Shoulder armour - molle

chris5887
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Today, almost 3 weeks later, I'm only just able to walk properly and completely pain-free (I've been hobbling around for weeks).

After all that the lesson learned is:

WEAR KNEEPADS - THEY PROTECT YOUR KNEES. This protection is nothing to do with bbs hitting your knees, it is protection against all the unknowns that airsoft entails as a sport. If I hadn't been wearing mine I know that my injury would certainly have been much worse.

Especially you guys who are older than me, there are a few 40+ guys who regularly play at my local site, and the last thing you need is a wonky knee when your recovery time will be longer than that of a 20 year old.

Listen youngster dont think just because we are older we are more fragile. Yes we take longer to heal but we are generally tougher than your soft ass generation.

Turned 40 in May and fractured my foot in 7 places playing a week later. Still got back out playing on it the same day and was back to sprinting on it 4 weeks later at the forum game. Three weeks for a little owie on your knee....... bloody girl.🙄

I never ready anything about OP wearing shoulder pads to make him impervious to any kind of hit. Although he did mention that he sustained an injury earlier on and wanted some extra protection. Personally, most of these shoulder pads have the hard ABS outer and you'd feel and hear a hit just fine - no different to a helmet.

I didn't quote others, but not all of that was for you sorry if it was rough or condescending in formatting. :) Same applies to this post.

I never ready anything about OP wearing shoulder pads to make him impervious to any kind of hit.

Everything about the original post says otherwise and it's clear the OP has not considered every angle, admittedly if he said he played exclusively CQB that'd be some leeway, and as always the impression distinction wins.

I summarise it like this "You play your game, we'll play our game; but when your game detrimentally impacts our game due to something which does not improve your game and only impedes ours then that's not right."

Read emphasis on game. :)

I realise there's the "but it hurts" counter argument, but the fact is that many airsoft bbs are not travelling with very much energy after 50% of the distance, this is what this is all about.

Not those few high power shots in the first 15-20m but the shots in the 20-90m ranges. :ph34r:

But the concern here is not whether or not he buys the shoulder pads, its the reason the OP wants them. If he wears them to a game, I'm not going to say anything, no one is - but before he's bought them, there is plenty to say about how that decision affects others, and instil some awareness.

If he goes on to buy it just for padding, no one really cares, if he goes and tells all his friends that no one raised an issue; I don't know about anyone else but I really care about that, it's not paintball and if we all pad up to the hilt CQB speedsoft will be all that's left.

EDIT:

Also, the "but it hurts" can be countered by the simple fact that padding does not actually help you play the game, because only dead players benefit... - if we assume a player is dead the first time they're hit.

For live players, whether you have armour or not does not affect whether their bb hit you, in most cases it makes you a larger target.

Funnily enough though, I have at time taken risks in game due to the fact that I have padding, but whether or not I got hit doing so still would have happened without the padding - thus the padding did not improve my game.

Thus if it doesn't improve my game, and is very potentially detrimental to another's game how on earth can I justify it?

I wear a plate carrier with foam, but it distributes the weight on my sling, holds my magazines before it protects me - in terms of motivation for using it. It also keeps me warm and helps with my posture.

It also allows me to rapidly transition between my primary and anything else I carry because I can just drop my rifle.

EDIT2: (TL;DR)

This is an interesting train of thought :D - so yeah, padding can't be justified because "don't get shot then" is just about all there is to say. But purpose can be justified, and if I oppose someone having an "impression" that's impeding their game.

EDIT3:

I tried playing a game day with my PC and a sidearm, after 1 game I ditched the PC because it didn't add to my game at all.

• Supporters

Listen youngster dont think just because we are older we are more fragile. Yes we take longer to heal but we are generally tougher than your soft ass generation.

Turned 40 in May and fractured my foot in 7 places playing a week later. Still got back out playing on it the same day and was back to sprinting on it 4 weeks later at the forum game. Three weeks for a little owie on your knee....... bloody girl.

What do you want? A medal?

Or a chest to pin it on?

