them as well for optimised performance. Took this time to also upgrade the piston, cylinder and spring.

Now that its all in, I am trying to re-assemble the gearbox, but having no luck.

I am sure it must be something simple I am doing wrong, but then I don't think anything on this gearbox is simple. Trying to hold the spring down in the cylinder, while holding the anti reversal latch and all gears in place when closing up the gearbox.

After several attempts, I managed to find a technique that worked, but the gearbox case will not fully close.

Doing a step by step install to find out what was preventing the gearbox from closing, I found it was the piston teeth that is pushing down on the gears, lifting the gear off at an angle and making it impossible to close the box.

I have tried looking at loads of youtube clips of gearbox re-assembly to see exactly how the piston teeth should mesh with the gears when re-assembling. But obviously when the spring is inserted, it pushes the piston all the way forward, lining up the rear "block" on the piston teeth rail with the gears, making it not mesh, but pushing down instead.

Hopefully that has explained my situation. Will try and get some photo's up, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Supporters

Hi mate

I think the G&G and CA M14 are very similar.

You probably have but have you seen my reassembly video of a G&G M14 EBR?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks, yeah believe I have watched the video. Unfortunately it does not really help with my issue about the piston teeth pushing down on the gear teeth and putting it at an angle, making it impossible to re-assemble.

Has anyone else had this issue with any other gearbox re-builds? Am I doing something wrong?

What gear set did you put in? It may be you have the wrong one as the m14/v7 box uses specific gears, just a thought

Aah, I have got a set of "Super Shooter 32:1" high torque gears. Are standard gear sets not compatible? Do I need to get M14 specific ones, or just V7 specific?

My understanding was that the gearbox is a bit of a mix and match between V2, V3 and V7 parts. Unfortunately I was not aware that the gears were specific.

I believe from memory that at least one of the gears is specific to v7 which is the box in your m14, if it's a v2/3 set then that's your issue

Yeah, might have to look at getting a V7 gear set. Will do a comparison with the old gears and the new ones.

This M14 is becoming more and more of a pain! better be awesome once I have finished all the upgrades.

Archived