Shoulder armour - molle

chris5887
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guys looking some more advice - I currently own an 8Fields Hard Armour Plate Carrier, found side pouches for some protection - keep getting hit where there's no Armour, on that note I'm wondering, I've seen some Flye shoulder pads and wondered if they can be fit to any molle vest? If not are there any alternatives?

Struggling to find anything about how they are worn but I love them! At that price it's probably worth just going for it and finding out. I might!

As for Airsoft - LARP... Who cares. I'm pretty sure all that multiglam we wear has little to do with its camouflage value. I'd guess it's because we like to 'roleplay' rather than having our faces actually blown off

Take from airsoft what you will. An awesome and (usually..) welcoming game/community that allows as much or as little imagination as you see fit.

• Supporters

I kind of agree with Sacarathe on this.

Yes if someone wants to dress up and fantasy role play thats up to them and whether you find it sad or not it does no harm.

But padding up is a different thing. Even with a minimal loadout there is still a good chance of the odd hit not being felt but when people go full armadillo it gets stupid. Everybody in airsoft moans about people not taking hits but I honestly believe its not malicious cheating most of the time its just people wearing too much gear. If the pain of a bb hit bothers someone that much then maybe this isn't the game for them. I wear a t-shirt most of the time and have even played in a morph suit and I am not dead yet.

At the end of the day its your choice but is it necessary or does it just detract from the sport?

That's it though buddy, choice. I agree fully regarding overprotection leading to not registering hits, however, I see constant negative attitude with regard to whether we're allowed an imagination in airsoft.

If you don't really see the roleplay side of it, which I personally don't so much, that's fine but I certainly wouldn't impose negativity on someone that does.

I suppose it's the wrong topic though and you've brought it home - this is about protection rather than imagination, in which I agree, if you're going to play airsoft, expect a little sting!

Agreed. Budget wise: 20% Eyepro, 80% GUN, 15%glam.. Wait what?

I draw the line at close range nose shots though... That's just too much :(

(Apologise for the hijack Mr Op)

Just a simple yes or no, grow up please.

Figured I'd be a bigger dick if I pointed out that for most airsoft players almost all gear serves a function which is primary over protection. For example I wear a plate carrier with foam, but it distributes the weight on my sling, holds my magazines before it protects me - in terms of motivation for using it. It also keeps me warm and helps with my posture.

But padding up is a different thing.

Exactly, OP, you might not like what I said, and I was trying to make a joke about your motivation, but padding for paddings sake (as opposed to impact force reduction - shemags, baggy clothes, etc) only serves to detract from the fun.

Now, if you're going for an "impression" from a game, movie, book, army, etc - that's entirely different - with regards to superfluous padding.

Just a simple yes or no, grow up please.

If you pad up too much people will shoot you in the legs. This is what always happens.

Gief link to the shoulder pads you're talking about, so we can get back on topic.

I just wear a hoody with chest rig. Can't say shoulder hits are that much of a sting myself. Now tip of the trigger finger that's a sore spot.

Thanks folks for your thoughts on the matter - was unfortunate enough to be injured recently (not the shoulder) but regardless it has made me a little more cautious with regards to a sport I otherwise very much enjoy, see both sides of the argument though I suppose loadouts are a personal matter and that's what it's down to, cheers anyway

As odd as it sounds i deliberately go out of my way to not pad out the gear i wear wherever possible to avoid not noticing hits.

You cant not call a hit when it stings like a bastard and leaves some nice marks.

my motto is if you are not bleeding you have not played hard enough.

quality motto.

Dress up is fine as long as you are not a geardo snob who looks down on those that don't subscribe to all that.

As for a little sting my motto is if you are not bleeding you have not played hard enough.

Wait I have broken 2 fingers in my last 2 games am I operator then?

How can any of us take the piss out of any of us for wearing or wanting to wear any outfit? The only person that could would be a serving soldier... but only one that didn't play pewpewpew with toy guns..... who wouldn't actually be on this forum!

Get the F over yourselves.

It is a game.

You are no better in ya glam rock gear than a chap in tracky bottoms and a hoody.

Stop being judgemental twats!

• Supporters

How can any of us take the piss out of any of us for wearing or wanting to wear any outfit? The only person that could would be a serving soldier... but only one that didn't play pewpewpew with toy guns..... who wouldn't actually be on this forum!

Get the F over yourselves.

It is a game.

You are no better in ya glam rock gear than a chap in tracky bottoms and a hoody.

Stop being judgemental twats!

Dont think anyone in this thread has been judgemental.

General consensus seems to be dressing how you want for looks is fine but padding up so you dont feel it is detrimental to the game.

You seem to have gone off half cocked there mate.

Dont think anyone in this thread has been judgemental.

General consensus seems to be dressing how you want for looks is fine but padding up so you dont feel it is detrimental to the game.

You seem to have gone off half cocked there mate.

I'm with PT on this one 100%.

So often on this forum I see someone ask a question, then someone else answer by not actually answering, but instead just disagreeing completely. The question Chris asked was "can Flyye shoulder pads be fitted to a molle vest? If not, are there any alternatives?". Not "Should I wear Flyye shoulder pads?", not "Will I be judged for wearing shoulder pads?", not "What does everyone think about armour?", but "can they be fitted to a molle vest?".