Turned 40 in May and fractured my foot in 7 places playing a week later. Still got back out playing on it the same day and was back to sprinting on it 4 weeks later at the forum game. Three weeks for a little owie on your knee....... bloody girl.

Hahahaha top man!

my point remains though, padding to protect yourself from your surroundings (FAST helmets etc. included in this point) should be not put in the same category as padding against hits, and padding knees and your head is a good idea.

Oh. PS - getting older makes you more fragile - FACT.

Sorry pops ;)

• Supporters

What do you want? A medal?

Or a chest to pin it on?

Haha dont need a useless piece of tin and already own the other.

Just pointing out that age doesn't mean sod all and that being older just generally means we have learnt to tough things out rather than cry and give up.

Or just more stupid maybe.

It was also meant to be lighthearted but if you want to take umbrage go ahead.

Just pointing out that age doesn't mean sod all and that being older just generally means we have learnt to tough things out rather than cry and give up.

I got the light hearted bit - no need for the handbags ladies :)

my point remains though, padding to protect yourself from your surroundings (FAST helmets etc. included in this point) should be not put in the same category as padding against hits, and padding knees and your head is a good idea.

I think that falls under "purpose" or a sub cat of that for H&S. The intrinsic distinction between injury from BBs and injury from environment is not large though. I could write another essay on this too, I know exactly what I'd say. But I'm not going to.

Step 1. Wear whatever you like and don't judge others for what they wear.

Step 2. Do not wear anything that will lead to inability to recognise hits - ensure that your justification for Step 1 includes step 2.

Simple enough.

Step 1. Wear whatever you like and don't judge others for what they wear.

Step 2. Do not wear anything that will lead to inability to recognise hits - ensure that your justification for Step 1 includes step 2.

Simple enough.

Now hang there a minute, no one's judging anyone!

To be honest, at this point, everyone's arguing the same side of the argumwnt. More or less.

• Supporters

Sarcasm FTW!

No umbrage taken :)

• Moderators

Some long posts that I haven't read as on my phone and prob been answered but....you'll just get hit somewhere else, if you wear to much protection you won't feel the hits and players won't like it, it's all about honesty and feeling a hit is the best way, if only hurts for a few seconds, I always get hit on the side above where my chest rig comes round and clips on, I'm not going to buy more protection..... plus I'll sweat more, just walk back to regen and go back and play 😀😀

Ps I will come back and read the long ones

This is an interesting thread.

The reason I say this is because no one seems to have issues with osprey or plate carriers. Loads of pouches etc. Yet shoulder protection well that's a different issue.

Those that say padding protection etc. How many wear a face mask? Those that say realism of loadours. Well I have a garage full of various bits of issued protection and yes sometimes they are mandated. Combat nappies, shoulder protection, neck guards etc. Do I like or want to wear them at work? Nope. Can I site studies of speed v protection? Yep loads. So my take is wear what you want. Accept you may not feel it. But play honestly.

The reason I say the last, yes I don't post often but I have been in the game and yes that's what it is, for years, is because it's that. But pain is pain. So if someone wants to avoid it and I get that because it can hurt I won't judge that. It's all about honesty.

I know some will disagree. Wearing helmets. Can't feel it. Knee pads I snipe I can hit you when your in a poor fire position. Feel it? Nope. Day sacks? Feel it? Not a chance. Foot seen under a vehicle? Yeah I can also get you. That an issue? Nope.

Play well play fair and be honest. Been lit up on full auto and seen bbs flying past and just accepted it's the inevitable your going to get hit? Gonna happen take it and know the spirit of the game. Take it turn around and respect the player that got the drop on you.

• Supporters

The reason I say this is because no one seems to have issues with osprey or plate carriers. Loads of pouches etc. Yet shoulder protection well that's a different issue.

Those that say padding protection etc. How many wear a face mask? Those that say realism of loadours. Well I have a garage full of various bits of issued protection and yes sometimes they are mandated. Combat nappies, shoulder protection, neck guards etc. Do I like or want to wear them at work? Nope. Can I site studies of speed v protection? Yep loads. So my take is wear what you want. Accept you may not feel it. But play honestly.