Yet the very first reply is just a sarcastic dig taking the piss. And it took 10 replies until someone finally sends OP a resource actually kind of helpful.

Get over it. OP wants shoulder pads? It's not down to you, me or anyone to say he can't, and this thread certainly isn't a place to have that discussion.

Yet the very first reply is just a sarcastic dig taking the piss. And it took 10 replies until someone finally sends OP a resource actually kind of helpful.

Get over it. OP wants shoulder pads? It's not down to you, me or anyone to say he can't, and this thread certainly isn't a place to have that discussion.

Education and fairness always has a place.

Guys looking some more advice - I currently own an 8Fields Hard Armour Plate Carrier, found side pouches for some protection - keep getting hit where there's no Armour, on that note I'm wondering, I've seen some Flye shoulder pads and wondered if they can be fit to any molle vest? If not are there any alternatives?

No, the OP very clearly indicated an intention to keep padding up, not only to deliberately impede feeling hits but to keep trying to cover up more and more for the sole sake of 'padding'.

We're happy to help people, but people should be told that padding for paddings sake is detrimental to the game of 'others'.

My comment was meant to be humorous, not at face value, and not sarcastic, but because shoulder armour is equally pointless (yet exaggerated) in LARP, but padding for padding/protection in paintball. I italicised the comment because I did not intend sarcasm.

I will defend what has been said here, I asked the same questions when I was new, and if I have been rude to OP in turn i am sorry, but there is no malicious intent.

Understand me, padding which makes it impossible to 'feel' a hit, for that sole or primary purpose (>50%) is WRONG. Just like free speech rhetoric, I will stand up for wearing anything in airsoft when it's purpose is not the deliberate (irrespective of malicious intent, lack of awareness, or otherwise) harm to the enjoyment of the sport by others.

Understand, there is a difference between padding which reduces the force of BBs hitting your skin, and padding rendering BBs impossible to feel. If that 'clothing' in the latter case is not for some other purpose, it is wrong.

But also understand the accepted caveat that making an "impression" (a certain look) IS a purpose.

As far as shoulder padding is concerned, I'm going to stay away from this one, there have been enough opinions on this post already.

What i will say though, is PAD YOUR KNEES.

I'm 20-odd and consider myself reasonably fit.

3 weeks ago, we had a skirmish at my local site - on the last game of the day (literally 5 minutes before the end), I found myself at the top of one side of a deep, narrow V-shaped valley (which was about 8 feet deep). On the other side, at the top was a team mate of mine needing a medic.

After hitting his 'killer' I moved to medic my teammate back into the game. I started to take the steep side of the valley at a bit of a run (too steep to just walk down)... Unfortunately a vine, or a stick or something pulled my feet from underneath me - leaving me to fall the remaining 4 or 6 feet or so, with nothing to land on but my knees.

I always wear one and only one knee-pad on my right knee. Most of my weight landed on my right knee.

Today, almost 3 weeks later, I'm only just able to walk properly and completely pain-free (I've been hobbling around for weeks).

After all that the lesson learned is:

WEAR KNEEPADS - THEY PROTECT YOUR KNEES. This protection is nothing to do with bbs hitting your knees, it is protection against all the unknowns that airsoft entails as a sport. If I hadn't been wearing mine I know that my injury would certainly have been much worse.

Especially you guys who are older than me, there are a few 40+ guys who regularly play at my local site, and the last thing you need is a wonky knee when your recovery time will be longer than that of a 20 year old.

I suppose the same principal could be applied to shoulder pads, but I've certainly smashed my knees into the ground a lot more than I have my shoulders while playing.

Education and fairness always has a place.

No, the OP very clearly indicated an intention to keep padding up, not only to deliberately impede feeling hits but to keep trying to cover up more and more for the sole sake of 'padding'.

We're happy to help people, but people should be told that padding for paddings sake is detrimental to the game of 'others'.

My comment was meant to be humorous, not at face value, and not sarcastically, but because shoulder armour is equally pointless (yet exaggerated) in LARP, but padding for padding in paintball. I italicised the comment because i did not intend sarcasm.

I will defend what has been said here, i asked the same questions when i was new, and if i have been rude to OP in turn i am sorry, but there is no malicious intent.

Understand me, padding which makes it impossible to 'feel' a hit, for that sole or primary purpose (>50%) is WRONG. Just like free speech rhetoric, I will stand up for wearing anything in airsoft when it's purpose is not the deliberate (irrespective of malicious intent or awareness, thus intentional or otherwise) harm to the enjoyment of the sport by others.

Understand, there is a difference between padding which reduces the force of bbs hitting your skin, and rendering bbs impossible to feel. If that 'clothing' in the latter case is not for some other purpose, is wrong. Understand making an "impression" IS a purpose.

I never ready anything about OP wearing shoulder pads to make him impervious to any kind of hit. Although he did mention that he sustained an injury earlier on and wanted some extra protection. Personally, most of these shoulder pads have the hard ABS outer and you'd feel and hear a hit just fine - no different to a helmet.

Archived