The reason I say the last, yes I don't post often but I have been in the game and yes that's what it is, for years, is because it's that. But pain is pain. So if someone wants to avoid it and I get that because it can hurt I won't judge that. It's all about honesty.

I know some will disagree. Wearing helmets. Can't feel it. Knee pads I snipe I can hit you when your in a poor fire position. Feel it? Nope. Day sacks? Feel it? Not a chance. Foot seen under a vehicle? Yeah I can also get you. That an issue? Nope.

Play well play fair and be honest. Been lit up on full auto and seen bbs flying past and just accepted it's the inevitable your going to get hit? Gonna happen take it and know the spirit of the game. Take it turn around and respect the player that got the drop on you.

But how can you be honest if you dont feel it?

I do have an issue with plate carriers or any gear which prevents you feeling your hits. Pouches are acceptable because you need to carry stuff so that's unavoidable. Padding because you dont want to feel it or because you think it looks good is stupid though. All loadouts should be as minimal as possible to help prevent issues. Worst thing is idiots who wear back packs for an hour long game, its totally unnecessary and nothing anyone says will make believe that a bloody bergen is necessary to for a short skirmish.

Using face protection as an example was a bit daft though as there is a world of difference between an owie and a mouth full of broken teeth.

If anybody finds airsoft too uncomfortable then maybe lazer tag is more for them because the sting is an essential part of the game.

If you think that is about shoulder protection then you did not read the thread. I don't think anyone objected to the OP having shoulder armour, merely their reason for wanting it which is objectionable.

Furthermore, I did not mention this before, but the OP said "I keep getting hit where there's no padding". Has the OP considered people might have been doing that deliberately?

I've had a few games where I watched a bunch of tracer rounds bounce off someone back, on one occasion the guy turned around, shot at me dived for cover and had the audacity to moan because I completely ignored his hits on me and continued to advance, for the rest of that day I shot that particular guy in the thighs.

Personally, I would say there's no issue with wearing as much armour as you like if it has a hard outer material - you don't need to feel it, but as long as you know it's there, and you call your hits, there's no issue. No different to a helmet where you can't feel a thing but hear the distinctive "crack" of a BB. I'm just about to start a new thread on some real military stuff in relation to this.

Personally, I would say there's no issue with wearing as much armour as you like if it has a hard outer material - you don't need to feel it, but as long as you know it's there, and you call your hits, there's no issue. No different to a helmet where you can't feel a thing but hear the distinctive "crack" of a BB. I'm just about to start a new thread on some real military stuff in relation to this.

As I said above, once the BBs reach a certain distance of travel, there is not enough energy left to "hear" them if you can't feel it.

Just so you know, I use a helmet, plate carrier, and battlebelt when I play. I am not padding free like Imtriggerhappy, though I have played cqb in just a tshirt and bare arms and 330 fps at 2 feet to the chest is painful!

Gents I must say this thread has raised some interesting and valid points... I appreciate the advice of much more seasoned players than myself, admittedly it was as much curiousness as to whether it could be done as opposed to any practical purpose (something which has been raised here) perhaps keeping the weight of the load out down plus being able to get my rifle into position more quickly I feel is much more important having played CQB again since, still learning as I go, again though the advice is much appreciated

• Supporters

There are people that want to wear loads of protection, there are those that will just play in a t-shirt (and shorts even). The issue isn't about how much protection you have or don't have (although there is always some willy waving from both camps) it's about whether or not you call your hits. Now, I wear what I feel is functional and what works for me. Have I missed hits because they're hit my chest rig and not me? Sure, I don't doubt it. Do I try my best to make sure I DO take my hits? Absolutely. If you wear a lot of "protective gear" then you just have to try and be extra vigilant that you're not pissing everyone off by inadvertently not taking hits. I've seen just as many PC wearing guys that take every single hit as I've seen people playing in just t-shirt and jeans with a belt rig that play like they're surrounded by a personal force field.

Of course, if you're doing it deliberately then you're breaking rule No.1 - "Don't be a dick".

Archived